“Wonderful location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W San Francisco

Save Saved
You added W San Francisco to your Saves list
W San Francisco
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   181 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94103 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #56 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My colleagues and I stayed at this property while attending a trade show recently. The location, whether traveling for business or leisure, is perfect! Easy access to the Bay Bridge (although rush hour traffic is very bad), and across the street from the Moscone convention centre. A couple of blocks away from Market St and all the shopping. Walk to Union Square only a few blocks. Lots of restaurants accessible by walking. Clean and bright rooms, beautiful views of the Bay bridge. Fun lounge for drinks after work, or kicking back after a day of shopping/sight seeing. Breakfast at Trace is tasty, however service extremely slow especially when in a large group and on a schedule. Prices of drinks/breakfast are standard hotel rates. Price of valet parking ($56 tax included) is excessive. Front desk service although friendly, lacks detail and attention. For example, I was not acknowledged as Starwood Gold when checking in, therefore there was unnecessary confusion afterwards regarding wifi access. My colleague who is Starwood Gold for life requested a cup of tea in her room one morning (only coffee available in the room) and they sent her walking to a cafe up the street instead of bringing a tea bag to her room. They also sent her to the cafe further away, neglecting to mention the closer Starbucks around the corner! However, when concierge made a dinner reservation for us, they arranged complimentary champagne and appetizer. Front desk was also helpful when we had to send a package through FedEx. So although service was hit or miss, it was a pleasant stay overall. I will reconsider staying here again however, if we have a car with us, as I find parking fee unreasonable. Will have to research what it is at other properties in the area.

Room Tip: Request room with a view of the Bay bridge
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Claudia N, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Hi Exotic_Flower21,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback on your W experience with the online community. It's great to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location, the room ambiance and our delicious breakfast at Trace. While we do not have any control over the parking rates as they are competitive, I'd like to apologize for the few certainly unintentional misses. I am glad to know that overall you had a great time with us and that you consider returning. Whenever you plan to come back, please do not hesitate to contact me directly, as I would like to make sure that your next stay will be all hits and no misses!
Thank you for choosing W and we are looking forward to welcoming you back!
Warm Wishes,

1,308 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My (then) boyfriend (now fiance) had surprised me with a trip to SFO for a 4-day getaway. The W was the perfect place to stay! It's modern, clean, friendly, and close to many amenities and tourist areas. The entry/concierge area is like the Hotel Max (in Seattle) and has a nice bar with great cocktails.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Hello, and congratulations on getting engaged! We love hearing when someone puts a ring on it!
I am so happy to hear that it was a perfect experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

We hear San Francisco is an amazing place to have a honeymoon!

Looking forward to it,
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I staying in this hotel mid-week to attend a show in San Francisco. Even though we were using Starwood points for the stay we were treated like royalty (being British this is important, of course!). Upon entering the hotel lobby we were immediately greeted with a friendly smile from Claudia at the checking desk. She informed us that we had been upgraded to a better room than we had booked, gave us a couple of coupons for cocktails at the bar and checked us in quickly. The W offers a free car shuttle in an Acura SUV so we booked that for the evening. The guy on the desk said that they finished around the time we needed the ride and the destination was beyond their 5 mile service area but he would let us use the service anyway. We went to our room which was on a corner so two window views - the Moscone Center and Mission St. were our views. Very modern room, great amenities and the most comfortable bed. We had a quick bite to eat in the upstairs bar (newly renovated) - fancy burger, chicken sandwich, beer, wine, etc. Very nice young lady served us and was always very attentive. Overall, we had a great stay; excellent service from everyone we met in the hotel staff. Will definitely stay there again. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. Great views and very light.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Boddies2,
Thank you so much for the incredibly kind review. It's just so wonderful to hear back from our guests with such amazing comments! It's by far the perfect experience we'd like all of our guests to share after leaving the W San Francisco and it's what we so proudly work for every day: to provide our guests with a memorable stay! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the Acura service, our room decor and all of our amenities as well as the food served at the bar. Thank you once again for your compliments and for recommending us to other travelers. Should you ever plan to visit San Francisco again, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.
I will be happy to assist with anything in order to make your stay extra-special!
Kind Regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I previously stayed a night at a hotel in Fisherman's Wharf and this rest of the trip I wanted to stay somewhere downtown, around Union Square. I am a SPG member so I'm always looking to stay at a W hotel.

