“Enjoyable, trendy and laid back” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W San Francisco

Save Saved
You added W San Francisco to your Saves list
W San Francisco
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   181 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94103 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #58 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego, California
“Enjoyable, trendy and laid back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great location. Walking distance to good restaurants, market and the wharf. Staff is wonderfully accommodating. The concierges were spot on with reservations and suggestions. Rooms are W in that they are bright and light and up to date.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Claudia N, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Hi J M,
We really appreciate you taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! We really are located in a great part of the city and we have an amazing team here that is constantly going above and beyond to create memorable experiences. It's our promise of service to our guests to provide Whatever they need, Whenever they need it, so please come back and leave it on us to make it an unforgettable stay!
Warm Wishes,

1,343 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The hotel is what you would expect from a W. Rooms are well appointed. The Fantastic Suite was spacious and a great place to entertain friends. I've stayed here many times and the front desk staff always behaves like their annoyed they have to check me in. Crack a smile folks and ask me how my trip was. I may look worn out and annoyed too from travelling all day but humor me and be pleasant for just two minutes. Thanks!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Edward H,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback on your stay with the online community. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your Fantastic Suite and that you found the hotel and our amenities to be up to your expectations. I'm so sorry that your interaction with our Welcome Desk staff was not satisfactory, as it is very uncommon to receive negative comments on our level of customer service. I do hope that you keep coming back and next time you visit, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. We appreciate your loyalty and I'll be happy to contribute in any way to making your next stay memorable!
Warm Regards,
claudia.nuta@whotels.com
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This has all the hallmarks of a classic W! It's cool, trendy and hip. The lighting is subdued and the staff most helpful. When I was there the was a convention group staying and partying in the bar.
The bar is on the ground level and is friendly and welcoming.

The restaurant in the hotel is good. I only had breakfast there and the welcome was great. The breakfast equal to that.

Hotel is well located to walk in to the heart of the city and downtown. Union Square is a short walk and you have access to quality shopping about 7 mins walk away. The downtown area or CBD is no more than a 15/20 min walk away.

There are good selection of restaurants within short walking distance.

The Bliss Spa is within the hotel and is good if slightly pricey.

Ask for a high floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor - it will allow a restful evening
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us in San Francisco! I am glad you had a chance to eat at TRACE, our new farm to table restaurant. Recently, our Executive Chef Paul Piscopo became a beekeeper, and we are using our own Rooftop Honey from the top of the hotel!

I hope we can welcome you back again soon,

Brad W
Conyers, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Little bit of the "conventioneer scene" but...

This hotel has a great location. Great service. Nice rooms. Decent prices for SF.

Starwood Member? They gave me 500 points for declining room service one night.

Quiet rooms. Friendly staff.

Workout facilities are kind of weak but nice pool!

Room Tip: Window view on the Bay Bridge side is great. If you can get a corner room that's great.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hi Scott B,
We really appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed our central location, our top-notch service, the modern chic room design and the amazing view of the Bay Bridge. Thank you for making a green choice and for being a loyal Starwood member, I am very pleased to know that you have opted out of Styling your room - it's a great contribution to our efforts of staying green.
All the best and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to W San Francisco!
Warm Wishes,
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Walking into the hotel room I thought the view out the window was a painted picture. We had a view overlooking the embarcadero and the bay bridge. We were also on the 28th floor so it was an incredible sight to see. This hotel was in walking distance of many main sights, union square, ferry building, market street. I definitely will be staying here again.

• Stayed December 2012
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Hello and thank you for taking the time to share your review! The views from the top floors are truly epic, and I am glad you enjoyed them!

I love our SOMA location, easy access to everything in San Francisco, plus a cool South of Market vibe.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Brad
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here multiple times and it has been just fine, not outstanding but fine. However, like they say customer service is best revealed when there is a problem and they failed grandly when one surfaced. The short of it is I booked a client there for a week and prepaid their visit as well as provided credit card information, at checkout the staff could not find the pre-payment,credit card information or notes pertaining to the visit. The staff (including the manager) proceeded to outright embarass my client and his wife and actually asked them what they were "trying to get away with"! I was mortified when I heard about this, not to mention that it took a great deal to smooth things over and certainly put an unwanted spin on my business negotiations following the visit. All in all a very bad experience. There is more regarding a lost bag for several hours (taken to the wrong room) forgotten dinner reservation with concierge and down pillow mix-up, but the horrible checkout took the cake. I am experienced with W hotels and have amassed about 150k SPG points with that chain alone, but I will never book another client with this property..frankly it was just too costly business wise.

• Stayed September 2012
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post this feedback on your recent experience. I am sorry to see that you and your clients experienced any issues. I would love the chance to communicate directly with you on this issue, and ensure that we discover what happened. I do hope you contact me at your convenience, brad.wulff@whotels.com.

Thank you, and I am looking forward to it!

Brad W
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed at this property in December of 2012, during a one-night whirlwind business trip.

I'm a frequent Starwood guest and have now stayed at every Starwood property in the Bay Area. My experience at this W was simply fantastic. The service at both the front desk and concierge were top-notch. They were courteous, respectful and much more helpful than your normal, everyday staff. In addition, the lobby bar was wonderful with nice, stiff cocktails, good service and good music. It was a nice place to wind down after a day of business (or pleasure I guess). The room was not large, but it was laid out very well with clean, contemporary furnishings. And the bed was dreamy!

I travel often to the Bay area and will make this property my default. Well done guys.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hello, and I am so glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us. We love having SPG members in house, and it is always a pleasure to know we are reflecting positively on the brand!

Thank you for the continued loyalty, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Brad

Been to W San Francisco? Share your experiences!