“Wonderful Birthday Weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square

You added The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square to your Saves list
The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   335 Powell Street, Union Square, San Francisco, CA 94103 (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Cable Car Package!
Ranked #82 of 234 Hotels in San Francisco
San Clemente, CA
“Wonderful Birthday Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and daughter treated me to a weekend in San Francisco for my Birthday. It all started with a beautiful Parkview suite in the new tower which overlooked the city. The staff were both gracious and very helpful. With only about 48 hours to see the sites of SF, we found Union Square to be the perfect base station. We were within walking distance of the Embarcadero, China Town, Nob Hill, North Beach and Fisherman's Wharf. When we have the chance to get away to SF again, the St. Francis will be at the top of our list for hotel options.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (784)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This would have to be one of SFO's best-located hotels, but the price is that it's constantly busy. At many times I was in the lobby, the queue for check-in/check-out was 10 deep. As a result, you don't really find the service is personalised. I did not use the bell staff at all after a shocking experience the last time I stayed here; I decided to avoid them altogether. The rooms are comfortable, some can be noisy. Overall, I rate this an average hotel

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We came to San Francisco to celebrate an event for our friend. We walked into this lovely hotel and at first it seemed nice. Not extraordinary, but nice. When we entered our room we realized the bed had not been made, the floor was dirty, and there were dirty dishes from the previous guests. We called the front desk to complain and were moved after they issued us a dining credit for the inconvenience. We walk into the 2nd room...and the radio is blaring, the bed is disheveled, and the room smells like smoke. So, we get moved for a 2nd time. Finally we walk into a clean albeit incredibly small room. The whole process took about an hour. We were on such a tight schedule that day the whole incident honestly threw our entire schedule off for the rest of the night. Now I've stayed at numerous hotels in my life, and I'm guessing only at this hotel will you get the great deal of $300 a night to have an experience like that. To pay that much and have it go that way...so unacceptable. $60 for parking, a charge for the wifi, no free breakfast...and our room isn't even clean? Twice? I will never ever stay here again. The only plus was the staff when it came down to it. We had to fight a bit for it (which is the negative) but they did end up giving us a total $80 credit for the whole incident which was a very nice recognition of their mistakes and a nice apology. We used it to have breakfast in one of the adjoining restaurants. They always stayed professional, friendly, and calm which you don't always get. It comes down to even without all that, the place is just too old too small and too darn expensive. I think you're just paying for the name.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and thank you for your feedback. I am extremely sorry for the experience you had during your stay at our hotel. The Director of Housekeeping is looking into this issue as this is not something that happens often. On behalf of the hotel, I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Never Reserve. I will never come to here again. I confused my flight time. AM and PM. I had to change my check out dates. I reserved through expedia before.
I ask to Westin when I check in, Westin said I had to check expedia. I contact expedia despite of too much waiting during Expedia contact with westin for discussion, over 30minutes, Expedia said Westin disagree with earyly check out. I ask to again to Westin. Same answer, Ask again Expedia, Same Answer, Eventually,5 times contact, It was Westin Hotel Andrew Hersey maneger treat it. He teasered me. He said Could you see your flight time? What happen?
Today, I had tour in San Francisco with too much waiting to contact. Because of Westin Hotel ( Union squre powell street)bad services.
I'm very upset. Angry. He ruined my trip. Never come again in Westin Hotel Ever!!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your feedback I am sorry to hear your experience. Most third party reservations are non-refundable and non-changeable. However, mistakes do happen, and I apologize for how the situation was handled. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Milford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

I attended a national conference at the Westin St. Francis at Union Square and decided to stay there for convenience. I liked the location, but it's likely I would look around for other accommodations. Don't get me wrong. The room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable, but it just felt old and looking out the window, I was staring at a wall of other windows into other guest rooms. A bit creepy in that respect. I also agreed to be "green" during my stay. This meant no maid service for the first couple of days of my four-day stay. But the maids never showed at all. I can tolerate this, but it probably isn't the way a top hotel should operate. But Bourbon Steak is in the hotel and that was a big plus. And I did indulge in a tasting at the Chateau Montelena tasting room in the lobby. You can't get that everywhere (and nowhere in Connecticut).

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Thank you to Marichu Alvarez and Mariza (?) at the front desk (I hope I got her name right. I just remember that she is from San Leandro). Whenever my family and I come into to City we usually stay at the Westin on Market. Marichu and Mariza were so welcoming and took care of us. Our room wasnt ready when we checked in and we were late for dinner reservations. Mariza took care of us and paid for our dinner in consideration of our room not being ready. We had a wonderful dinner at the Oakroom. 3 course pre fixe was just what we needed. Marichu helped us check our bags in while we waited for our room and gave us a special surprise with champagne and strawberries sent to our room. she was so charming that my 18 mos. son fell in love with her and was hugging her in the lobby. Next time I come into the City, I'll consider the Westin St Francis on the top of my list.

• Stayed August 2013
Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband was in town for business so I went along. The large, bright, corner room with a view was great but the bathroom was small & no space to put anything. Useless refrigerator & $15/day for wifi is ridiculous when many hotels offer free wifi. Room had musty smell. My husband has stayed many places in the area and this isn't one of his favorites. We stayed here so I would be close to shopping. For the cost go elsewhere, there area a lot nicer, newer hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Corner room was very bright & cheery with a great view but still noisy on the 7th floor. Room wa...