“A Dicey Bargain” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #222 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Northern CA
“A Dicey Bargain”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

If you reserve direct online with the hotel, you can get some pretty good rates at times when other hotels are gouging. The parking is a plus, the neighborhood sketch but improving. The worst rooms are on the back of the building overlooking Crackhead Alley. Avoid at all costs. Other than that, can be a real bargain; Little Henry's good food at reasonable prices is only 3 blocks away!

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the front parking lot, otherwise you might not get much sleep.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Indonesian first
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Everywhere smells like bum pee. The parking lot, the hallways, and the room itself had a questionable smell. The wall had been recently patched up - I'm assuming someone punched a hole in it. The door was also recently patched & painted where the chain look should have been, which made me think someone had kicked the door open. There were cigarette burns all over the sheets & blankets, despite this being a "nonsmoking" room. There was blood on one of the towels. There was hair on another towel. I went to the front desk to show them and tell them I refused to stay another night, let alone pay for another night, all they did was call over the woman in charge of cleaning our room who said nothing like that had ever happened before and she would be more careful. They didn't offer any kind of compensation or apology - just more towels. I tried for LITERALLY a month to talk to their manager for a refund, no success, so I just went through my bank and they got me my money back. This hotel is filthy, inside and out. The only good thing is the free parking, and it is NOT worth it. I didn't feel safe leaving my car in their lot, thankfully it was only one night.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

I was in town to watch the Dodgers take on the Giants, for what promised to be a fun filled weekend. My first impression of the lobby was that it was nice a cozy and thought to myself that the rest of the place would be just as nice. In any event that though was soon squashed when I took my first whiff of urine all along the stairway and halls.

1) WARNING: the hallways are completely infested with flies so refraim from talking and walk with your mouth closed ortherwise you'll surely be snacking on flies.

2) The room smelled like mildew

3) The linen had cigarette burns and smelled dirty like it hadn't been changed in days.

3) Towells were yellow

4) There was one chair in the room and it was extremely filthy like someone threw it in the trash and the hotel picked it up.

Really the room in general was dirty and it's obvious that it doesn't get cleaned very often. The linen was awful and surely does not get changed after each guess checks out.

HonesThani almost slept in my car but was too cold outside. Bottom line this cockroach haven is not fit to house pigs much less humans, and should be closed down.

• Stayed September 2012
Carmel, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

The hotel was noisey during the night with people coming and going knocking on doors and people walking around all night long. I could not reccommend staying there. The internet was not working and there was no attempt to get it fixed. Some tall black guy walking around minding everyones business.

Room Tip: Get a room somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

This by far is worst hotel EVER!!! The room was super small all that fit was the bed, the bedding was dirty,filthy, and had stains. There is nowhere to hang your clothes. At least the bathroom was clean, i was about to go sleep in the bathtub. How these people are still in business, i have no idea. I think its over priced for the rat hole you'll be in. Dont do it, stay away!!!

• Stayed September 2012
Austin, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I was very satisfied with my stay at the Civic Center.

I did not specifically pick the Civic Center and got the hotel from Hotwire due to its location and the availablve parking. Due to the very bad reviews I would not have chosen the hotel. In fact after I was "locked in" in staying a there I debated of not even spending the night. Im glad I showed up.

On arrival I did not have any difficulty in finding parking. The lady behind the desk checked me in without the problem. The doorman/security officer even helped me with the baggage and directed me to my room.

The room was clean and did not have any signs of any bug infestations (I even took the covers off to check bed to check). I had a good nights sleep although I woke up a couple of times because I heard some yelling from accross the street. Thats might be understandable due to the urban environment. Some reviewers complained about "crackheads/hookers". I did not see any of those kind of people around.

Overall a very good value for the money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Before booking at Civic Center Inn, we wanted to read some reviews here and then decide. When we read the reviews a lot of them were saying that this hotel was terrible but it wasn't as bad as we thought it was going to be... The room is not very clean except for the very good bathroom. The location isn't the best for the neighborhood but it is well situated except that this place (near the hotel) is full of poor people and drug addicts. Also when we booked the website said that the breakfast was included but there was no breakfast at all in the hotel. You also have to know that wi-fi isn't available in all the rooms, but it is free and available in the lobby. The staff was very nice, and someone is here 24/7 to make sure that no one else than clients get in. I would say that for the price i would recommend this hotel if you don't need a five star.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Civic Center Inn? Share your experiences!