“Best hotel manager in town!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #84 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles
“Best hotel manager in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Quaint boutique hotel, with great coffee in the morning and a nice wine hour and music in the late afternoon. We've stayed 4 times over the last 7 months and the manager Tony was attentive and accommodating for all our needs each time. The staff were all accommodating and couldn't have been nicer. The location is perfect, shopping, close to BART easy access from SFO make it a great choice. We highly recommend staying here when visiting the city.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for the wonderful review, my staff and I are all very flattered by your nice compliments about the service we provided. I am glad that you enjoyed all of our amenities and looking forward to see you again soon.
I want you to know that is wonderful guests like you that give me the passion to do what I do.

With warmest regards,

876 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We were planning to stay at this hotel but after the cancellation period decided to stay somewhere else given we felt the hotel rooms were small and not updated. The manager, Tony A. was extremely understanding and while disappointed we didn't stay at his hotel, graciously made sure we were not charged and made the entire experience very easy and comfortable for us.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Valued Guest- Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review and I am so glad that I made your experience very comfortable. Our hotel is a historic property and no two rooms are exactly alike, we here at Hotel Union Square are currently updating and improving our rooms. We do offer many larger rooms including a great assortment of suites.
If you are planning to return to San Francisco in the future, please stop by for a visit and allow me the opportunity to show you one of our updated rooms. I think you may just decide to stay.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The location of this hotel is superb! You are close to every shop in town! If you want to go shopping go for it, if you are traveling with more than yourself upgrade for 30 bucks to the double double Queen, the single rooms are super small. I've stayed here a few times and they used to have really nice amenities but now you can tell they are trying to lower costs. The decor is very nice, cool, lounge type but retro, now if you are planning to sleep the hotel is RIGHT NEXT to the Powell cable cart so you'll be hearing the chime chime of the cable cart non stop which can get annoying. If you change rooms you might end up on the side where you hear the drunken people outside having fights and such.. It's tricky to get a quieter room. There is no restaurant but the Tad's delivers, now Tad's is one of those restaurants where you will get heart disease if you eat there everyday, is all greasy, meaty, etc. The people in the reception is a 50% 50% also, you can get really nice people (Adam is awesome!) or you can get some really angry people. I don't think I will stay here again since I want to explore better options in San Fran, I did like it before for a few nights.. Like I said in the title.. Depends...

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room that is not right next to the cable cart. ASK ASK ASK about the locatio...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Mariana,
Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your experiences of Hotel Union Square and for your nice comments about our hotel and myself, I am very flattered. I am very sorry to hear that not all of our staff provided you with the level of service you have become accustom to while staying with us. I am so very dismayed to learn that you do not wish to return to our hotel again, since it is guests like you that give us a passion to do what we do. I understand that a bad experience is nothing that you want re-experience; however I would like to ask you for the opportunity to personally ensure a perfect stay during your next trip to San Francisco and Hotel Union Square.
Please feel free to contact me when you plan your next trip and I really hope to have the pleasure to accommodate you again.
Warm Regards,
Adam Hovelmann
Guest Services Manager
Cardiff
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights last September. It was okay, the location is brilliant. You are literally in the heart of SF! The downside for me was the service. They were lovely people but they did really mess up one of out trips. Sam Francisco was a bit of a stop off for us before we went to Hawaii but the reason I stayed a few nights was because I had been desperate to visit Napa Valley on a wine tasting tour. We booked this the first day we got there to avoid disappointed of no spaces being left but it turns out that the wrote the incorrect time for our pick up of the morning and we missed it. I was so gutted. They just didn't understand how important it had been to be and suggested they would just pay for a taxi for us back to the airport when we were ready to leave. No, that wasn't good enough. We complained and complained then finally they decided to find a personal chauffeur who could drive us to Sonomo Valley and personally take us wine tasting. He was a lovely Russian gentleman and turned out he had some fabulous stories to tell and knew an awful lot about San franciscos history!! We were vey grateful and had a fabulous time. But it was very stressful. Apart from that everything went well. We had booked Alcatraz ourselves back home and went in the evening it was fab. But can I just say oh my god, I had no idea that SF would be so cold!! Being a Brit I thought I was going to California and it was going to be really warm....absolutely freezing. Bring jumpers and jeans and even a hat and scarf for when you travel over the Golden Gate Bridge because it is FREEZING. It was still amazing though. I was quite surprised at how many homeless people were in the city but its nothing to be afraid about, just keep yourself to yourself and its fine. Also, a tip not he cable cars. There is a humongous queue to get on them, especially on the stop which is right next to the hotel so try and get in the queue as early as possible in the day. I wouldn't recommend travelling in them log distance as they are very slow. We used the red tourist busses to get around. They were to easy to catch!!
Oh and the rooms were okay, very old and very dated. We didn't have a room at the front of the hotel as advised by other reviewers and I am pretty glad of that tbh.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Valued Guest- Thank you for your review of the Hotel Union Square. You might be pleased to know that I have spoken with my concierge staff and they have asked me to share their sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that you experienced regarding the tour-booking during your recent visit. Unfortunately, even the best of us make mistakes and things go wrong. We did do everything possible to turn around this mishap and we were so grateful that you were so flexible and agreed to the alternative solution that involved your very own personal chauffeur. I was happy that in the end you were able to experience the magic of San Francisco and the Bay Area on your tour through Napa with one of the most pleasant and knowledgeable drivers.

