“I'll never be this hip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W San Francisco

Save Saved
You added W San Francisco to your Saves list
W San Francisco
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   181 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94103 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #58 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago
“I'll never be this hip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

During a recent trip to San Fran we stayed for two nights at the W.

1. Ambiance - this hotel and most W properties exude this impossibly hip vibe. Beautiful people, club music, funky furnishings. It doesn't negatively impact your experience but it doesn't make you want to buy a black turtleneck either.

2. Staff - Awesome. Nice efficient. Helpful. TV in room not working? One call to front desk results in pleasant service guy at my door within 10 minutes who fixes problem. Ahhh...

3. Location - great location for exploring the city. Very central. No need for car.

4. Room - clean, small but efficiently designed. Am I the only person who hates the clock with the IPod docking station that WON'T CHARGE AN IPHONE? I suspect not. Let's do away with them and just dangle charging cords. Toiletries keep getting smaller and there was enough shampoo to wash 1/3 of your scalp but these are minor complaints. Room was comfortable and quiet.

5. Other- the Acura MDX drop off service is the best. Sign up at the desk adjacent to the front desk and you'll get a free ride where ever you want to go. Only, unfortunately, they won't pick you up so plan ahead.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post this review, we appreciate the feedback! The title of your review is hilarious, and trust me, everyone is hip enough to stay at W San Francisco! We have a wide variety of guests, and really enjoy the interaction we have with each and every one.

It is always great to hear about our rooms and design, but our favorite compliments revolve around our Talent. I will be sure to pass it along to our Engineering team, along with the feedback on our in room electronics.

We look forward to seeing you again soon, and you can definitely leave the black turtleneck at home!

Have a great day,

1,349 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I admit I was skeptical booking the W for a sleepover for my daughter's birthday (yes, she's spoiled I know!). My main concern was noise hosting four girls. I was also worried that having been opened for a while the W migt have lost some of it's luster. I was wrong.
Not only was noise not a problem (the walls are amazingly well insulated for sound), the hotel was still modern, impecably clean and well-run.
Service was excellent. Every staff member was kind and polite and extremely helpful: on the phone when booking, at the front desk, at the pool (which was warm and very fun), at room service. While modern, the W is not pretentious. The beds are comfortable. The linens fit and don't exfoliate you as some overstarched sheets do at many hotels, the rooms are a comfortable size. All in all excellent. We live in town so location was not the point of this stay but for visitors, the location is excellent as well.
Loved it.

Room Tip: the corner king is perfect and can be joined int o a pseudo suite with a double next door.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

During our recent stay, we upgraded to one of their suites. They have several types of suites and ours was called Fantastic Suites. There was plenty of room for both my husband and I. The Fantastic Suite had a living room, bed room, and 2 full bathrooms. So there was no need to fight for the bathroom between the both of us!

The W Hotels all over provide Bliss toiletry products and this location was no different. I'm a hugex2 fan of Bliss products and looked forward to using the hotel toiletry products (usually I bring my own toiletries when not staying at a W hotel). The water pressure from the shower wasn't as strong as we'd like. And in both of the bathrooms, the toilet roll holder that was mounted onto the wall was placed in an awkward position! Basically we had to stretch our hands to reach out to grab and pull the toilet roll. It wasn't in the most strategic or ergonomic position :)

The W San Francisco is what you would expect from the brand's concept and theme-- hip, young, contemporary. The elevators are dim with funky music playing. The rooms are far from classic and traditional but instead abstract and contemporary. Service was wonderful and each time we requested something from housekeeping, customer service gave us a follow-up call to make sure we received our requested items. Their bar/lounge was hopping during the weekend.

The location is fantastic and walking distance to anywhere in downtown. On the same street are other Starwood properties as well (Westin and St Regis), and the W is the hippest (or I should say, the least classic) of these other Starwood sister properties. Outside the hotel is the MUNI bus #30 that will take you to Chinatown although it is really a short walk there anyway. The Powell BART station is also just a short walk away (perfect for traveling to and from SFO). The W is also right next to SF MOMA.

W has two entrances. One of them takes you straight to the bar/lounge area. The lobby and check-in is just right of the lounge.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed description of your stay with us! We always appreciate knowing the details of our guests’ stay.

We are always happy to provide upgrades when available, and I am glad to see that you enjoyed your suite! I will be sure to share your feedback on the placement of our toilet paper roll with our Engineering team!

I love our SOMA location, and access to all of San Francisco is really easy via public transit. It sounds like you are familiar with the area!

I hope to welcome you back again soon,
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed at the W for two nights before going to Napa. We received excellent service from the time we checked in to the time we checked out. We had an awesome view overlooking the park. It's a beautiful hotel with great amenities and excellent staff who provide wonderful customer service.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Aurora, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed 4 nights at the W in San Francisco for a conference (Moscone Convention center). Arrived early and received good service at check-in. Room was spacious, clean and nicely appointed. Room amenities were a bit spartan for a hotel in this price class (needs a lamp at the desk, clock at night desk, and extra table for dinner trays). Bathroom is not up to class, while clean and functional, I expect more for my room rate (please put a soap dish in the shower and a hook or bar for the towel). Room service is excellent (quick and food is very good). Overall service was very good, always courteous and quick to respond. Had some problems with WIFI, which was resolved quickly. Like the 'house-keeping as needed' option.
So, in summary, moderate price to value ratio, great location for business meetings, very good service. Would choose this hotel again. but only for a conference at Moscone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

From the minute Cora checked me in, to the fantastic dining suggestion and rezzo by concierge Amy, to the complimentary Accord ride to the restaurant to the oh so comfy and much needed bed....an absolutely Wonderful experience!

Room Tip: I personally like the corner rooms because of the shelf in the windows to store my bags!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Redwood City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

For a short getaway from Redwood City to SF, we like to stay at the W. This time it was for my b-day. The traffic was brutal (1.5 hours to go just 30 miles) but on our arrival, our hostess, Anna-Lynne, eased our stress with her friendliness, a wonderful room, and complimentary "stress relievers". When we returned from our night out, there was birthday cake waiting in our room! Her thoughtfulness and service helped make a special evening very special indeed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello, and thank you for spending your birthday with us! I am so glad Anna-Lynne was able to impress you, I will be sure to pass the compliment along.

We look forward to welcoming you back again, and I hope it is before your next birthday!

Brad W

PS: I agree, traffic on that route can be brutal!

Been to W San Francisco? Share your experiences!