You added The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square to your Saves list
The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   335 Powell Street, Union Square, San Francisco, CA 94103 (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Cable Car Package!
Ranked #82 of 234 Hotels in San Francisco
Westfield, New Jersey, United States
“Business Travel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Nice accommodations and friendly staff. I typically stay in the newer tower where the rooms are newer. Room service is very nice and pretty quick to get your food up to you. The lobby area has nice access to a few shops and the bar. Nice, cozy old school style bar.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (784)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was booked for a week stay at the Westin for business. I arrived and had to wait 10 minutes to check in while hotel staff at the desk looked at their computers and ignored me. My room was apparently in the Tower / or newer section of the hotel. I went to the floor and it was approximately 50 degrees, as if they weren't running heat on that floor. My room was equally cold. The room was in bad shape and outdated. It looked like a bad hotel from the eighties. Water coming out of the pipes was brown! It was awful. The room was so bad that I checked out early and switched to another hotel.

Wow - this is supposed to be a nice hotel? It was one of my worst experiences ever.

Room Tip: Apparently there is a nice section to the hotel - the old section???
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Westin_St_Francis, Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Jaharts:

Thank you for staying with us at The Westin St. Francis and thank you for your feedback. I am extremely disappointed to hear your experience. We appreciate your feedback and will follow up with each issue you described. Please contact me for further assistance. I can be reached at 415-774-0317 or at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I was here for two nights for a meeting in January 2013. My room in the "tower" (some people refer to it as the "new part" of the hotel) had outdated furniture and flickering fluorescent lighting in the bathroom. It took 2 phone calls to have the light bulb replaced (I gave them all day to fix it after the first call and they never came).
As other reviewers have mentioned, the location is great and the lobby is quite nice. The hotel rooms need serious refurbishment. If I didn't need to stay here for the meeting I would have stayed elsewhere. There are much nicer hotels in San Fran that are indeed cheaper.

Honolulu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We finally stayed here after finding a great rate through AAA, and requested a room in the original building for nostalgia's sake. It was nice but small - there wasn't any room to open our suitcases except on the bed. The renovated bathroom and shower were nice, and the saving grace for our room. We only stayed for three nights, so we easily endured the small space.

The location can't be beat. The cable cars run right outside the front door, and the best downtown shopping is less than a 5 minute walk away.

If you need more space, the Donatello is one block east of the Westin St Francis and has HUGE rooms for about the same price. On our next trip to San Francisco, we will select the best room rate, and ask for the newer Tower.

Room Tip: Rooms in the original "Landmark" building are smaller than current standards due to the bu...
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

our stay at this hotel was amazing. Yes, the hotel is really pricey, but its in an adorable location in San Francisco and if your looking to tour the city, its location is right in the heart of it all... the cable car ride is right outside!
the lady at the front desk upgraded us to a grand deluxe room. we stayed in the landmark building and the room was lovely-- old-school san francisco style, chandeliers and moldings, and a lovely small, black and white marble bathroom. the lobby is beautiful also.
having said that, other than the hotel being beautiful, there was nothing really great about our stay. you would think if you're paying $300 a night, they'd give you a bottle of water or something, but all the food/drinks was $5 to touch, the soaps were kinda gross, and the coffee amenities were minimum.
also, if your coming to San Fran with a car, look for another place to park bc the hotel charges $50+ to park your car!
if your going to stay at this hotel, make sure to ask the front desk how big your room is-- our room was really spacious, but only bec we got upgraded, i know some of the rooms can be tiny!

Room Tip: the landmark building is beautiful!
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Having never stayed in San Fran before I was so excited!!!!! Upon arriving at the hotel I was left to lug my luiggage - three porters stood and watched me. I had booked a room overlooking the bay and instead I was put in a room facing a wall. When I went down to Reception they told me I hadnt booked a room with a view and anyway they had several conferences in and there werent any extra available rooms. When I produced all my emails confirming my booking and their confirmation, they suddenly changed their tune! Further I said I was a Starwood member - yes suddenly they were able to find me a room. As they couldnt put me in the tower they gave me breakfast free. I was put in the original part of the hotel overlooking Union Square which was lovely but quite noisy. I can honestly say some of the staff turned out to be very helpful but it seemed very offputting. When I went for breakfast the first morning, I was stuck in the corner right by the kitchen. The next morning I asked to be put at a better table and boy was it an effort. The treatment I received really put a dampner on my holiday.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Bossmum:

Thank you for staying at The Westin St. Francis and thank you for your feedback. It is disappointing to hear of your experience. However, I am pleased to understand the manager was able to accommodate you with complementary breakfast and a Grand Deluxe Parkview guest room. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future. If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me at 415-774-0317 or at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed here for our 30th wedding anniversary. I'm just not into requesting special treatment for special events, but given the hotel's rep and prices, there was no way I could have anticipated the maid's quarters they stuck us in. Disappointment is too kind a word. When I phoned down to the desk to complain, I was told the reservations desk would call me back. They did not. We were only there for one night, so it was not worth the hassle or elevated blood pressure to pursue.

We were woken up three times during the night, the last at 2:30 a.m., by the loud talking of guests returning to their rooms. That's not counting the bathroom sound effects both within (Yes, we've been married for 30 years, but we've never felt the need to join each other at the toilet) and without our room. Minor in comparison, but the upholstered chair jammed into the only free floor space was bleach spattered. Also, please don't bother with Bourbon Steak, the hotel restaurant.

There are so many other really nice, less pricey, little hotels in the area that I have completely learned my lesson about $$$$ + hype = a great experience (see my French Laundry review for the restaurant equivalent.)

Room Tip: Tell them you do not want a room not on the street side. Those are the broom closets.
Dear Swickie:

Thank you for staying at The Westin St. Francis and for your feedback. I am disappointed to hear you were not satisfied with your room. We offer many different guest room categories, the smallest being the Classic rooms with queen size beds. All Traditional rooms and upper category rooms are an average of 300 square feet. I am sure you would have been more satisfied with one of these rooms. I hope you choose to stay with us again. If I can assist you in any way, please contact me directly at 415-774-0317 or at michael.smutzer@westin.com.