“Great place to Stay San Fran” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Union Square

You added Hotel Union Square to your Saves list
Hotel Union Square
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   114 Powell Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Union Square)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #83 of 234 Hotels in San Francisco
Winnipeg, Canada
“Great place to Stay San Fran”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

Great location. Clean. Very nice decor. Staff was excellent.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

After checking through reviews on here we decided to plump for the Hotel Union Square when we were staying in San Francisco last summer. Most reviews were good and it has excellent transport links, with the cable car terminus being only 100 metres down the street along with a BART station.

I got a reasonable deal through lastminute.com (£135 per night for a double), although upon arrival the check-in staff couldn't find any record of our booking. Thankfully things were sorted out pretty sharpish and we were able to get to out room and freshen up (7am flight from JFK having only arrived from London a day before).

The room was big and airy, but despite (or should that be because) iit being August the room was quite chilly. The bathroom is a little odd, with the sink in a seperate bit to the toilet/shower, but it's no biggie. Our room was at the front of the hotel, but there was little noise, and I found the sound of the cable cars to be quite endearing.

The bed was comfortable and a good nights sleep was had (aided by jetlag!). There is a computer connected to the internet so you can check up on emails or whatever. I can't remember if there was WiFi in the rooms or not, sorry!

Overall a good hotel with excellent links (as stated above).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

This was my fourth year with the Personality Hotel chain and my first at the Union Square. Absolutely fantastic location for access to Moscone as well as Union Square shopping. Beautifully upgraded and modernized rooms. The room rates are deceptively reasonable--we're talking Motel 6-level rates in one of the most desirable locations in the world. The staff and service is worthy of a $500/night gig (with a special commendation to Tom Steel, concierge extraordinaire). Coffee in the lobby every morning and a dynamite little Thai restaurant just outside the door (with a couple of the city's best dining on the same block).

The location makes it a bit noisy at night if you have a room facing Powell Street (cable cars aren't very quiet), but there are rooms off the main street if that's an issue for you.

The location is very close to the Powell Street BART station. (If you're coming in via Oakland or SFO, take the train. It's a lot cheaper and, during rush hour, faster than a taxi or shuttle.)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Palo Alto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

Decided to go into the city for an overnight stay with a girlfriend. The hotel was in the perfect spot right up from the Powell street BART station and close walking distance to Union Square, theaters, and some great restaurants. We checked in and the staff was great. They served wine at 5pm and our room was too CUTE! The rooms were small, but the had done great things with lighting and the decor. I would definitely go again with my husband for a night on the town.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Blackpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

We looked forward to this hotel after reading the reviews AND reading about the famous connection to Dashiell Hammett. After a week in Las Vegas we were looking forward to a completely different feel. The lobby is great, looks and feels authentic with a modern twist, old films playing in the background on the flat screen tv. I should have worn a hat! The staff were very friendly and approachable, always willing to help and advise, which put us at ease. We had a room upgrade to one facing Powell street, plenty of space, 2 large double beds, nice bathroom. The noise from outside was offset by the view of people, cars and trams we had every day! We were here to see as much as we could, the sound of trams was pleasing and evocative. The sight of people sprawled on the pavement (sidewalk) was less pleasant. Free coffee in the morning and wine in the evening was a very nice touch and a useful way to start conversations (hello to Don 2 dogs!! Are you still running past that block at home?). I have to say that you must judge a place by your own experience, and that we had a great time.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

We stayed over New Year's Eve at the Hotel Union Square--probably not the best night for evaluating peace and quiet. Our room was small and semi-windowless, but who's going to stay indoors when you're 1 block from Union Square? We've stayed at the St. Francis up the street and have been in rooms of similar size (which is to be expected for old hotels in SF). The hotel went the extra mile to make the room as nice as possible (contemporary furniture, cool spa stuff) and the bed was very comfortable. Very convenient to have in and out privileges with the valet/garage and really, the location is awesome. We got back to our room around 2:30 am, so noise from other rooms wasn't an issue, although earlier in the evening, I could definitely hear music from the room next door. Bring your ear plugs, turn on the AC and you'll be good to go.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

I stayed here 2 nights during Christmas. I booked my flight and hotel on a travel site. I read reviews on many hotels before choosing this hotel. I wanted a decent hotel, no roach motel this time. I have always stayed in pretty low rated hotels in San Francisco before this trip. I hadn't been to SF for 15 years.

The hotel is on very busy Powell street. Two of my favorite stores, H&M and Urban Outfitters are next door. I didn't know this before choosing my hotel. I liked that the hotel is smaller and has some charm. It's a really old building that has been renovated. The staff is very nice, even the maid says hello.

My one complaint would be that the mattress was saggy. This is funny, because all the dumps I used to stay in had the same mattress issue. I still slept great. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Union Square? Share your experiences!