“A Night At The W” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W San Francisco

You added W San Francisco to your Saves list
W San Francisco
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   181 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94103 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Cyber Monday Exclusive
Ranked #63 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
California
“A Night At The W”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We were in the City celebrating a friends 50th and decided to stay at the W. This was our first visit to one of these hotels, so we weren't sure what to expect. We were impressed. The lobby does not have much to offer, but our room was great. We were on the 23rd floor in a corner room with great views of San Francisco. The decor was modern and the room was very clean.
Service was excellent, from the valet to the check in desk. We had dinner with 16 people at Traces restaurant and our food was very good. I recommend this hotel to anyone visiting SF.
It is centrally located and close to the Financial District and many fine restaurants and stores.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Alexa W, Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Hello!

Thanks for choosing to celebrate with us! It sounds like you had a wonderful time with us! I'm glad you loved your room and had a chance to check out TRACE. Chef Jason is truly gifted and all the food is locally sourced. We even have our own garden on the rooftop. On your next visit, head to Upstairs Bar for a more intimate setting.

See you next time,
Alexa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

We are here now in a fabulous corner room. The hotel is nice, but we were disappointed to learn that you have to pay to use the sauna and steam room. We just came from the Four Seasons where this was included for all guests. It should not be an extra service, especially since the spa/gym area is under renovation.

Stayed May 2014
Alexa W, Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Hi Emily!

Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad that you are enjoying your corner room and find our hotel comfortable. Use of the spa facilities is not complimentary, but understand your frustration with the limited amenities while we are renovating FIT. We invite you back to experience the finished product at the end of the summer. If you have any issues, please reach out to us @WSANFRANCISCO and we would be happy to help!

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

First time ever in SF, and loved staying at the W. My husband had booked our stay, and he did a great job! There was hot chocolate and cookies in the lobby by the check in counter. It was probably the best hot chocolate I ever had! Ok, back to the hotel: clean, colorful, modern room with a view of the city.

We had breakfast in their café/restaurant on one day. The food seemed really fresh, and cooked with very little oil. It was not typical restaurant quality. We had some type of eggs, and waffles.Their waffles were really good!

Great customer service, and just a great stay over all.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel was close enough to walk to a lot of places so that was nice. But when we were staying there the gym and pool were not available. The hotel is very busy all the time. The corner in front of the hotel is packed with people trying to get a cab who aren't necessarily staying at the hotel so it was nice that the cab drivers gave hotel guests first chance at a ride if the valets flagged them down. I prefer a more quaint hotel, less bustling and less of a feeling that I had to dress to the nines just to go to the lobby. The room was nice but standard for a W. Very trendy and bright with lots of mini bar options. We have stayed at the W in Minneapolis, Miami, Chicago and Dallas and this one was middle of the road for me.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are in an excellent spot to explore everything that San Francisco. If you need some recommendations we'd love to connect you with our Insider Gordon. He knows all the best places off the beaten path.

Our gym, FIT, is undergoing a huge renovation and will be opening by the end of the summer. Unfortunately, we will no longer have a pool. It will be replaced with a beautiful terrace and great meeting space.

Our WHEELS team does an amazing job ensuring our guests have top priority near our hotel. We usually have cabs lined up and ready to go for your convenience.

I hope to see you on your next visit!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I've stayed at the W in many cities and this one doesn't quite make the grade. The gym and roof top pool is being renovated (no disclosure on booking), the overnight valet is 4x parking around the corner and the Wifi from room to lobby or restaurant doesn't port so you need to log on multiple times (this cost me $300 in roaming charges) so pay attention to your phone or turn off 3/4G. On the upside the food is fantastic, Saturday night at the bar is very good with good tunes and a great atmosphere and you are easy walking distance to union, mission, market and the embarcedero. I stayed at the Westin St Francis on Union Square for 5 nights prior and felt I went from 1920 to modern era when I moved to the W. They could do with a few screens in the bar for game nights (there is not a single screen anywhere). They could take some lessons from the W in Bangkok in terms of room set up but all in all rooms are good / same in size as the Westin St Francis. I'd stay again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Alexa W, Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Yes, we are currently undergoing the renovation of our gym, FIT, and are planning to re-open it near the end of the summer. In the meantime, we have a temporary gym set up near Bliss Spa. We will not be re-opening our pool, but can set up access to a sister property if need be. The Living Room is a great place to grab a cocktail and hang out. If you are looking for a place to catch a game, our Insider Gordon would be happy to recommend a few places.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I stayed for 6 nights in this hotel during a meeting at the Convention Center next door. The location of this hotel is perfect -- literally next to the convention center, next to the beautiful Yerba Buena garden, and close to great restaurants. It is a walking distance to all attractions downtown. My room was lovely, and I truly enjoyed my stay. This is not the first time I have stayed in this hotel -- I spent another week in in 6 years ago. As in other W hotels, interiors of lobbies and rooms change, and I loved my room much better this time than before. The lobby was very convenient, and ample sitting space. My room had a beautiful view too!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hello!

We are glad to welcome you back after so many years! Our location is perfect for business travelers or leisurely stays. If you are looking to explore more of San Francisco, let us connect you with our Insider Gordon. He knows of all the best places to visit for a great meal or to experience a piece of San Francisco.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Would not recommend this to anyone unless it's the only hotel available.

----Prso:
* Within easy walking distance of the Moscone
* Nice bar area
* Multiple format usb charger in the room that could connect to just about any device

----Cons:
* With a large convention in town, serious price gouging. Rooms were easily 2x their normal price ($500+/night for a room that normally could be found for around $200-250). Although to be fair other hotels in the area were doing the same thing.
* Mold in the shower tiles/grout. Unacceptable, especially considering what they're charging.
* Tiny rooms. I've had military barracks rooms bigger than this. Certainly not what I would expect for the price being charged. If you had 2 people in a room, it would easily get cramped.
* No convenience store. Most hotels will have a couple of shelves with aspirin, shaving cream, etc for sale. Something that you may want without trying to find a local drug store. Nothing like that here.
* Internet costs - Ok, I know it's a rule of thumb that the more expensive the hotel, the more expensive the wifi. But, charging $15/day for something McDonalds gives away for free is a bit ridiculous.
* Room Service costs - Again, the more expensive the hotel the more they gouge you. But, $14 for a grilled cheese sandwich, plus $3 delivery charge, plus 20% service fee, plus taxes. Who wants a $20 cheese sandwich.
* No coffee machine in the hotel room.
* They try too hard to upcharge.
** A number of water bottles spread throughout the room with tags that say "drink me" and the $5.00 charge in small print.
** The refrigerator was jammed full of mini-bar bottles. Had to clear out their stuff to make room for a couple of cokes I had with me
** Ever time I started up an internet browser, they made me go through a proxy page that was trying to get me to upgrade my connection speeds, at additional cost

----Other thoughts:
* Downstairs is a almost entirely a bar area. Coming into the hotel, I wasn't sure I was in the right building. Check-in is tucked away in a corner.
* Elevators where heavily perfumed with some sort of incense or something. To me, smelled like someone who uses patchouli to cover not bathing. Someone with a perfume allergy could have issues.
* Gym/pool was closed for renovations. Not really a con, it happens. Although being told that before reserving the room would have been appreciated.

Room Tip: Rooms are tiny, if you have 2 people get largest floor space you can