“Outstanding service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Wharf Inn

Save Saved
You added The Wharf Inn to your Saves list
The Wharf Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2601 Mason Street, San Francisco, CA 94133 (Fisherman's Wharf)   |
Ranked #139 of 237 Hotels in San Francisco
Chandler, Arizona
“Outstanding service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

My partner and I had already checked out of the Wharf Inn and experienced a problem that required a change in clothing. The desk clerk was most accommodating and helpful. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel. If you get one on the front side, it faces Mason St...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Loud, felt dirty. More like a low end university hall. What a ripoff, avoid at all costs. We heard traffic, neighbouring rooms partying, TVs and snoring. Awful service and carpets not changed since Reagan was in office. Really consider staying elsewhere.

Stayed August 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Stayed at the Wharf Inn Aug 10-11th in the penthouse.
They do have air con in the penthouse (looks new)
The view especially of the city and Coit tower are wonderful from the room or patio.
The beds were so comfortable. My friend who came with me said her bed was better than her temperpedic at home. Plenty of towels and toiletries in the bathroom,and great water pressure.
No noise issues when sleeping as bedrooms are at the back.Live in the country where it is very quiet, so loved the city sounds as something different.Can't beat the location, can walk almost
everywhere. Yes it is a bit old,but it was clean. Wi fi sometimes a bit slow, but free,and free parking wow in San Fran, unheard of! Steve at the desk was great and so helpful, Bill was good too.
Penthouse has in-room coffee and a full kitchen. I have stayed at the Fairmont on Nob Hill,
but for the price I would rather stay at The Wharf Inn " I'll Be Back"

Room Tip: get the penthouse
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

I booked through Booking.com and based on summer rates I paid $790.00 for two nights at this great location. I will start with the Pros and move onto the Cons. Pros parking is free come and go as you please (a good deal in SF); Pros Location ½ block to the Embarcadero that is all I have to say about the pros so now the cons. This hotel should be rated a 2 star and not a 2.5 star because once you check in and walk through your room you will find no air condition (a squeaky ceiling fan) louver windows which you have to leave wide open and expose your room to all foot traffic in order to get a breeze. The carpet had rolls in it which it tripped over and the bath room was moldy in the corners.
This location was always noisy due to traffic noise from all streets adjacent to the property. The TV only had local stations and 2 HD channels, One ice machine on the ground level that is it, no mini fridge and as far as the free WIFI forget it is slower than dial up on peak hours. All in all does not stay here unless you need free parking. What a rip off and a sure dump, I will never stay here again. I do not normally right reviews but felt that I had too so anyone who reads this will question the hotel employee or the assistant manager Bill and ask all questions that I noted.

Room Tip: No tips just do not stay here pick another place to stay
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Lookout Mtn, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

My small family (2 adults / 1 child) last minuted needed 2 nights in the Fisherman's Wharf area of San Francisco. An hour of online searching only turned up hotels that were $375 to $500 / night - which didn't include parking - which added another $40 (lowest) to $80 (highest) to the bill. Then I came across the Wharf Inn - with a AAA nightly rate of $264 with parking. The website made the place look pretty decent - plus the location was incredible - so we jumped. We really didn't care (or so we thought) much about the room - we would only be sleeping there and not much else.

When we arrived, the place looks like a motel - a tiny lobby with all rooms accessed from the outside. The first thing we noticed is there are no air conditioners - which we initially thought would be an issue but if you know anything about San Francisco nights, there's very cool so an open window should do the trick. The problem was the window was so small that it did get fairly stuffy. The first night we discovered the garbage truck picks up about 4:00 in the morning - right outside our window and seems to take it's sweet time doing it's job. There's a musty smell in the room, there is zero "curb appeal" to the decor - but on the upside, the shower was great, the TV works, and the bed is mostly comfortable. The front desk guy was very cheery and helpful and the whole place is clean. Bottom line - if you want a cheap hotel in one of the best locations of Fisherman's Wharf with free parking, this is the place. Keep your expectations low and you'll be happy. No food / breakfast (cheap coffee in the lobby), no newspaper, no frills. You can't really blame the place since the price is so low. Would I stay again? Absolutely (I hate spending alot on hotels). It would be nice to have AC - despite the cool San Fran nights. But by the end of our trip, value was the key. You just gotta accept the fact that this place "is what it is" and not be disappointed by it being something it was never supposed to be - a fancy hotel.

Room Tip: Don't get a room that faces Mason Street - the garbage truck will wake the dead!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

..........and a hard place. That's where I would put The Wharf Inn. This motel is in a great location. It's near Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, a short walk to Ghiradelli Square, Trolley cars, Cable cars, various restaurants. It is also one of the least expensive motels in the area. But, it definitely has needs. That's the problem. If they sink a lot of money into it then they will have to raise the prices. Another BIG plus is free parking. That just doesn't happen in most cities especially in such a good location. The room clean but worn. The bed was comfortable. The man at check in and the woman at check out were very friendly and helpful. Would I stay there again? I can't honestly answer that question.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Everett, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

If you are reading this, please take my advice and book ANY other hotel.

