“Great Location, Nice Room” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square

You added The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square to your Saves list
The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   335 Powell Street, Union Square, San Francisco, CA 94103 (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Cable Car Package!
Ranked #82 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
New York City, New York
“Great Location, Nice Room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

The Westin St. Francis is right on Union Square which is where all of the fancy stores and tourists stay.

Our room was really nice and spacious. I didn't really see what all the talk about the 'Heavenly Shower' was about but that's okay. My only complaint is that the plumbing would make a lot of noise during the night - enough to wake me up. Every time someone in the room next to us or above us would flush their toilet, the pipes would bang and noise in our walls.

The building itself is beautiful and historic.

A nice place to stay in the heart of the action.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new section are nice.
Green Features: The Westin offered a $5 voucher if you chose not to have your room cleaned, bed made, replaced the towels, etc. We did not take them up on the offer but it was nice to have the option.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Westin St. Francis and for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to know you enjoyed the historic charm of the hotel and had an overall pleasant stay in the heart of San Francisco. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (760)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

I enjoyed my stay here - the location is excellent and close to everything and I had a pretty large room and bathroom. However, I was staying in the old part of the hotel which, quite frankly, needs an update badly. The room looked OK and the chandelier in the room was very nice but there was a musty odour, discoloured carpets and old bathroom fixtures. Also, the room was not sound proof at all and the noise from the traffic, cable cars and the live entertainment was easily heard - and it was quite noisy at times. I did like the environmentally friendly nature of the the hotel with recycling bins and the ability to opt out of housekeeping (with a $5 voucher to spend on meals as well). Also, all the staff I encountered were lovely but with a substandard room, no free wifi and the noise issues, I'm not sure if I would stay here again.

Green Features: Very impressed with the effort made to be more environmentally friendly than most other hotels - well done.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Westin St. Francis and for sharing your feedback with us. I am happy to inform you that we will begin a refresh project of our guest rooms in the Landmark building very shortly. I am most pleased to know that you otherwise enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be very friendly and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

I'm a Bay Area native, have always wanted to stay here and finally got the chance. The location and history are fantastic. But sadly, room maintenance is at the bottom of their priority list. The old wing, which is the only place to stay, was sad, dank and warn. The upside is that I probably spent more time eating/drinking in Union Square and looking at my room from the outside rather than the inside. Overall, if you're staying in SF (and you should!), you can do much better than the St Francis (and you should! )

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing the Westin St. Francis and for your feedback. I am pleased to inform you that we will shortly be moving into a refresh of our guest rooms in our Landmark building. We are very excited for this project and we very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Montevideo, Uruguay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

The location is unbeatable, right in Union Square, surrounded by the cable cars, shoppings and dining options.

The building is a hallmark of the city. And it provides everything you'd expect from a Westin hotel.

As almost every hotel in San Francisco, the rates are rather high. But you can look for good opportunities particularly when there's no conventions in town.

The rooms are rather small and the internet costs are still too high. But this seems to be business as usual in SF.

Overall, a very good cost/benefit ratio.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Westin St. Francis and for sharing your feedback with us. I am pleased to know you enjoyed your overall stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Making reservations at this hotel is the most challenging thing I've ever done. First they don't have it, then they find it for a different date, then they correct the date but it's a different rate. NO TWO PEOPLE can confirm the same info. To top it off, the down comforter had 3 stains: one looked like old blood, the other 2 were yellowish. Go figure. Just stay away from here all together.

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for choosing the Westin St. Francis and for sharing your feedback with us. I regret to hear of your experience and would like to better understand to rectify the matter. Please private message us at StFrancisGM@westin.com
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

I just returned from a stay here, and although the accommodations were pretty nice (I think we got a better room as SPG Gold members), the staff seemed disorganized, understaffed and not up to the task (despite coming across as well-meaning). We called ahead for a crib, but it wasn't there. Arriving at midnight, there was no bellhop around. We asked for the crib immediately and had to call back an hour later to ask again. The safe was broken and I wasted a morning trying to get someone to fix it, when it was already broken upon my arrival so I don't understand why they didn't fix it previously. Minor complaints, but when you spend this kind of money, you expect good service.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Westin St. Francis and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. I regret to hear of the issues experienced during your stay and share your feedback with the appropriate department heads in order to ensure these issues do not happen moving forward. We hope to be able to welcome you back again in the near future.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

We booked this hotel through a travel agent as we knew nothing about San Francisco. The location is brilliant. The sense of being part of SF history is great too. Our first room smelt a bit odd, musty. We unpacked and my son noticed the carpet in the closet was wet. I tried not to let it bother me and went for a walk, but when we returned, i realised that the toilet cistern must be leaking into the closet. It was getting late and my children were very tired. The front desk were great. We were moved that night to a parlour room of a suite in the old building, which showed how lovely the old building can be if you are lucky or pay extra, and the following day were moved to the new block which is almost like a totally different hotel, really comfortable, clean, modern. I would stay here again, but only if I knew I would be in the new tower.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! I regret to hear of the initial issues you experienced with your first guest room but am happy that our front desk team was able to turn it around and fix the problem. We have just completed a full guest room renovation in our Tower building and will be moving on to refresh the guest rooms in the Landmark very shortly. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!