“Very comfortable stay with friendly service in a fabulous location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square

Save Saved
You added The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square to your Saves list
The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   335 Powell Street, Union Square, San Francisco, CA 94103 (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Cable Car Package!
Ranked #85 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
San Diego, California
1,337 helpful votes 1,337 helpful votes
“Very comfortable stay with friendly service in a fabulous location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights on business while in San Francisco. The location is EXCELLENT right at Union Square. You literally walk out your door and you are in the heart of the action.

The service was really great and everyone was friendly. I had a suite on the Club Floor (23rd floor) and the view was really incredible. (See photos I took).

The room was comfortable along with comfortable bed. The bathroom was spacious with marble throughout. There was a desk to work and I got internet included free as I'm a Platinum guest.

I had room service one day as I didn't have time to go eat as I was in meetings all day and was starving. As typical in San Francisco... room service is quite expensive. I got a Kobe beef hamburger with fries and a coke and it was $40. It was good but ouch...that's pricey for a hamburger.

But other than that I can't complain at all. It was an enjoyable stay and all the other guests that I went to a work conference with all happened to be staying at the same hotel as well. I'd gladly stay there again in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your review and photos. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and our excellent location. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

2,980 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
  • Greek first
Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice now this year.The location can not be beat and the rooms are classic. The hotel is ideal for meeting clients and friends and it right next to the BART station. The tourist sights can be reached easily from here via BART or cable car. I recommend this hotel for first-time visitors for ease of getting acclimated to the city. The staff try to please you.

Room Tip: Better rooms are not in the towers.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

The good: Location is truly the most valuable asset of this property and some of the staff is very good and responsive. One of the issues was resolved quickly by one of the hotel managers. A curtain was missing from my room. The housekeeping manager called immediately to remedy the situation. Not only was the issue resolved immediately but I also received an amenity. I was mostly impressed by my concierge, Raymond. Raymond was excellent and he made our trip memorable. He recommended excellent places to visit and helped us get everywhere around the city. He really went above and beyond the call of duty. He's the only reason why I would go back to the hotel.

The bad: The rooms at the tower are very VERY old and need major remodeling. Replacing carpets will not do. You need major construction in order to make the rooms fit in a 'luxury' category. The most important issue I had during my stay was the view of my room. I was on the 23 floor and I was told when I made the reservation that I was going to have direct view to Union Square. I didn’t and when I called to get my room changed, I spoke to Mohamed and he was unable to resolve the issue or assign me to another room, He claimed they were sold out but I saw hundreds checking-in after me. This was unfortunate because I was very specific when I made this reservation that view was very important to me. I had a reservation at Taj Campton Place and cancelled it to stay at Westin. They guaranteed the view and would have honor their commitment unlike Westin. My biggest frustration was mainly that the issue wasn’t solved or even tried to be solved by Mohamed. Being a Starwood Platinum member did not matter.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and for your review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our location and felt the housekeeping issue was dealt with fast and efficiently. The Grand Deluxe rooms in the Landmark building all have a view of Union Square. In the Tower building, we can not guarantee a Union Square view. I am sorry you were misinformed and that we were unable to move you to a different room. We appreciate your feedback and your loyalty as a Starwood Platinum member. We have just started our Tower renovation project. We expect to finish by March of next year. I hope you choose to stay with us again.
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I've stayed here at least 5 times over the last year + while traveling for work. When I stay in the city, this is often my choice given the rates and convenience - I know that I can easily catch my company's shuttle to the Peninsula, or get to CalTrain or BART.

I've always stayed in the historic section of the hotel, so my comments are confined to that. I've always found the rooms to have great ceilings, good furnishing, and to be clean. While old, the furnishings haven't seemed run down. (Occasionally the carpet's a bit worn for a luxe property.)

The rooms that are either on Union Square or near an elevator bank can be loud with their respective ambient noises. If the room is an adjoining room, please note that noise-wise, you might as well be in the same room. (I've heard some, um, interesting things.)

While they're appreciably smaller, for the noise reason, I've come to love the tiny Queen-sized rooms. Perfect for my need of a comfy bed, shower and maybe a desk. I'm really not in the room for anything more than to sleep.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

This hotel is classic San Francisco, it sits in the hub of union square with all the shops and restaurants San Francisco is famous for. Cable car stop right outside straight to fisherman's wharf. Service and in house dinning is unparalleled with bars and five star chef Michael minna.

Room Tip: I chose the old tower with a view of the square.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your review. I am happy to hear you truly enjoyed your stay and your time in San Francisco. I hope you stay with us again on your next visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

This is a great hotel with lots of historic charm and a central location perfect for tourists. The building itself is a San Francisco landmark and right across from a bus stop for several Hop-on Hop-off tour operators, Union Square itself, and a number of high-end retail shops. We were impressed with the size of the rooms for such a central location. Our room was clean and comfortable, however room service was very slow. Still, we were happy with the service and allowed to check-in earlier than the posted time. The central location is the best part of the hotel, especially for first-time visitors.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Our daughter's dance troop had a two-day dance competition at the Westin St. Francis this past weekend and our stay was wonderful.

Rates are a bit higher than elsewhere in the city, but you are right on Union Square with lots of restaurants nearby.

Classic hotel with lots of history and with the lobby was decorated for Christmas...the stay was magical.

When several hundred people all left the hotel at the same time at the end of the competition on Sunday...the parking staff had to work miracles to get everybody out and new people in. To add to their problems...somebody parked their car in the exit lane...took the keys and went back into the hotel for almost an hour...never saw 4 guys dolly-out a locked, parked car so efficiently...excellent show while waiting for our car.

Room Tip: Some face the square - some face the other towers...check which tower you are in...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and for staying with us. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the hard work of our valet staff. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you and your daughter back next year.