“Don't Expect Much” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Greenwich Inn

You added Greenwich Inn to your Saves list
Greenwich Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3201 Steiner Street, San Francisco, CA 94123 (Marina District)   |
Ranked #203 of 234 Hotels in San Francisco
Providence, Rhode Island
“Don't Expect Much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

The staff was friendly. It's just that on the day we arrived, it was 2 hours earlier than the check-in time. I asked if there were rooms that have already been cleaned because we were traveling all the way from Malaysia. So we had a lot of luggage to carry.The front desk said all rooms were still dirty. So he told us to come back later. Since we had a lot of luggage, we had to store them at the basement and carried all of them down ourselves. He didn't even offer a help. After we have settled with all the luggage, I told him to make sure that he give the room on the first floor when I check in later because my father had a walking disability (he could also see him on a wheelchair). After I told him that, suddenly he said there was a room that has been cleaned. I'm confused, feel cheated but thankful that my father got to rest first before we head out again for lunch.

It was summer. We had two rooms. One of the rooms had an a/c in it. The other room didn't have it. So for the other room, they provided us with two fans. One was broken too. We were sweating in the room! The keys didn't work all the time. Otherwise, our stay was all fine. The location is strategic too.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
San Frantastic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

If you are coming to San Francisco to lounge around in your hotel room and live on room service, this is not the place for you.
But if you are coming to San Francisco and want to get out and about, this is a decent place to stay. Especially if you have a car -- parking is free.
I've stayed here. I wouldn't be willing to eat off the carpet, but where would anyone be willing to do that? Not even at the Four Seasons. (I never even walk barefoot in hotel rooms.)
The location is great. In between the bustle (and $$$) of Union Square and the more sleepy neighborhoods where there is nothing to do except wait for a bus. You can walk to a ton of restaurants, and shop 'til you drop from this place.
It's a bargain, in my book. I'd recommend staying here and saving your money to spend on all the awesome things to do/places to eat that San Francisco has to offer.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Quaint little motel in SF's most desirable neighborhood. For me the value was incredible and the staff (Diya and the bunch) were very nice during my extended stay. The motel's proximity makes it a short walk to Union St and Chestnut St. Feels more like a hotel with a parking lot. I would stay again for the location and the nice staff.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Ogden, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

My girlfriend and I recently stayed 4 nights at the Greenwich. There are 2 buildings across the street from each other. We stayed in the one by the main office. Although we didn't have a car, the parking lot is quite small and very tight. I can see where it would be a concern for those who use a car.

After reading some of the reviews, we didn't know what to expect. The building looks like a dive, but suprisingly the room(17) was very clean. There was fresh paint on the walls, and the sink and shower had new caulk. There were no signs of mold or mildew as seen in some posted pictures. we didn't use the coffe maker because it didn't look clean. The room was made up every time we returned. We didn't have much contact with the office staff, but when we did they were very nice.

The room is tiny and the bathroom even tinier. The shower door wouldn't open all the way because it hit the sink, but it did stay shut. The shower head was low for me and I'm only 6 feet tall, but it was manageable. We didn't use the heater because it was just too noisy and only a couple of feet from the bed. You better really enjoy each other's company because you don't get any personal space. It's a roof over your head after a day of playing.

The location is great. It's walking distance to most attractions in the Marina District - Pier 39 and the Warf etc. I agree with the other reviews, you must try Mel's Diner around the corner. It's a throw back to the 60's and has a very good breakfast with 2014 prices.

Overall, it suited our needs.

Room Tip: Room 17 was freshly painted and clean.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is simply horrible, dirty, smelly and noisy beyond belief. The sheets have not been changed when we booked the room and mould and dirt were 'dripping' out of the extractor in the bathroom. Even for $100 a night it was a torture. I stayed in the area a few years ago in the Ramada hotel which is now unfortunately closed, the hotel was simply lovely. While searching for a similar hotel, Greenwich Inn appeared, I don't know what I was thinking booking it..

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Prebooked with hotels.com arrived at the hotel and was asked for all my information again. That I can get over but the mold in the bathroom I cannot! My husband and I were to tired to look for another hotel but I really wished we did. I'd never ever go back.

• Stayed January 2014
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stayed with my parents and brother one night and 3 out of the 4 of us ended up with lots of bites. My mom had a least 25 bites that are still itching today (an entire week since we stayed there). We stayed in room number 36. There is no telling if other rooms have bed bugs as well. We told the Greenwich Inn office about the bed bug problem and all the said was "thank you" with no further explanation or comment as to how they would resolve the problem. My father owns apartment buildings and understands that this is not an easy fix. The only solution that he knows of is extreme heat...130F for at least 3 hours. I have no idea if there is a service that can help with this in the Bay Area but I would NOT recommend staying at this hotel until this bed bug problem is addressed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Greenwich Inn? Share your experiences!