“Outright rude staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square

You added The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square to your Saves list
The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   335 Powell Street, Union Square, San Francisco, CA 94103 (Union Square)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Westin Weekend Special!
Ranked #78 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
San Francisco, California
“Outright rude staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed at Westin St Francis a few times this July 2013. The hotel has an air of history, and although it has it's shares of scuff marks and carpet stains, it is overall decently clean. The location cannot be beat, as you are steps away from the central Union Square. With the a affordable rates offered, it may be right for you if your plan is to roam the city and use the room for sleeping only.

I booked mid-range rooms, and even though I am a Starwood gold member, the hotel did not try hard to find any upgrades. Also, the rude staff blamed high occupancy to deny me a late checkout. In all, the service was quite abysmal during my last 3 stays, so I am detecting a pattern.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor overlooking the square, it never hurts asking.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your review. We appreciate your loyalty as a SPG Gold member. I apologize we could not accommodate an upgrade or late check out during this stay. Please accept my apology on behalf of the associate that assisted you. I can assure you, our staff is happy to assist our guests. I hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (839)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Gunnison, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I had so many things go wrong during my stay that I had to complain. I won't bore you with all the minor details but it was just small irritating stuff like my key not working (twice), having to switch rooms because the hallway was too noisy, and like a bunch of other stuff. When I complained I just wanted them to know that I think they should log all these things happening so that when I have to come down to the front desk for the 4 or 5th thing that has gone wrong the new person I have to deal with knows what a terrible time I have been having and says more than just "sorry, here's your new key"... ya know? I dont' know if this makes sense but anyways when I was telling this complaint to the front desk she didn't let me finish what I was saying. All she cared about was sending "up to my room" to make me happy. I just wanted to be heard and she couldn't even give me that. I ended up getting a free nasty "superfood smoothie" to cover my inconveniences. It was such a joke.
Also, for $300 a night: no continental breakfast, tiny LOUD rooms on the landmark side, no pool. The only thing this hotel does right is they call you by your name when you call the front desk.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the landmark side if you like to sleep in silence!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your feedback. I am disappointed to hear you did not have an enjoyable experience. I am extremely sorry for the inconviences during your stay. It is our hope to provide a relaxing environment for our guests and we clearly did not accomplish this you. Again, thank you for your feedback. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back.
Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed there for 4 nights on our visit to Frisco. Since it was our first trip that too reaching there on a Saturday, it was a nightmare to drive on those streets and finding parking. We never knew that the parking was in Geary street and not Powell street. Turning around took us half an hour. It was a nightmare. On Checking in, they gave us a room which was still dirty and we had to go down and request a change. They did so immediately with a $ 50 credit to our account which was generous. We are SPG gold members and eligible for an upgrade but that was not giving citing no availability which was dissapointing and not expected. Other than that the stay was perfect. The view from the room superb and great elevators. The 1st of its kind we have ever seen.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthews, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

A Super 8 is nicer than the Westin St. Francis. The only good thing this hotel has going for it is the location. I stayed in a grand deluxe tower room and it was not grand to say the least. The building itself is very dated and not in a charming way. The room was awful. The bathroom had no privacy whatsoever with its very thin closet looking doors. The toilet was an industrial strength monster that belonged in a factory. The towels where thin from wear and stained. The sheets had holes in them and the mattress was concave from over use.

I am a gold member but was never upgraded so I upgraded myself thinking they would not charge me. Wrong, they tried to charge me for this "upgraded" room but, eventually they removed the up charge after they saw I had complained 3 times about the crappy room. That's right I complained 3 times with no remorse or resolution. I even threatened to check out but, by that time it would have not been worth it to find another hotel.

Word to the wise. Westin is no longer a brand you can trust as I have had horrible experiences with other Westin hotels. I would advise to stay at the Sir Francis Drake hotel which is basically across the street. The Sir Francis Drake is awesome with nice rooms and a lot cheaper than the Westin St. Francis.

I repeat Do Not Stay at Hotel. You will regret it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for you review and for your loyalty to Starwood. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Furthermore, I am sorry we did not handle your situation to your satisfaction. We appreciate your feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve. I hope you continue to choose Starwood.
Maine, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This hotel is in a great location right in the heart of Union Square. If you want to be right in the thick of it, this is a great place to stay. If you want a quiet oasis in the city, this is probably not your best bet. Our room was spacious and it had a fantastic view. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was great. We could see right to the Golden Gate bridge which was really nice!

Our only real complaint was with the concierge service. We had never been to San Francisco and were looking for recommendations for places to eat, things to do, etc. It may be the hotel policy not to give opinionated answers, but because we were asking for recommendations, we did not find this service very helpful. Also, we were given directions as if we were lifelong residents of San Francisco, not first time visitors. We were able to figure it out, but it was very confusing.

I would recommend this hotel if you want to stay in the heart of the city and you do not need much help in getting around, figuring out what to do and where to eat. The views were really nice!

We had a small dog with us and there was no problem at all.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Mandeville, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We checked into the Westin on 5/31 with another couple as part of a group on an organized tour with Tauck - a great tour organization. Before we departed Mon. morning (3 night stay), we checked with the front desk to assure that there were no charges that we were responsible for and were told that there were not. However, when we returned home and checked our accounts on Sun., June 9, I had a charge for several hundred dollars that should have been (and probably was) charged to Tauck. The other couple had a charge for cocktails that had been paid for with cash. However, we were in the lounge area and a charge card had to be presented before ordering. After the cocktails were paid for in cash, the charge had also been imposed against the card. I called the Westin St. Francis and explained the problem with the charges and was told that the amounts would be credited back to our cards, but the process could take up to 5 days. The other couple also called about their charges. As of this morning (8 days), there are no corrections on our cards. We've notified Tauck for assistance in getting this reimbursement. The hotel facility was very nice, very clean with outstanding furnishings. However, there was only 1 face cloth in the bathroom when we checked in. I thought that would be corrected the next day, but the next day there were no face cloths. There were 2 packets of coffee for the coffee maker the first day and these were not replaced for the duration of our stay. The view from our room was straight into a brick wall that extended about 6 stories above our room. Final note, I feel the inappropriate financial issues are significant in an establishment such as this. It also should be noted that both of us had incorrect charges.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

This was a GREAT property. Location couldn't be beat! Rooms were wonderful, clean, well maintained. However, since it is an older property it is SO NOISY. You can hear everything in the hallway. Particularly challenging when you have a 16 month old, woken up every couple hours by patrons returning home at all hours.

• Stayed May 2013