“It was wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square

You added The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square to your Saves list
The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   335 Powell Street, Union Square, San Francisco, CA 94103 (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Cable Car Package!
Ranked #81 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
williamsburg
“It was wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2007

We stayed in a deluxe king on the 4th floor of the old section and it was just beautiful. We love the old pictures, woodwork and the old atmosphere. I paid a little more for the deluxe but it was well worth it. The room was very big, bathroom a little small but how much time do you spend in it. We enjoyed the view of Union Square. Our other family member stayed in the newer section on floor 25 but we loved our room and it was well worth it. They printed our boarding passes for us and everyone was very nice and helpful. We loved it and are ready to go again! I knew the double bed room would be way too small after reading. Trust me this room was well worth it!

Stayed August 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (761)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2007

We spent one night at the Westin St. Francis on our way from Tahoe to the PCH. I thought it was a beautiful hotel with a lot of classic charm.

I booked the St. Francis through Priceline for $102 a night, after consulting BiddingforTravel.com to get an idea of hotels I might expect to get in the USE zone. We parked our car just down the street (see below) and made our way to the beautiful and historic lobby of the St. Francis. The line for check-in was pretty long, but moved quickly. I gave them my SPG number at check-in, knowing that it wouldn’t get me points for my stay, but would, as others have noted, get me an SPG room. Sure enough, we were booked in a lovely king room on the 10th floor (1008) that was one room off Union Square. I thought the room was spacious and clean, with beautiful architectural character. The bathroom was pretty small, but was nicely appointed and the glass shower enclosure allowed lots of natural light throughout the room. I would definately recommend a room in the original portion of the hotel instead of the new portion - they're so much more charming.

The best thing about the hotel is the location. You are literally steps off Union Square, very close to BART and in what I couldn’t imagine to be a better location for shopping. There’s tons of little restaurants and diners nearby and a Starbucks less than a block away.

Two qualms that some have mentioned: pricey internet access and parking. I agree that the $15/day charge for internet access is steep, but it seems like all the 4* hotels are charging you for it these days, so I just accepted it. I’d rather stay here and pay for the web than in a 3* that gives it to you for free somewhere else. As far as parking, the hotel’s lot is super expensive: $49.00/night; $56.00/night for SUVs. On another Tripadvisor’s recommendation, we used the Royal Valet lot at 525 Jones Street, which was only three short blocks away, for only $18.00/night. The guys there were friendly and quick and the price included in and out privileges. I’d definitely leave my car there again.

Overall, my stay at the Westin St. Francis was thoroughly pleasant and I would certainly stay here again. And at Priceline’s pricing this is a 4* steal!

• Liked — location location location!
  • Disliked — Expensive add ons: internet, parking
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the westin st. francis.

The pros: First of all, the hotel is beautiful, and historic. There is a starbucks in the lobby which is a plus, and I found the concierge to be very helpful. The beds are very comfortable, the other staff, in general, was nice, and the 2nd room I stayed in was very spacious. The hotel is also located in a great shopping area - union square, and it's easy to get to everything from there.

Now, the cons:

1. I travelled with my mother (I was there for a conference), and when we got there we were told the room we had reserved would not be available until the following day. What's more, the only rooms they had that night were incredibly small and only had 1 double bed. So I had to share the bed with my mother, which I haven't done since I was little. We didn't unpack because the room was miniscule, but we had to re-check in the next day to get our new room key. The man who carried our bags was very kind, however, and sent up a free plate of cheese and crackers to our room.

2. The internet is $15.00 a day, which to me is overpriced. If you're lucky, you might be able to get free wireless from union square (although it is spotty).

3. The elevators are incredibly slow.

4. The woman at the bell hop station was not very nice the day we were checking out, and wanted to have our bags held until closer to our flight. We had a lot of bags (we had just been in Florida for the week before) and she eyed them disdainfully and sounded very insulted that we had so many. Additionally, we had to wait about 10 minutes before someone came to check our bags (and there was a long line behind us). The man who actually handled our bags, however, was incredibly nice.

Overall I enjoyed my stay at the Westin St. Francis, but if I go to San Francisco again, I'll probably look for a different hotel.

