“Spend more for a nicer room...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Edwardian San Francisco Hotel

You added Edwardian San Francisco Hotel to your Saves list
Edwardian San Francisco Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1668 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Hayes Valley)   |
Ranked #138 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
“Spend more for a nicer room...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We paid $118/night plus $15/night for parking. The hotel IS in downtown SF so I can't technically complain about the price. However, the room us far from beinf kept up. There were holes in the wall alm around the window that they never botheres to patch up. The room is so small it makes inside cabins on a cruise ship feel luxurious (I've stayed in several so I can honestly say this is true). The room feels like I'm in someone's old house. There wasnt even room to place my suisecase flat or my husband's duffle. Any more luggage than that and its over crowded. Its tight with just 2 adults!!

This is an OK place if you just need a room to sleep in....nothung else
if you plan on spending time in your hotel room, book somewhere else. It is also EXTREMELY noisy at night. I couldnt imagine spending more than a day or two here.

On the PLUS side, why I booked it, is because it is right on the F line. We didnt have to use our car to see all the hot spots. Also theres a wine bar right next door :-D

Would i stay here again? No way. But it will do when we only have 1 whole day to spend here.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

First and foremost, don't pay attention to all Traveler photos because they are old. Hotel is undergoing renovations as of Jan this year!

*** Hotel is: well located; It's not located in the heart of Union Square or Fisherman's wharf but the hotel is located in a safe area and ON Market street (the longest street in SF) which direct access via tram, bus or bart to anywhere downtown in less than 10 minutes (that's being conservative), Fisherman's Wharf or opposite direction towards the Mission district and the Castro.

- Outside appearance: there is a new awning, a new front facade

- Interior: new carpet in the hallways/stairs, new paint job on each floor

- Rooms: The ones that have been renovated (not complete yet) have new mattresses, new linens on the beds, beautiful bathrooms, unique lamps, etc. Management/ownerships seems to be really investing on the property

Definitely worth a second look -

Room Tip: ask for a renovated one!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Alamosa, CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I got delayed coming in on my flight so I didn't make it to San Francisco until 1 am where my friend picked me up from the airport. Since we didn't know if I was going to make it in we hadn't reserved anything. There were no rooms to be found, fully booked.

We finally found one at the Edwardian but couldn't find the location because there was no sign up. We called the night person many times trying to find the location. Once there we paid$130 but it did say we could have a late checkout since we got in so late. We ran up to the room before getting the rest of our luggage from the car. Find the toilet didn't flush and was full from the last occupants was a little shock. We told the desk clerk of our problem and he went up to fix it while we got our bags. You do have to park in public parking a block down the street. When we got back he said he couldn't fix the toilet, we asked if we could just fill a garbage bucket with water to dump in the tank so we could flush each time. (Remember it was 2am by this point so I just wanted sleep). So we went up and then found there was no running cold water, which I am sure he should've noticed when he went up. Hence, the reason the toilet didn't flush. Well the bed was clean and comfy, but we were woke up to the windows almost be rattled off the hinges by a garbage truck at 5 am. We called down and told them we had no cold water and about the toilet. The maintenance man got both fixed in 5 mins. The manager downstairs was very apologetic and said the plumber had been there the day before working and didn't hook everything back up . The sign that was missing out front was being installed while we were leaving. And the entire 4th floor was under renovations which did explain the problems. Would I try this again, yes I would if I could get a better deal than other hotels around us.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

The hotel is an easy tram-ride to anywhere a tourist will want to visit more or less. It is in a cool area with nice bars and restaurants a short walk away. The people at the hotel are helpful and friendly. However, we found the rooms a bit small and slightly run down. Other than this, I cannot fault it

• Stayed April 2012
Kansas City, MO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

After walking the blocks neccessary to get there from the Civic Center Bart station I couldn't find it. I had the address right, but there was no signage. The name of the Hotel is only on the AWNING, which was not there due to the ongoing renovations.. When I figured out that I had the right place I pulled on the door and it was locked. Not a good first impression. So the area is so sketchy that they have to lock the door in broad daylight? As I entered the lobby I was assailed with the smell of toilet cleaner. It was noon by this time and I was told that I couldn't check in because the housekeeper wasn't there yet, 2:30 is customary? So I left my bag and went out to explore the city. The attendant was very helpful with recomendations for eateries in the area, how to use the F train that stops right in front of the building, etc. When I returned much later to check in the elevator wasn't operating and I had to walk up. No problem, but when I got to the second floor there were workers there preparing the subfloor for new carpeting. Wouldn't you tell someone that made a reservation that there were renovations underway and that the hammering would commence every morning you were there at 9am promptly?

The room barely fit a double bed, there was no desk to put my laptop on, no pen to write down interesting places to visit. There is no AC and no ceiling fan, but San Francisco provided the breeze when necessary. The bath seemed to have been already renovated and clean but the shower head was a $9.99 affair that had no adjustments to it. On my second day the room service interrupted my 7pm nap to finally get around to cleaning the room.

The day I checked out the Hotel manager was in the miniscule lobby, with her dog, in her tank top, shorts and flip flops. How unprofessional is that?

It wasn't an aweful experience, but it wasn't good either. Maybe when the renovations are complete they can concentrate on guest services. Unlock the door during the day and hide the manager where she can do no more harm. Plastic glasses in the rooms? Really? This place could be a true San Francisco gem, they're trying but have a long way to go. If you just need a cheap place to sleep that is a good location, you're going to be fine. I haven't been home long enough to find out if the bed bug stories are true but I didn't experience any bites when I was there. I loved the helpful, friendly staff and might come back, just to see if they have conquered any of thier demons. kadhee@hotmail.com (because I think it's cowardice to write a bad review without identifying yourself)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

We recently stayed at the Edwardian for our 24 hour trip in San Francisco. This hotel was not by any means "luxury" so if thats what you are looking for, then this is not it. However, if what you are looking for is a nice, clean, comfortable place to stay, that is in a great location, this is the place for you. We were looking to stay on Market street, not spend an arm and a leg, and be close to public transportation. There is an F line Muni stop right out in front of the hotel which takes you to Castro district, Fishermans Wharf, Pier 39 and the alcatraz ferry station. We were able to see everything we wanted to see in San Francisco, because of this convienence. The staff was very helpful to us two girls who had never been to San Francisco before and had NO IDEA where we were going! I recommend this hotel for sure!

Room Tip: no swimming pool and no fitness center. More of a "homey" type feel of a hotel. or bed and...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

This hotel was extremely disappointing and do not recommend staying here. Although the staff was friendly and the location is good, the room I stayed in had no heat,(with the exception of a very small space heater I had to put on a chair and point at the bed), the shower head fell off when I tried to adjust it, and it took a very long time to get hot water. Additionally, there was no refrigerator, microwave, coffee machine, or lobby coffee service......three very standard and important things in most hotels provide.

Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Edwardian San Francisco Hotel? Share your experiences!