My experience with the Wharf Inn completely ruined my one night stay. A classic example of bait and switch, THE PICTURES posted on the Wharf Inn Website BY The Wharf Inn (the rooms you are supposedly booking) admittedly (by the front desk) are actually handicapped accesible rooms. Not only will the couch in the picture be missing - as well as the space to have a couch, any kind of noise barrier to the outside will be also missing (with an entire wall of windows - many facing into the beautiful cement wall). The noise was so bad, I woke up twice thinking someone had entered my room. When I asked for a fan to drown out the noise, I was told the hotel did not have any available for guests. You also have to go to the desk to request the hotel hair dryer. We were missing our top dresser drawer as well but did not bother requesting another of those. I do have pictures I am happy to share of the Wharf Inn's actual rooms. Our room is especially great - the Wharf Inn's version of "righting" their mistake - a roll away crammed into a room that barely fit a questionable queen bed (eventhough I booked a king) with absolutely no room to touch the floor. This place obviously isn't in to fire codes - and without the pictured couch, there should have been so much room...
Another interesting fact is that the front desk/lobby has only one person working. If that person steps out (like in our case to get a piece of pizza) you are left standing outside a locked entry with no way of checking in. If that one person is assisting you, say trying to cram a square puzzle piece into a triangle opening, you are left outside a locked door - waiting - in an undesirable area. There is no one to help with bags or special requests - there is no one to help you get the room you requested - there is no one to right the wrongs they created using deceptive pictures and changing bed size without notifying their guests.

I think it can best be summed up by a letter written to the manager over a week ago - a letter I sent a second time - and still have not received any kind of response. There was no delay in charging my credit card - an amount I was promised would be reduced - but the manager is either too busy or not interested/ ready to admit what kind of hotel he is actually running. I am disgusted with the service and the entire experience.
Please see below:

I had asked to be contacted immediately yesterday and still have not heard from you a day later. I was told you were in a meeting until 11:30 and offered to wait. I was first told I could wait and speak with you and shortly after 11AM, I was told I should not wait for you because your meeting might go longer and you would still have to cross the bridge. I was told you were aware of my situation and had no sympathy and that I may or may not be able to speak with you. I asked the woman at the front desk to please request you call as soon as possible and left a note on my receipt for you to please contact me. I also made sure your hotel had my correct phone number.

This entire situation is especially upsetting because I booked through your hotel. I did not use an app. I did not use a discount website. I found you using your website and I called and spoke to a live person to make sure we had the correct reservations. When I called your hotel on Sunday, I requested the AAA Special with King Bed, and I even mentioned using the couch in your website's picture to the person I spoke with. (I now know his name to be ----.) I asked for e-mail confirmation before I hung up, but that e-mail was never sent. I did not think anything of it at the time, but I now see this as very suspicious. There were two people on this one night trip - a special birthday trip - that was absolutely ruined by the actions of your hotel. My traveling companion (who I am not in a relationship with) does not fit comfortably in queen bed alone. The accommodations in your very small room with bed that did not even appear to be a queen were much too close for comfort.

After arriving in our room, my friend and I went downstairs and spoke with ----, who was very helpful. Even though we thought ---- was great - and even invited him to go out with us - we were very upset when ---- told us people who requested king beds had been given queens approximately "five times in past two weeks," which would point to it being common in your hotel. This was not at all acceptable for our situation. He told us it should not happen, but it had been happening quite often.

---- also told us the picture your hotel has posted for a standard king room is a handicapped room and very misleading. He told us he was very surprised your hotel was using this particular picture on your website. ---- told us he did not think the situation was acceptable and that we would receive a discount upon checkout. He told me he was making a note of this on the computer.

----, my partner, and I all tried to find different accommodations but were unable. Since ---- was only one working, he and my traveling companion got a roll away and together moved around furniture to cram it into the room. I asked about it being a fire and safety issue, but I was told it was my only option. We could not walk in our room. To enter, we had to partially open the door and avoid hitting the dresser (with missing drawer), step on the roll away, step on the bed, and then jump off the bed and into the bathroom. That is just plain not acceptable. We could not be in the room. We left and came back after 1 AM only to sleep in a bed where one of us did not fit and the other had feet in their face on the rollaway.

---- was great - but your accommodations and the rest of your customer service was atrocious. Being on the phone for hours trying to find different accommodations and being squished into a room that was not the room we requested in the first place ruined the only night we had in San Francisco. It was the most embarrassing birthday present I have ever given. It was more than the wrong room and bad service, it was all the run around, what feels like a bait and switch, and then to either be treated rudely or ignored. I am hoping I can soon forget the whole traumatic experience.

Upon checkout, not only was OUR PROMISED discount denied, I received a receipt for 326.07. Not only did I not agree with the amount, my credit card was charged 346.07. While I am aware we did receive a service from your hotel and we are not disputing we owe for staying, we were promised a discount that we did not receive. Not only did we not receive our discount, we were given one print out and then charged even more.

I have been requesting a response, so I would appreciate a response to this e-mail. I can also be reached via phone at --------.

I look forward to hearing from you.

... STAY ANYWHERE ELSE!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Wharf Inn? Share your experiences!