“The Best place to stay on Union Square” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Union Square

You added Hotel Union Square to your Saves list
Hotel Union Square
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   114 Powell Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Union Square)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #83 of 234 Hotels in San Francisco
Rohnert Park, California
“The Best place to stay on Union Square”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This is the second time that I have stayed at a Personality Hotel in San Francisco. Last time we stayed at Hotel Diva which was fun. I like the themes of these Hotels and the fact that they are locally owned.I like to come into San Francisco to meet up with friends and do a little shopping (okay, a lot of shopping) one or twice a year. The Hotel Union Square is right across from the DSW shoe store making that in itself a great location! You can walk to all of the great shopping or catch the cable car right outside the Hotel. I love the sound of the City and the sound of the Cable Car on the tracks just makes it all that appealing. If you are a light sleeper you may have trouble with the noise but ask for a room in the back. The staff is very accomodating. The rooms are clean, modern and the beds so very very comfortable. Plus there is free internet service! The hotel is very old and reminds me of the Hotels in Europe which I love. There is long term parking right behing the Hotel and if you become a perks member the cost is only $25 a day. The staff is friendly and proffesional. I like the fact that I don't feel hounded and am not getting nickled and dimed like I would at one of the bigger Hotels. This is a great hotel in a great location.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

I thought this was a great little spot in downtown San Francisco - not your typical business room. I really liked the hotel's historic feel. As people have mentioned, the rooms are small. The bathroom seemed large by comparison. The wi-fi was fine for skyping and work, I just used the free standard wi-fi, didn't upgrade. The only thing I'd change was that there were very few horizontal surfaces - a tiny shelf in the bathroom, no counter space, a small desk and a already-full bedside table. I was alone, so I thankfully didn't have to share the shelf with anyone.

I didn't have a lot of contact with the front desk, but checking in and out was smooth and friendly. Union Square is just a couple of blocks away. Wish I had time for shopping, but I was in SF for a conference.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

While the staff was very helpful, Hotel Union Square's rooms were tiny- some even without windows! Hard to spend any time in the room. However, the decor was updated and modern and the location can't be beat. Just wouldn't recommend staying here for multiple nights...

• Stayed May 2011
tabboud, Hotel Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Thank you for choosing Hotel Union Square for your San Francisco accommodations. We appreciate your feedback and are glad that you enjoyed our services. As for your tiny room you reserved, we also offer much larger rooms and I hope you book one of our larger rooms during one of your longer stays in San Francisco. Feel free to visit our website or call the hotel directly so we make sure we match your room to your needs. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you have any further needs or concerns. It is my pleasure to assist guests like you in any way possible.
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

Was let down. Location is great, but room looked and felt like a jail cell. 15' ceilings, no art, lights didn't work, 1 tiny window in the whole thing, even the bathroom.

I expected more fromt he room after seeing the amazing work they did in the lobby and hallways - great carpet, art, tile, lighting, exposed brick; an amazingly beautiful face that led to a mouth full of crooked, broken teeth.

Okay for the value, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Dear Hotel Union Square Guest of June 2, 2011

Thank you for staying with us at Hotel Union Square and for your nice comments about the lighting and the decor. We offer a variety of room sizes and layouts including much larger rooms then the one that you stayed in. It is my sincerest hope that you will consider one of these rooms on your next visit. I sure hope you give us another visit. Thank you for your business and please come back and leave your heart in your home away from home San Francisco & Personality Hotels. Please let us know when you plan to return, we look forward to welcoming you.
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Overall, not a bad place to stay in the Union Square area, but I imagine there might be alternatives worth the few extra bucks.

Pros: Located in a prime spot near Union Square (shopping, cable cars). Clean room. Good service. Good value relative to other nearby hotels.

Cons: Very small room. If you want a room with a view (facing the street), be sure you can sleep with a LOT of street noise from the cable cars and tourists. Bed was not very comfortable. Take into account $35/night valet parking.

Room Tip: Light sleepers: avoid street-facing rooms
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Without hesitation, I highly recommend this excellent hotel located on Powell Street, between Street Car Station and Union Square.
It is a beautiful hotel with modern and very comfy rooms, very kind and friendly staff, as well as all you need to be comfortable, including free wi-fi, whether you are in a business of leisure trip.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Union Square for 5 nights during a recent business trip. The accommodations were perfect. The bed was comfortable and there was no outside noise to be heard. It was spacious with a nice desk for working. The free WiFi was the best. It allowed me to get work done quickly so I could have time to enjoy the city. The room was kept spotless by the housekeeping crew the entire stay. I loved the fact I could walk to everything. You can't beat the location. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling into San Francisco.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Union Square? Share your experiences!