“Great location and terrific spot to stay in the heart of it all!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W San Francisco

You added W San Francisco to your Saves list
W San Francisco
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   181 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94103 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #64 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Conyers, Georgia, United States
“Great location and terrific spot to stay in the heart of it all!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Little bit of the "conventioneer scene" but...

This hotel has a great location. Great service. Nice rooms. Decent prices for SF.

Starwood Member? They gave me 500 points for declining room service one night.

Quiet rooms. Friendly staff.

Workout facilities are kind of weak but nice pool!

Room Tip: Window view on the Bay Bridge side is great. If you can get a corner room that's great.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Claudia N, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Hi Scott B,
We really appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed our central location, our top-notch service, the modern chic room design and the amazing view of the Bay Bridge. Thank you for making a green choice and for being a loyal Starwood member, I am very pleased to know that you have opted out of Styling your room - it's a great contribution to our efforts of staying green.
All the best and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to W San Francisco!
Warm Wishes,
Claudia Nuta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Walking into the hotel room I thought the view out the window was a painted picture. We had a view overlooking the embarcadero and the bay bridge. We were also on the 28th floor so it was an incredible sight to see. This hotel was in walking distance of many main sights, union square, ferry building, market street. I definitely will be staying here again.

• Stayed December 2012
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Hello and thank you for taking the time to share your review! The views from the top floors are truly epic, and I am glad you enjoyed them!

I love our SOMA location, easy access to everything in San Francisco, plus a cool South of Market vibe.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Brad
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here multiple times and it has been just fine, not outstanding but fine. However, like they say customer service is best revealed when there is a problem and they failed grandly when one surfaced. The short of it is I booked a client there for a week and prepaid their visit as well as provided credit card information, at checkout the staff could not find the pre-payment,credit card information or notes pertaining to the visit. The staff (including the manager) proceeded to outright embarass my client and his wife and actually asked them what they were "trying to get away with"! I was mortified when I heard about this, not to mention that it took a great deal to smooth things over and certainly put an unwanted spin on my business negotiations following the visit. All in all a very bad experience. There is more regarding a lost bag for several hours (taken to the wrong room) forgotten dinner reservation with concierge and down pillow mix-up, but the horrible checkout took the cake. I am experienced with W hotels and have amassed about 150k SPG points with that chain alone, but I will never book another client with this property..frankly it was just too costly business wise.

• Stayed September 2012
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post this feedback on your recent experience. I am sorry to see that you and your clients experienced any issues. I would love the chance to communicate directly with you on this issue, and ensure that we discover what happened. I do hope you contact me at your convenience, brad.wulff@whotels.com.

Thank you, and I am looking forward to it!

Brad W
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed at this property in December of 2012, during a one-night whirlwind business trip.

I'm a frequent Starwood guest and have now stayed at every Starwood property in the Bay Area. My experience at this W was simply fantastic. The service at both the front desk and concierge were top-notch. They were courteous, respectful and much more helpful than your normal, everyday staff. In addition, the lobby bar was wonderful with nice, stiff cocktails, good service and good music. It was a nice place to wind down after a day of business (or pleasure I guess). The room was not large, but it was laid out very well with clean, contemporary furnishings. And the bed was dreamy!

I travel often to the Bay area and will make this property my default. Well done guys.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hello, and I am so glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us. We love having SPG members in house, and it is always a pleasure to know we are reflecting positively on the brand!

Thank you for the continued loyalty, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Brad
Guatemala City, Guatemala
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Very rude employees, The hotel is so tacky, it tries to be modern but doesn't quite achive it. The restaurant has great food and good drinks, but forget about nice customer service, specially from the restaurant manager. The hotel is clean and over decorated. I would recomend to AVOID this hotel. The dutty manager are the rudest and yet ordinary employees, it must be dificult for a company that big to hire the best help available.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Claudia N, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Hi FerdyBerganza_jr,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property. We do appreciate both positive and negative feedback as we do need them equally in our efforts to provide guests with the best possible experiences. I am extremely disappointed to hear that your service standards were far from being met as it is extremely uncommon for our staff to fall short of our guests expectations. We are proud to represent the W and we are constantly going above and beyond to grant our guests wishes. I hope you decide to give us another shot and allow us to impress you in true W style. I know we can offer a memorable experience!
Kind Regards,
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

I had expected that the W was a luxury hotel given the price but that is not the case for at least the property in SF. It's a very nice hotel, but I've stayed at the Weston St Francis downtown and find it more about classy luxury and service. The crowds are definitely young and the location is good. Beds are comfortable but rooms are small and there is no coffee maker. We called to ask and they graciously brought up a kcup machine which was amazing, however it was filthy so I spent 10 minutes cleaning it out. Our friends found an empty bottle of whiskey under the lip of the bed frame so the cleaning crew needs to pay a little closer attention.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Hello, and thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay with us. W San Francisco is an electric urban retreat with a focus on a high energy, adult experience.

We do provide coffee makers in room upon request, but I am so sorry to see that it arrived in anything other than pristine condition! I will be sure to share your feedback with our Style team.
I hope you consider us on your next visit to San Francisco!

Brad W
San Francisco, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

After a couple of stays in this hotel, I'm sad to say that I'm not so sure that it's worth the cost. There are a lot of other hotels in San Francisco with a lot more character. It is, however, convenient if you work in the area or have a conference at the Yerba Buena Center.

First the pros:
- The rooms have a nice pseudo-Asian aesthetic that is brighter and more calm than other W's. It makes for a nice space to get work done, especially the corner rooms
- Room service is prompt and efficient
- Bikes! The hotel lets you rent free bikes, which is great for getting around the city
- Beds are super comfy

The cons:
- The hotel's decor is really intense. Holographic elevators, lots of black stone that looks very late 90's – it feels like a washed up club sometimes
- Long lines for the valet AND a ridiculously high cost
- Staff is inconsistent; some people are really friendly, others forget your requests for things like toothpaste or sometimes have an attitude

Room Tip: Pick the corner room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hi Gbh2001,
Thank you for taking the time to share your W experience with the online community. We take great pride in what we do and we always try our best to impress our guests which is why I'm so sorry to hear that your interaction with our staff was at times unsatisfactory. While we don't have much control over the parking rates as they are competitive, I do apologize for the long wait in Wheels. I'm glad that you have enjoyed the corner rooms and our complimentary bikes. I'd like to mention that we are constantly re-styling and working on improving the private as well as the public areas of our hotel and I hope that you do come back and let us surprise you!
Warm Wishes,
Claudia Nuta

Been to W San Francisco? Share your experiences!