“Scary location, scary staff, scary room.” 2 of 5 stars

Civic Center Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   790 Ellis St., San Francisco, CA 94109 (Civic Center)   |
Ranked #222 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
“Scary location, scary staff, scary room.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Ok so we road tripped from Las Vegas to LA then finally to San Francisco and didn't book our hotel prior to the road trip. BIG MISTAKE.

We stopped off at a service station to connect to the WIFI and book a last minute hotel on the internet. We stumbled across the Civic Center Inn and saw (or rather thought) that the location wasn't too bad and the price was within our budget (around $55-60 per night)

When we arrived at the hotel around 8pm there was NO parking spaces available. We parked on the road. When going in to the hotel 'lobby' an old Chinese man greeted us and let us in, he was polite. The shabby looking young foreign guy behind the desk was of no help. He had holes in his jumper and a bad attitude.

We rented a car to drive to San Fran and when we asked if the car would be safe the answer we got back we dreaded. We were so tired that we went to sleep trying not to touch the musky sheets and woke up to find the car intact. Surprisingly. We checked in on a Saturday, a night for gangs to hang about hotel car parks and stair cases making you feel scared and uncomfortable. The noise outside from the gang members was extremely loud and didn't stop until gone 2am. The shower was dirty so I'm glad we only stayed two nights, I couldn't wait to check out.

If you go to San Francisco, do yourself a favour and have the best time that you possibly can and book a hotel down by the bay. The prices are not too expensive and trust me, you will have a better sleep in a better environment and you won't be afraid to get a shower!!!

Save yourself disappointment and book elsewhere.

Room Tip: No rooms are good enough.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Indonesian first
Telford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I have to be brutally honest about our stay and that was that it was terrible. Without reviewing the area which can not be helped although there was a homeless person camped below our room window which was not comforting.
The check in was slow and the lady didn't even look at me when checking us in which I thought was rude. Wifi was only available in the lobby and there was often nowhere to sit due to the volume of people trying to access the only wifi spot.
The room itself was very basic. We had two rooms booked where the one room had a television which only had one channel on it and the second room didn't even have television. The one room was also very noisy being at the end of the block.
We checked out as soon as we could and checked into a friendlier, safer and nicer hotel for almost the same rate.
I also had tried to contact the hotel previous to our stay by email and phone...the emails kept getting delayed and eventually didn't go through and also the telephone had a very high pitched squeal where I could hardly hear the person on the other end. Subsequently my booking amendment discussed on the phone was not relayed and when I did check in the amendment hadn't been made!! A pointless phone call. I was calling to cancel a night but in the end I cancelled them all and checked in elsewhere after staying only 7 hours.
I was too scared to sleep. There was prostitutes using the rooms. I saw one when I checked in and the same one when we finally checked out. I didn't sleep in the bed, I slept fully clothed on top of the blanket.
I can't give enough bad reviews of this place. Worse place I've ever been to and stayed in. Thankfully it was only for 7 hours before we could get out of there and feel safer walking the streets to find another hotel.

I hope this has been useful in deterring people from staying there.

København
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Unfriendly staff. Wifi and cable tv didn't work in the room, which reeked from clorin (could not be healty to sleep in!). Room was run down in general. No coffee machine or breakfast included. Limited parking. Very dodgy neighbourhood with a lot of homeless people and weirdos! Only plus was that access to public transportation was good, and union square was in walking distance.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Worst place I've ever stayed in!
No light in the bathroom, so there was a floor lamp positioned in the bathroom with the power cord in the bedroom!
We were shown 4 rooms after complaining and all were substandard
The managers attitude was terrible also

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Whitestone, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in my life, and I have had my share of bad hotels. I was in utter shock that this place was $160+ a night. The room was dirty, smelled like cigarette smoke and there were burn holes in the curtains even though it was a smoke free room. The beds were horrifically uncomfortable- if you manage to not get stabbed by one of the hundreds of bums sleeping outside the hotel rooms, then be sure that one of the bed's springs will. The beds didn't have fitted sheets, just the "comforter" and a blanket. When we checked the beds for bedbugs by lifting everything we didn't find any but we did find huge blood stains on both beds in the room. We also found a baseball cap under the mattress so who knows how long its been since someone has actually cleaned the beds. The bathroom was the cleaner part of the tiny room, which isn't shocking since I doubt anyone who stays in this hotel showers. Towels were not provided. While my friend was using the bathroom a mouse ran right up to her. We then noticed there was mouse droppings everywhere. Thankfully that mouse was a warning and we kept our belongs safe to avoid bringing any pets home with us. When we woke up in the morning I had 3 bites on my arm and we saw a bed bug in plain view on top of the bed. By the time I went to take a photo he had fled. When we told the manager he just stared blankly and was like "uh, sorry". This place isn't even worth 1 star, it should just be burned to the ground.

Citrus Heights, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We got this room and didn't realize it was in a horrible, run down, prostitute and homeless infested area. Thank god I brought my sleeping bag because just the look of the room made me shudder. The room was cooking, no AC and no fan to cool it off. The walls are paper thin. My work truck had people surrounded around it. I couldn't sleep in fear that everything was going to be gone by morning. They say its surveillanced, but who knows if it works. The elevator didn't work. 4AM I was leaving for work and ran into 2 naked prostitutes. There are about 20 people an hour that walk into the office for about a minute and then come back out. I wouldn't let my worst enemy stay here. I couldn't cancel and get my money back. I did leave a day early.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I have stayed at lots of basic hotels and they have been fine. This one is in it's own league of terrible. I feel bad reviewing it but feel like I should to warn others! This is the worst place I have ever stayed, in all honesty. On the first and second nights and I found bites on my body which a few days later turned into welts, very uncomfortable. The manager called pest control in and confirmed THERE ARE BED BUGS in at least 2 rooms, probably more. The manager was terrible and was no help, at that point he should have given my money back but he was rude and blamed me for getting bitten. I actually left to go somewhere else and just forfeited the money it was that bad. There are plenty of places to stay in the same area, which are a lot cleaner like the Cova Hotel, which was really enjoyable and clean. Another thing to be wary of at the Civic Center Inn are the homeless people. I was awoken at 4am with 2 men trying to get into my room, using out 'Do Not Disturb' card to try and release the lock. It was very scary and I had to call 911 because a third man approached my room 30mins later who was aggressive. There is no security to stop certain people walking up and down the corridors at this hotel. DO NOT STAY HERE. Thirdly, some of the rooms share the hot water with the laundry - so if you are in one of these rooms you may have no hot water during some nights.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Civic Center Inn? Share your experiences!