“One of the Nicest Hotels in SFO” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square

You added The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square to your Saves list
The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   335 Powell Street, Union Square, San Francisco, CA 94103 (Union Square)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Westin Weekend Special!
Ranked #78 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Hoboken, New Jersey
“One of the Nicest Hotels in SFO”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

The St. Francis in Union Square is one of the nicest hotels in SFO. Union Square basically the equivalent of NYC's Times Square, so expect to pay for it. The rooms will be a little pricy, but the hotel has easy access to to transportation, is close to Fisherman's Wharf, has a nice spa and is very convenient for tourists in town for the first time. However, the neighborhood closes down pretty early. So a late night meal in this neighborhood wouldn't be possible… unless you eat at one of the hotel's restaurants. The "Clock Bar" in the lobby is a popular city hangout. I saw Kirk Hammett, the guitarist from Metallica there once. BTW the St. Francis is also the hotel where President Gerald Ford was shot.

Room Tip: Stay in the new tower if you want a nicer room. The old tower has better views but older rooms.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Westin_St_Francis, Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear Jon A:

Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and thank you reviewing your stay. I am happy to hear you took advantage of our convenient Union Square location. The close proximity to many public transportation options allows easy access to anywhere in the city. I agree The Clock Bar, located in the hotel lobby, is a popular place for our guest and locals alike. They provide outstanding cocktails and great service. Please visit us again soon. If you need assistance with your future accommodation needs, contact me at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

The Westin St. Francis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (839)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed here recently as part of a fly-drive tour of california. the hotel has the charm of a colonial masterpiece of architecture while offering the excelence of a first rate hotel experienced in dealing with business and tourist customers. It possesses comfortable rooms (in need of some updating regards decoration) with excellent services, a comfortable if small bar, an two well appointed and fine restaurants. the staff are well versed in the meaning of good customer service and the location is second to none. Definitely recommended....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Woosie123:

Thank you for staying at The Westin St. Francis and for your review. I am excited to read you would highly recommend our hotel. Thank you for pointing out our experience in dealing with business and tourist customers and how our staff is well versed in the meaning of customer service. It means a great deal to understand that we have exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you again. Please let me know if you need assistance with future accommodations. I can be contacted directly at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I actually thought I was booking a room at the Sir Francis Drake as I had noticed it on my last trip to San Francisco and I remember it was on Powell Street and had the name "Francis," in it. As is the case in much of life sometimes a mistake turns out to be a good thing.
The hotel lobby was lovely and it was like a movie set from another era. It was opulent and comfortable. There was a bar area and a restaurant which I did not go to. The concierge desk was there too and I depended on that information to find me places to dine and things to do.
OK the rooms are not the fanciest but they were adequate for my purpose. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet. The bathroom was marble and the water pressure was very good. The location is wonderful. There are lots of good restaurants around as well as a theater where at a few minutes before the performance I got a ticket to see "War Horse."
I didn't realize it but the hotel has a history of murder and ghosts and all sorts of interesting stories which makes me even more eager to return.
I took a walk into the lobby of the Sir Francis Drake hotel and I wasn't all that impressed after seeing the Westin. I recommend Lori's diner neat the Sir Francis for breakfast.
To sum up if you are going to San Francisco to hang out in your hotel room you probably can do better but if you want the best location and a nice room go to the Westin.

Room Tip: The rooms vary greatly and it might be a good idea to look at a couple before you decide.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Chachacheech:

Thank you for your review of The Westin St. Francis and thank you for staying with us. I am happy your mistake turned into such a positive experience. I am also pleased you enjoyed your stay and the amenities our hotel has to offer. It is great that you were able to notice to our storied history. We look forward to welcoming you again. Please contact me directly is you should need assistance with future accommodations. I can be reached at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

queensland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

On arriving after a long flight, our room wasn't ready, so we went to have some lunch and when we arrived back at the hotel we were given our room. Much to my dissappointment we were given a room with two double beds after calling down to reception the gentlemen told me that was what i booked . After explaining that was not so, he allocated us to another room with a king bed saying a gentlemen would bring up our new room key, on arriving at our door he seemed annoyed that we didn't like the room and wanted to move. Also didn't like the paper cups provided to make your coffee in your room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Keentraveller47:

I am disheartened to understand your experience. I apologize your room was not ready upon arrival to the hotel. It must have been extremely inconvenient after your long travels. And even more so to have to change rooms. As Director of Rooms, I monitor the Front Office procedures, and appreciate feedback such as yours so I may share your experience and continually improve.

Thank you for staying at The Westin St. Francis and again for your review. We hope to welcome you again in the future. I would be more than happy to help you with your accommodations should you choose to stay with us again. Please contact me at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com, if you would like assistance with your future accommodations.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Very good hotel with all the amenities you could want. Great location in union square, walking distance to all the stores and close to Chinatown. Great staff, very helpful with all requests we had. Rooms are of nice size with all amenities, great bed and shower. Very busy upbeat hotel in the heart of San francisco

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Michael D:

Thank you for your review of The Westin St. Francis. I am excited to hear you enjoyed the comforts of your guest room and had a pleasant stay. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we hope to welcome you again soon. Please contact me at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com, if you would like assistance with future accommodations.

Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

The location is great although it can be loud at night (if you are on east coast time especially). I stayed in historic tower - bathroom was nice room was well organized. It took a long time to get an elevator in the tower. One night while waiting for a elevator I watched a prostitute working the crowd in the lobby - that was surprising. We ate several meals at the hotel and they were all excellent. Meeting were held on top of new tower - those elevators on the outside of the building are pretty cool!

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Heather M:

Thank you for your review and thank you for staying at The Westin St. Francis. Because we are located in the heart of downtown, across from Union Square, the hustle and bustle of this great area can sometimes be heard from exterior rooms with street views. Quieter interior facing rooms are also available for guests that prefer the convenience of our location without the sounds of the city.

I apologize for any inconvenience regarding the elevators, the tower elevator renovation was recently completed and the historic landmark elevators renovation is now in progress. This will improve elevator efficiency while shortening wait times for our guests while ensuring the utmost in safety. We look forward to welcoming you again. Should you need any assistance with future accommodations, please contact me directly at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.

los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Great San Francisco Hotel. Stayed from Sept. 3-8 on a visit for work and to catch a SF Giants game. You can not beat the location. Right in the heart of Union Square. Plenty of bars and restaurants in walking distance. BART and MUNI is a short three block walk. Concierge was very helpful and even suggested taking MUNI to the ballpark for only $2 each way. Saved me $30 in cab fare. Hotel has two towers. I booked the older tower but was upgraded to the new tower in a more than adequate room. Room had everything you could need, bottled water, coffee maker, extra towels, etc.. The Westin bed was a dream and the double shower head is always a pleasure. Overall the staff was great. Check in and check out was simple and quick. I would stay here again when I visit San Francisco.

Room Tip: The new tower rooms are larger
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Bigt3131:

Thank you for choosing the Westin St. Francis. I am pleased to understand you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to San Francisco. If you need any assistant with your accommodations, please contact me directly at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.