“Not Recommended” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #189 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Fernie, Canada
“Not Recommended”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We were happy to find the location of the hotel exactly where we wanted to be situated - between Union and Chestnut streets, two fabulous locations in San Francisco. Unfortunately this was the only quality about the hotel that was satisfactory. From poor customer service from the minute we arrived, to a very smelly room facing one street and a window facing another, it was very loud and we were only comfortable being in the room to sleep. Also, I was charged twice for my accommodation and have not been reimbursed regardless of my effort, made to feel like it is somehow a mistake on my end. Previously we have stayed at the Cow Hollow down the street - I recommend you do the same.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
Belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Booked this hotel based on previous reviews and low comparable costs with others in the city.
Parking was free and we had no problem obtaining a space for the three nights we stayed.
The receptionist was pretty uninterested and tried to charge me again on check in, even though the payment had been made in full when booked but didn't dispute this when I showed him the confirmation.
Our room was basic and clean with a comfortable bed, fridge and TV.
We were advised on check in that the wifi was broken, however later that night we were able to connect and it worked perfectly for the remainder of our stay.
The location was slightly further out than I expected but we walked to both Chinatown and the main piers in 20-40 minutes approximately. There was also many eating options in the vicinity of the hotel.
While the motel was pretty basic, it was clean and comfortable and I feel it offered value for money when compared with some of the alternatives in the city - I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I had selected this hotel for its convenience to a client's business in San Fran. I also was concerned over WiFi Internet access for business purpose. When I checked in, there was a sign about the internet. It gave the information and said that there was no password needed to access it.

When I went to my room, I attempted to log on and was unable to do such. The following morning I went to the office and said that I was having a problem with access. The individual there said that there was a problem and such was being worked on. The following day, when I checked out, I again said that i had no WiFi access. The clerk, with a shirk, said: Sorry about that.

I would strongly recommend that they do the honest thing and take down their sign/notice that they have wifi. Management may have such but the guests do not!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Aschaffenburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

A cheaper way to visit San Francisco, with good quality... the hotel offers clean and comfortables rooms, with private bathrooms. Parking is included in the price room, that is definitely not common for San Francisco. You can reach the city center and the main attractions by walking (Lombard street 10', Pier 39 20' and downtown 30'). The surroundings are quite, you can walk safe at night too. Only negative point: the room was charged twice on my credit card, but I didn't get support from the staff to have my money back. Fortunately customer service of my credit card was much more helpful!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Room smelled of urine with window open likely to air it out. The smoke alarm was hanging by wires out of the wall so not sure it even worked. The walls were paper thin, the place was noisy and it often sounded like someone was trying our door. Spent 12 days in Northern Cal & travel relatively often and this hotel is near the bottom of the list of places I have stayed.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Maitland, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

This was the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. No where do they indicate there is no air conditioning in any room. Just imagine coming back to your room around 3pm for a little nap, opening the door, and feeling the burst of stenchy heat hitting you in the face. Not to worry, you just turn on the crappy, disgusting little fan they have in the room for you. Sure, the nights are nice and cool, even in the spring and summer, well good luck sleeping. This "hotel" is at the corner of Stiner and Greenwich which has LOUD, busy traffic all night. Impossible to sleep.
The beds are horrible, sunk and worn. I pulled the night stand out a bit to look for a power outlet, YUCK! Nasty, NASTY! A dead bug, unidentifiable. And someone's old toothbrush.
Oh, and don't bother driving a car to this hotel. You'll never find a parking spot. Sure, they claim to have free parking, all of about 5 spots.
This "hotel" was the disappointment of my entire trip to San Francisco. Yes, I was on a tight budget and I did need to be near the Warf for a triathlon event, but no one should be subjected to a dump like the Greenwhich Inn. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy.

Room Tip: We tried to get out of the room and move to another hotel but the manager refused to give us a refun...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
San Martin, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

My wife and I visit SF regularly and have stayed in many motels and hotels, some good and some bad. We often wondered how the Greenwich would be, and we found out the hard way. Our key card would not unlock the door when we got back at almost 12 midnight, no problem untill you want to get the manager guy to reactivate it. office is locked up tight,no one comes to the door or window while you ring the bell and beat on the doors and windows for almost an hour. If you go around the corner and knock on his bedroom window long enough you will finally get him out of bed with a pissy attitude and questions asked to you why his card wont unlock his motel room door. And if you ask for any discount for the inconvenience good luck,getting 10% off was like pulling out his front teeth. We will not stay here ever again. This is a noisy location and room 40 does have bugs, itched all night.

Room Tip: Don't spend your hard earned money here!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Greenwich Inn? Share your experiences!