“clean, modern hotel in a convenient location” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Union Square
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   114 Powell Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Ranked #78 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Doncaster
“clean, modern hotel in a convenient location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The hotel was clean and modern. Our room was very small but had a comfy bed and larger bathroom. Hotel was quiet and could not here much noise from the road below. Room service was nice and reasonably priced.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Rocklin, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We are a family of 5 and travel to San Francisco several times a year and this trip we decided to head in for an overnight shopping trip before Christmas. Normally we stay at Parc 55 or Palace or a Marriott. This was our first stay at a boutique hotel and we LOVED it! The cost was reasonable and love the fact that wireless was complimentary! (We all have iPhones and iPads and some hotels charge per device!). We stayed in a junior suite and there was plenty of room for all of us. It felt like we were staying in a studio apt in the middle of he city. We had a corner room facing the outside and yes, you can here ALL the sounds of the city....but we actually didn't mind it added to the feeling of being in a big city. The hotel itself is within a short walking distance from everything! Westfield and downtown union square about a block away...The front desk and everyone we spoke with were great! Overall one of our more enjoyable trips and we found our new favorite place to stay!

Room Tip: Junior Suite nice an roomy!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your experience during your recent visit to the Hotel Union Square. I am glad that you enjoyed your room and the service you received from our staff. It is guests like you that gives us the passion to excel at what we do. Thank you I look forward to your next visit.

With best regards,
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

A reasonable hotel with large rooms and excellent location in the centre of San Fran. Our first room was on the outside and was incredibly loud at night, tram cars clattering, revellers yelling, constant traffic noise and trucks early in the morning. I could not sleep. After we moved to an internal room things improved. Beds and facilities very comfortable. Valet parking around the corner was good as there is really no need to drive your car in this city. A good hotel for exploring the city. There is no expectation you'd stay inside during the day! So there are really no facilities worth worrying about. Just get out and enjoy this rocking exciting city, then return to crash and sleep. Recommended for just that. Make sure you get a quiet room though.

Room Tip: Inner rooms are much quieter than those facing streets.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at Hotel Union Square.
We do provide many complimentary amenities such as ; the daily coffee and tea service, wine reception complete with an accomplished guitar musician who provides live entertainment, free WI-Fi, business center, and our fitness center located offsite at our sister hotel the Diva.

Hotel Union Square has many different styles and sizes of rooms for you to explore on your next trip to San Francisco. I am sure we have the perfect one for you. Please feel free to contact me when you plan your next trip and I will personally take care of your accommodations.

With kindest regards,
Hanalei, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

To break the long flight from Toronto to Kauai I stayed at this hotel right on Powell Street for a few days. Since I was last there four years ago it has been renovated and I found it to be even nicer than before. You can't beat the central location and almost more important is the warm, friendly helpful staff. They really do an outstanding job in helping their visitors. The usual concierge Tom Steele was away but Rubin did a wonderful job. On his recommendation I did a hop-on-hop-off bus trip. $35 for a 24 hour ticket. Managed to do it two days and saw a lot. The manager was also very friendly and helpful.

It is not a spacious hotel, but I am not in SFO to sleep -it had a kingsize bed and nice bathroom and
was very clean. They serve wine between 5-6 p.m. and have a guitar player in the lobby. A nice way to meet other travellers and also coffee in the morning. You are close to lots of good restaurants around the area and it feels safe. It is also reasonably priced.

Room Tip: I think the upper inner courtyard rooms are the quietest.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
I was very thrilled to read your compliments about my staff and me during your stay here at Hotel Union Square, I will definitely share your compliments with the staff and I am glad that you enjoyed our coffee bar, wine hour and guitar player. I really appreciate the fact that you took your valuable time to write these kind comments and we all look forward to your return.

california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Great location to holiday shopping in Union Square . The room had 2 double beds , has been updated, a little small but only there to sleep . Clean and quiet . A wine reception with a guitar player singing was a bonus and morning coffee in the lobby . The parking the hotel uses is on site very convenient although no in/out privileges but great because it is secure with valet and you can put bags in your car . The staff were very friendly . The manager greeted us at the wine reception . Yes we will return to this hotel .
Skip the Cheesecake Factory the service is progressively getting worse and not worth the 45min to 1.5 hr wait !

Room Tip: The room with a single double/queen bed is small , at least the one we saw on the third floor was...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
I am honored that you have chosen Hotel Union Square as your hotel of choice in San Francisco. It is through comments and recommendations, such as yours, that future guests rely on when choosing a hotel in the area. Thank you for your wonderful review and I truly look forward to your return visit.

Best wishes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This is the third time I have stayed at Hotel Union Square. It is a boutique hotel in the best location. It is on Powell Street, right around the corner from Market Street. My Birthday is in December and it is so fun to head to San Francisco for the weekend. I love this time of year in the city. The weather is usually wonderful.
The regular rooms are not huge, but have high ceilings and the hotel is tastefully decorated. Also an important factor to me is the hotel is clean. The staff and manager are so friendly and accommodating. They are always quick to assist and they are sincere. If you arrive early, they will hold your luggage until your room is ready.
Last year I was there for a special Birthday and they upgraded my room.
Yes, the hotel is old, but that is part of the charm. It is upgraded where it should be yet still has the charm. For those who love the boutique hotels, this is wonderful. The location is perfect. Shopping is great and only a few blocks from Union Square. Lots of great restaurants close by, too. I will definitely be back. I love Hotel Union Square.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your nice comments about our hotel and staff. I am glad that you enjoyed all of our amenities and the excellent service you received from our staff. I am pleased to know that we were successful in making your birthday celebration here memorable.

I would like you to know how good it makes feel to make your stay with us so pleasurable that you not only return, but you also recommend our hotel to others.

Thank you for the wonderful review!

Best wishes,
Kerman, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This is a lovely old hotel in a big city feeling. It wasn't an "old" hotel but remodelled to have a nice clean feeling. We origionally had the king executive room and we were upgraded to a suite for our anniversary. We were running late when we checked in and they upgraded us to a "kid compatible suite, we though,t hey this would just have another bed for children. No problem. when we got into the room, it was a huge room, huge bathroom. Half of the room was a great suite,.... the other half had a small twin and was loaded with kids toys. Glowing clowns head, globe, and board games. I was a little bit takne back, they knew it was our anniversary and we got a room with KIDS STUFF. Oh my. We were in a hurry to get see Lion King, so we just left it. My wife thought it was fun, so it was a funny moment on our weekend. We loved the location, and it was close to alot of fun things around union square. We walked to all the big stores to shop and walked to the museum of modern art.
I would highly reccomend this hotel for a great weekend adventure. We felt safe walking around from place to place and from the Orpheum theater.
It was very clean, and the front office was helpful and helped us with taxi's and places to grab a bite to eat. They had coffee and water durring certin times of the day.

Room Tip: If your not familiar with the area, call ahead for the parking structure which is on another street...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Union Square? Share your experiences!