With best regards,
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Location is in the hustle and bustle near Market and very close to Union Square. Sheets and comforter were good quality. Room wasn't always entirely cleaned I.e., some days they forgot to clean the bathroom. I must admit that I did not feel safe here, and slept with a chair rammed up against the door.

Room Tip: Try to get an upper floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at Hotel Union Square. I wanted to assure that our hotel is very safe. I have managed this hotel for six years and have never had a situation where in a guest’s safety was at risk. Staying in the heart of San Francisco certainly provides the same experience to that of any major metropolitan city. Regarding your bathroom, our housekeeping staff always cleans our guests' bathroom on daily basis. Our cleaning staff do not typically handle guest belongings that are left in bathroom; however they do clean around it.
In the future please do not hesitate to communicate any fears or issues you experience while staying at our hotel or any other hotel. As a Hotel manager I always listen to what guests need, and do everything possible to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.
Thank you again for your review and I hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

First the positives: You won't get a better location in downtown San Francisco. The shopping district is less than a five-minute walk, there are restaurants everywhere around - and you can hop on a muni outside of the door to get to the piers (or it's perhaps a 20-30-minute walk depending on how quick you are.

Check-in is simple, the staff were friendly, I managed to print off a flight boarding card on their business computer and the free coffee was a nice touch in the morning.

As for the room, it was fairly dated but comfy and sort-of spacious, with a large walk-in wardrobe/cupboard. I was on the top floor and the most annoying thing was that there was this sort of air-hatch thing that helps to ventilate the building within my room. Between about 6am and 11pm, it was VERY noisy. If you want to go to bed early, or sleep late, you'd have no chance.

I assume most rooms would not be like that.

Aside from that, it wasn't noisy overnight.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the fifth-floor one with the air vents!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest- I am always looking for ways to improve the guest experience and I appreciate your feedback. I was certainly pleased to know that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay, but I couldn't be more disappointed that your entire experience was not as positive.
Please feel free to contact me when you plan your next trip and I will personally take care of your accommodations.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is one of my favorite properties to stay at in downtown San Francisco. It's just a block away from Union Square, and also from the Westfield Center and the cable care line. I also recently learned that it was the first boutique hotel in the United States, and that they're celebrating their 100 year anniversary this year! Very cool. Exceptional customer service and guest relations, a complimentary wine hour from 5-6 every evening, spacious rooms, and a really fun vibe. Adore the feel of the building and all of the exposed brick. Plus, the price is always right (usually around $200 a night or less), making this one of the best deals in SF.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Union Square? Share your experiences!