“Perfect location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #80 of 237 Hotels in San Francisco
Canton, Ohio
“Perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

This hotel has an amazing location. It is right in the heart of Union Square. Perfect for those who want to shop with lots of stores and malls. For those who want food take your pick of restaurants there's something for everyone in walking distance. The trolley is a mere stones throw away. The hotel staff is extremely knowledgeable and can pretty much answer any question you have. I'm going back to San Fran. In April and I will defiantely be staying here again. It's in the heart of union square so if your looking for peaceful and quiet then this is not the hotel for you. You can hear the city around you and all the activity and that's one reason I liked it. Also on a side note be sure to book your Alcatraz tour before you leave home or you won't be able to visit it. It sells out quickly. If you want to do a wine county tour we did muir woods then 2 Napa valley winery's and one Sonoma winery. We had lunch in the square in Sonoma we booked thru all San Francisco tours our guides name was Andy and he was awesome.

• Stayed August 2014
Personality H, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Hi Traveller,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a positive and thorough review to share with others. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay, the centrality of the hotel, and all the amazing experiences this city has to offer! We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to SF in April.

Warm Regards,
Dana Andrews
Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

The location is great! And the price is ok. We got a small room, the bathromm was a good size with a great shower. I think this room was not remodelled, it smelled a bit of mold and we could see it on the bathroom walls-not to bad. We kept the window open, and we only slept there. Was a big closet, would have been great with some light in there! Our biggest complain was that our neighboor was snoring so loud that he kept us awake....inother words-not very sound proof! We where out exploring most of the days, so for just a place to sleep it is ok.
The staff was nice and friendly and the valet parking was convenient.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Domitille M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel on trip advisor. We are truly sorry about the room that you received during your stay here at Hotel Union Square. I hope that you contacted the front desk during your stay as we would have been more than happy to accommodate you with a different room. I promise to address this with our housekeeping team and follow up with the issues you've brought to our attention. I hope this doesn't affect you returning to our hotel in the future, please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns you have.

Lennin B. Ledesma
Guest Services Manager
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Great friendly staff, in particular the duty manager. Fantastic location if you are coming from the Powell St subway - 3-5 mins walk!; and right in the middle for shopping. Great character and vintage, although a little cosy - for the price you cannot complain.

Room Tip: Don't have big expectations if you are use the the Large chain hotels
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dover, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. It exceeded my expectations in nearly every respect. The hotel is in a great location (i.e. close to many great restaurants, stores, BART station, cable cars). We were in town to attend some baseball games at AT&T ballpark and we could easily walk there from the hotel.

The staff was very professional and extremely polite. We had interactions with the front desk, maid service and concierges and they all did whatever they could to make sure our stay was an enjoyable one. The concierges really spent a lot of time with us pointing out the best ways to see the sites and for that, I'm very grateful.

The room was really terrific (we had a double Queen). It faced Powell Street so it was a little noisy at night, but it's a major city so I wasn't put off by it. The size of the room was bigger than expected. Plenty of room to spread out and store all of our clothes, plus the safe and closet came in very handy. The bathroom was very clean and the tub had one of the best shower heads I've ever used.

The room had an air-conditioner but we never turned it on the entire week we were there. The room stayed nice and cool so long as we kept the windows cracked open.

For someone on a budget, I would highly recommend this hotel. It's location is fantastic and the staff made us feel right at home. I would definitely stay here again the next time I visit San Francisco.

Room Tip: I would make sure I got a room with a safe.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear William T.,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive and positive review to share with other fellow travelers. We are so pleased to know that we exceeded your expectations and that our hotel staff was so hospitable! Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in planning for your next trip to San Francisco.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Best,
Dana Andrews
Guest Relations
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Lovely hotel with lots of character. Excellent location as far as the trolley cars go. No guest laundry on site though. The nearest one is in Post Street, about 5-6 blocks away.
Tad's Steakhouse next door is an excellent place for meals.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Los Banos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I had a great stay very clean, very helpful and morning staff more helpful and friendly than the evening staff. I was grateful how its close and walking distance to all that I needed. I would recommend this place to someone who wants to walk or catch the trolley actually all kinds of public transportation is available.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the street but it was very quiet my whole over night stay.
Green Features: Awesome staff that was very helpful, I had some trouble with check in but they assisted me and gave me excellent customer service:-)
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Harlev, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

4 days in San Francisco and want to stay downtown. This hotel is located perfect, and the service is in top. The Rooms is great, and a lot of space. Everything you need for a City break :-) Would recommend this any day.

Room Tip: Room with two queen size bed, housed our family of 2 adults and two boys17,14.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Union Square? Share your experiences!