First location: being that your going to do a lot of walking in San Francisco, this is the best location for the area. Not too far from a BART station, across the street from the convention center and the Metreon which has a movie theater and some great places to eat. Maybe five blocks from Union Square where there's stores and restaurants nearby. I did a lot of walking so I was able to walk to AT&T Ballpark, walked by Ubisoft and even made to the Embarcadero.

Now the hotel: The lobby bar area had a nice vibe to it, a cool place to grab a quick drink or a place to hang out at night on the weekend. I decided to get a pedicure/foot massage from Bliss Spa and they did great work, love that place and there products. A little pricey but worth it to me. Hotel staff was professional and very helpful. Clean, comfortable and quiet rooms, the best beds(I had a king) and fantastic decor.I was upgraded to a corner room with free wifi. The wifi was fantastic, almost like the router was in my room. I recommend booking this hotel when going to San Francisco. I'll be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hello, and thank you for providing a review on your stay with us! First, we love having SPG members in house, and I thank you for your continued loyalty to W Hotels!

I agree, our SOMA location is perfect for experiencing a neat part of town, with easy access to everything else.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time!

Thanks again,
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great location. Walking distance to good restaurants, market and the wharf. Staff is wonderfully accommodating. The concierges were spot on with reservations and suggestions. Rooms are W in that they are bright and light and up to date.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi J M,
We really appreciate you taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! We really are located in a great part of the city and we have an amazing team here that is constantly going above and beyond to create memorable experiences. It's our promise of service to our guests to provide Whatever they need, Whenever they need it, so please come back and leave it on us to make it an unforgettable stay!
Warm Wishes,
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The hotel is what you would expect from a W. Rooms are well appointed. The Fantastic Suite was spacious and a great place to entertain friends. I've stayed here many times and the front desk staff always behaves like their annoyed they have to check me in. Crack a smile folks and ask me how my trip was. I may look worn out and annoyed too from travelling all day but humor me and be pleasant for just two minutes. Thanks!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Edward H,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback on your stay with the online community. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your Fantastic Suite and that you found the hotel and our amenities to be up to your expectations. I'm so sorry that your interaction with our Welcome Desk staff was not satisfactory, as it is very uncommon to receive negative comments on our level of customer service. I do hope that you keep coming back and next time you visit, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. We appreciate your loyalty and I'll be happy to contribute in any way to making your next stay memorable!
Warm Regards,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This has all the hallmarks of a classic W! It's cool, trendy and hip. The lighting is subdued and the staff most helpful. When I was there the was a convention group staying and partying in the bar.
The bar is on the ground level and is friendly and welcoming.

The restaurant in the hotel is good. I only had breakfast there and the welcome was great. The breakfast equal to that.

Hotel is well located to walk in to the heart of the city and downtown. Union Square is a short walk and you have access to quality shopping about 7 mins walk away. The downtown area or CBD is no more than a 15/20 min walk away.

There are good selection of restaurants within short walking distance.

The Bliss Spa is within the hotel and is good if slightly pricey.

Ask for a high floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor - it will allow a restful evening
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us in San Francisco! I am glad you had a chance to eat at TRACE, our new farm to table restaurant. Recently, our Executive Chef Paul Piscopo became a beekeeper, and we are using our own Rooftop Honey from the top of the hotel!

I hope we can welcome you back again soon,

Brad W

Been to W San Francisco? Share your experiences!