“Rude Staff” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #98 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Sydney, Australia
“Rude Staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

I just finished a week staying at this hotel. The rooms are nice but very, very small but the location is good. This was all over shadowed but the extremely rude staff. Not only do they ignore guest at the reception desk, but when you make a request they will make it obvious how difficult you are being even if only asking for an extra key. Rolling of eyes and grunting were common. I recomed that this be your last choice.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2007

The hotel was okay. I was in San Fran just for the weekend and I was by myself. The room wasn't noisy, of course I was in the back and had no view. They don't provide Aveda products like they advertise which was a disappointment. Plus housekeeping did wake me up which I did not appreciate.
However, the location is wonderful. Right in the heart of Union Square and on the trolley line made everything very convenient. Plus I had a car and trusted the valet/parking service. The hotel staff also gave great directions and were very pleasant.
If you are just looking for a place to sleep and keep your stuff while experiencing San Francisco, this is a great hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — housekeeping barging in
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Antony, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2007

Nice hotel well located down town at 10 minutes walking from Chinese disctrict.

The road on which it is located has a cable car, nevertheless it is quiet.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2007

The Villa Florence Hotel exceeded our expectations. Before booking, I read the reviews here and noted the negatives. I found none of these to be true in our case. The locations was perfect, within walking distance of Union Square by one block, Chinatown by just a few blocks. Next door on one side was a fantastic Italian restaurant, and the other side a very nice coffee bar with excellent pastries. A nice quiet bar is also located right inside the door to the right of the lobby. Two doors down was a great place to get a hot slice of gooey pizza, or a panini, and a Starbucks just on the corner, and a great little "convenience" store right across the street with anything you would need including some great wine. Truly, the location of the hotel could not have been better. The hotel itself was quiet. Our room was on the top floor with 2 double beds and a pullout sofa bed. Very roomy and decorated beautifully and spotless. It was very quiet as it was at the back of the hotel. There is a street car out front, but I never heard it once. the staff was very knowledgeable about the area, and very helpful. We loved this place so much and we will definitely be returning to the same place.

• Liked — Location and Atmosphere
  • Disliked — ?
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boton, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2007

After flying in from Boton I was exhauted. Check-in took forever - and for some reason the efforts of two people. They also kept looking up to say sweet things to everyone who walked by - which is very nice, but my check-in took 25 minutes without exageration. One could have greeted and left the other to handle the data entry, but they were some kind of binary system.

At around 3 am I was awakened by a rustling outside my door - and then a click in the lock, and then the door opened - and a couple entered my room! I was terrified and so were they. They slammed the door. I went out of the room, half-asleep. They were shaking and went downstairs apologizing profusely. I called the front desk. Ooops - gave my key to a couple. Sorry about that. I would think the hotel would be horrified. No, it was as if I had called to say they forgot to give me complimentary shampoo. For some reason, I was not registered as having checked in the hotel! (After all that....) Then they found some evidence of my being checked in - my credit card. I mumbled something about their changing the key or something and fell back asleep. (Had I been more alert I would have insisted they change the keys.)

THEN at 3:30 am I received a telephone call. The front desk called. The man started to talk to me as if it were not in the middle of the night. "Sorry to bother you, but we need to check you in..." YOU MUST BE KIDDING ME! He actually wanted to get all the details. I told him my name and said he had my credit card - the rest could wait until the morning.

I was still bleary and shaken in the morning. I got up and went down early even though I really needed more sleep to check in again. You would think that they would offer some compensation - and they did. Free breakfast. Not a free night's stay. Not even a free dinner. Eggs do not make up for that. I said no thank you. I was so tired I was naueated as it was.

I was there a week (not my choice - business). Every night after that I cranked the air conditioning up and slept with extra bedding to cover up the sound of the live bands that play at the bar across the street until 1 am or so.

Lovely little hotel of horrors - not for the squeemish.

• Liked — Location; architecture & decor
  • Disliked — Service, noise, sleepless nights
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ventura, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2007

My family of four stayed at the Villa Florence for a couple days during the first week of April. The hotel staff was polite and accommodating. At check in I was asked if we wanted a quiet room. On the cable car route it's always better to get a quiet room. We were given a room with no view but very quiet (if you don't know Union Square, you almost can't have one without the other). The room was not as small as other hotels and well appointed, clean and comfortable. The hallways and rooms were very quiet and it was easy to relax. The hotel itself is in great shape compared to other hotels
we've stayed at in the area and you can't beat the location! I would definitely stay at the Villa Florence again and that's more than I can say for a number of other hotels around Union Square.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seacoast NH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2007

My company booked this room for a trade show at Moscone Center. The location was good, very central to restaurants, BART and the convention center but the street noise made it miserable for sleeping. My room faced an Irish pub across the street, people were yelling, trash cans full of bottles being dumped in the dumpster after closing time all in the wee hours. The homeless situation around here is also quite alarming, they were performing in the street for money, playing drums (on 5 gal pails) and one guy was even blowing a trumpet until 2 am. The police didn't seem to bother them either.

The hotel itself is ok for what we paid ~$160 I believe, my bathtub was in tough shape, needed a re-caulk. Also found a ponytail elastic on the back of the door with hair stuck in it. Kinda gross, poor attention to housekeeping detail. The free wireless internet was so slow I could not bear it. I would not stay here again if I could help it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Villa Florence, A JRK Hotel? Share your experiences!