“you get what you pay for” 1 of 5 stars

Verona
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   317 Leavenworth Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Ranked #214 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Baltimore MD
“you get what you pay for”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

The room was about the size of the bed, bedsheets and blanckets were filthy. Hallways were dirtry and poorly kept. The neighbourhood also is not the best in SF... you really get what you pay for.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple

san francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

I had a terrible experience here and that's why i am writing even after a year of my staty in this lousy hotel. The hotel front desk guys are very unfriendly and have a hatred for a people from a specific country.
Though i had booked online, i didnt carry the print out and hence i was asked to wait for more than 1 and 1/2 hour. They dont have a proper fax machine also and when i contacted priceline to send the fax again, they couldn't receive the fax message. This happened just in front of my eyes.

There is no customer service at all. Ridiculous, dont stay here.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Slovakia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

It can be found in not very mice neightborhood- lot of homeless people sleeping on the streets. If I close my both eyes for room itself I would say "on budget, do not expect anything" kind of ratind. But the bathroom (too nice name for that place) STINKS!! Bathtub from II World war, stepping in only in shoes. Then falling asleep - not chance- BED BUGS will wake you up for sure!!! The biggest problem I brought them with me to my friends place in Fresno whom I visited for wedding anniversary and eventually brought them home to Europe. I keep fighting against them still and can not get rid of. Is not there any HEALTH AUTHORITY in US that would close such a place? DO NOT GO THERE! You safe yourself a lot of trouble. I have even changed the room, but bugs were also there. So such a small thing that donut and lousy coffee is the breakfast did not matter anymore. I was just waiting to open in the morning and flee AWAY!! I would rather pay some extra for higher level .

• Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

The other reviews here does in general not do this hotel justice. What do you expect when you can get a single room for $ 42 on Priceline?

I enjoyed my stay here, and would easily recommend it to people who are traveling with an open mind and who have spent a night in a hostel or a low-key hotel before. I had a room with a shared bath room in the hallway (but it seemed like I was the only one using it, so there was no line or dirt in the there.) The room was decent enough, with an old television set that seemed to be from the 1970's that did not have more than a few channels with bad reception, but it was a pretty cool piece of history, and who's in San Francisco to watch TV anyway? The windows were slightly dirty and facing the street, but I didn't experience much noise. It's in the Tenderloin, which means that you can walk to the BART train or the cable car in a few minutes, and to Union Square too.

There's been said a lot about the Tenderloin on Trip Advisor before, and I'm not gonna pretend that it's a particularly beautiful place, and there's a lot of homeless people on the streets, but they never even asked for change as I walked through the neighborhood many times, and they never seemed to bother anyone. In my opinion, it's an area that you can easily stay in and walk through anytime if you're a guy or in a group, although I can understand it if single females or families with kids do not wish to spend a lot of time here. I don't think much is going to happen to anyone, except perhaps being if you can spare a dime.

I was also gonna say that the hotel may not be the best spot for a romantic holiday, but now I just remembered that the couple in the room next door were gettin' it on both when I checked in at night and also the next morning when I woke up (the walls are VERY thin), so I might have to reconsider that thought. If you're open minded, want to save a lot of money, and don't mind seeing the slightly shadier sides of California, this is a pretty good deal.

• Liked — Cheap and central
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Milan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

It is one of the worst hotel I have ever seen ! it is very dirty and it is in a very dangerous area... do not ever go there!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — very dangerous area
  • Stayed December 2005, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2008

We book a hotel 2 days before we went to San Francisco on the last minute, and we were surprised on the location. The room are small, I dropped something and rolled under the bed and I found something else, I think that room was never been dusted. we could not sleep that night, because people outside we're talking very loud. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — none
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cheltenham UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2007

Had a fantasic stay here. It's not the Ritz, but it's very centrally located within easy reach of everything. The homeless people are around, but we had no problems. In fact, when slimming down my contents of my suitcase a pair of my pants flew out the hotel window, and ended up on the flag pole! So the hotel Verona had an American flag, a British flag and a pair of my pants on show! The pants then slipped to the floor and a homeless person picked them up and carted them off!

It was very entertaining watching the drama unfold in the evening on the street! I would honestly recommend this place to anyone, just open your mind, and see something new, and if nothing else, you will return home grateful for what you have in life.

• Liked — The lift! And the street people.
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Verona? Share your experiences!