• Liked — location, concierge
  • Disliked — internet fee, problem with check-in
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Yorba Linda, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

This is probably about our 5th time staying here, but first time to write a review. Rooms are good. Tower rooms are much larger than classical rooms in the main building, and higher floor rooms at the tower has one of the best views in town. Although classical rooms are smaller, they are nicely decorated, and has SF charm.
Rooms here are a bit worn down compare to most Westin standards, but just can't beat the location. Only hotel right on U SQ.
Service here is very random. Some front desk staffs are nice, some are just plain idiots, and I mean it.
I would rate this hotel at least 4 star, but because of the spotty service, I am rating 3 star. Their business center is a joke. Staffs there are just clueless...
If you know SF fairly well, and looking for a simple vacation in town, you might have a great stay here. But if you'll ever need to use their concierge or ask for anything at the front desk, there's a good chance you will be highly irritated.
Bellman at the parking entrance (older gentleman who's been working there for years) is great. Very professional, and very accommodating.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — concierge
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

I'm writing this review from my room, paying the $15 a day for internet access. This is day 2 of a week long stay for business, and I'm already compelled to write a review. Pros- location, speed of check-in. Cons- 1. there were room service plates outside of my room from when I checked in until now as I type this. 2. As I showered last night- I heard someone trying to access my room. Luckily, I had bolted the door and moved the lock over- as I assume they had most likely been given the same room- they must have returned downstairs upon finding out they couldn't get in. 3. My room was clean, but definitely not pristine upon check-in. When I returned last night, it took me 20 minutes to get an elevator- I was among about 30 people waiting- there must have been a problem. 4. Walking down the hall to my room, I saw someone had thrown up on the carpet- and it still, as of now, has not been cleaned up. 5. I read on the Westin website that there was a gym in the hotel- but it didn't say I would have to pay $12 a day to use it!! Overall- I am so unimpressed with this hotel and can't believe I have another 5 days here.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

This is a beautiful old hotel. I was afraid I was going to be stuck in one of those tiny rooms by the elevators I keep reading about, but I was lucky, the late night front desk manager gave me a beautiful room in the main building facing union square. The room was spacious, the ammenities very nice, comfortable and clean. I was also worried the rooms would be noisy, as hallway noise is a pet peeve of mine, but again I was surprised. Perhaps one of the smaller rooms might have this problem, but my room was nice and quiet.

Room service was overpriced of course, but that's just about every hotel, and I am pleased to say the food was good. The location can't be beat if you want to be in the heart of everything, and here you are right on Union Square.

There are a few issues, which are very typical of Starwood properties...a company that runs some great hotels but also needs to quit with the nickle and diming and find a way to incorporate some unnecessary charges into the room cost. As is usual with Starwood, they charge something like 15 dollars a day just for internet service, which is outrageous when u consider that Hilton, Marriott, etc generally offer thi for free for guests. It's also not cool to charge 10 bucks a day for use of the hotel gym, this should be free for guests.

Parking is ridiculous as well, but that's typical of SF in general, and I didn't drive a car anyway so no big deal.

Overall though this is one of the best places to stay in the city

• Liked — Atmosphere, location, front desk manager very nice
  • Disliked — Charging for the gym and the internet for guests
  • Stayed February 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Fairfield, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2007

We booked this hotel through Hotwire and paid $127 for the night. I would suggest that if you live in the area, not to drive your car into the city. The parking fee is outrageous ($55.00 per night) and the valet service is horrible. Both times we need to check our car out, we waited for 20 minutes. The valets definitely do not move like they have a purpose. When we decide to do another overnight stay in the city, we will definitely come in on BART and then use other forms of public transportation or taxis.

The Front Desk staff was very nice upon check-in and gave us a room with two double beds. For the price that you pay, you would expect your room to come with a larger bed, but we did not feel like paying more money for another room upgrade. The room was tastefully appointed, but small. It reminded me of the smaller size of hotel rooms that I have stayed in across Europe. Our room was immacualte and the bathroom was very nice. the Heavenly beds and comforters are excellent, so it kind of made up for the small beds. Our view (if that is what you can call it) looked inwardly over some courtyard/alley and directly at the tower across from us. However, if we looked to the left we saw a corner of Union Square and gazed upon The Cheesacake Factory atop Macy's.

The restaurant food is overpriced and not that wonderful. We have many favorite restaurants in the city, so I would recommend travelers to venture out into the city for more fabulous and better priced food. All in all, it was an average hotel stay. Having spent time at various other Westin establishments throughout my traveling experiences, I expected more from this hotel so that was kind of a downer. However, the location of this hotel is fantatstic and is probably why the hotel can charge such exorbitant rates.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)