“Pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Warwick San Francisco Hotel

You added Warwick San Francisco Hotel to your Saves list
Warwick San Francisco Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   490 Geary Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Formerly The Warwick Regis)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #37 of 234 Hotels in San Francisco
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Booked this hotel on hotwire for a good price. Location was quite good. Got a free upgrade to a suite, which was nice. Room was not very big, but pretty well appointed. A bit of noise and a view of a dirty alleyway. Staff were friendly.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Oakland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

If I had to rate the hotel by itself the review would be very good. The rooms are lovely, well appointed and clean. The bed was comfortable. The location of the hotel is great for easy access to a lot of things. And if you don't need sleep or need to rest or is you are in SF to party to all hours it is a fabulous place to stay. Hover, my husband and I do not like to stay up until 2 in the morning listening to shrieking people and loud dance music and that is what we got to do on both nights of our stay thanks to the club across the street. At 1:45 in the morning we both sat up in bed trying to figure out who turned on the radio in our room because it was so loud.
I mentioned what I thought was a problem to the woman at the desk on checkout who looked at me like I was crazy, so maybe it is just me and sleeping in hotels is not something one should expect. She was dismissive of my concern and simple said, "hmm, interesting." So - nice maybe for week nights, but on weekends this is really just a place to keep your clothes because sleep is not something that can reasonably happen.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Lake Tahoe, CA, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We booked a room on price line name-your-own-price so we got a great deal. Upon arrival, our room had 2 double beds. We fingured we were out of luck, given we had not booked thruough the hotel, but after a quick trip back downstairs where my husband explained it was our anniversary, the very pleasant young woman at the front desk upgraded us to a fireplace loft room!
The room was on the backside of the hotel, so it was quiet. It was spacious, with a very comfy queen four-poster bed, 2 chairs by the fireplace and a chaise near the 3 windows. The bathroom and separate second sink area were impeccibly clean. The only reasons I only gave 4 stars were 1) the shuddery elevator and 2) the ugly, incongruous fake wood desk and dresser/fridge cabinet in the room.
The doormen, front desk staff, bar staff were uniformly friendly. The free SF Chronicle and free wifi were welcome as well.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms on the back are quiet, Rooms facing Geary have triple glazed windows so are fairly quiet as we...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We were pleasantly surprised of how roomy the room was. Too bad we checked in later in the evening (6pm) for just one night. We thoroughly enjoyed being able to walk to everything including to the Bart station, using the Bart for the trip back to SFO instead of other form of transportation. Very easy!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

ehalliday, General Manager at Warwick San Francisco Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Anonymous TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for the very positive review. We really appreciate that you would take the time to share your comments with us. Perhaps there will be another visit in the future that will allow you to take full advantage of the great rooms and convenient location. Thank you for your patronage and support.

Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Warwick is a nice quality smaller "boutique" hotel. I think for the hotel it is trying to be (NOT a major destination hotel but more of a local boutique) it is a good bet. We had a 5th floor balcony suite. While compact in size, it worked for the two of us for three days. I am glad we booked the "suite" because otherwise it would have been too cramped, I think. As it is, it was a "city-size" (meaning smaller) suite, but with the suite you had a desk to work at, a separate couch, and two TVs and it all worked. Very small place to put clothes (one wardrobe and no dresser) so limited space to hang clothes or even store folded clothes. Bathroom was also small, but it works. One sink and limited area on the sink for two people. If you are used to big city hotels, (NY, Paris, etc.) this one will work for you. But overall the suite had what we needed. Maid service was good and they provided a paper each day at the door.

Location is great, one minute or so to the heart of Union Square for shopping and restaurants. We did not try the restaurant at the hotel, but did have one drink in the bar, which is nice.

Twice I was told "since you booked directly with us" you get (complimentary drink at the bar and complimentary use of local health club). I guess if you book through another provider you don't get those, but not sure. Again, as a small hotel, no fitness center, but they are affiliated with one a few blocks away which was fine and that place had what you need for a workout.

As it is a smaller place, things are done a bit differently. No one was there to help us into the hotel with our luggage. I think sometimes hotels go overboard with bellman service especially if you are on business and have just a roller bag you can do yourself and don't need bellmen fawning over you. The Warwick, however, was the opposite and perhaps goes too far the other way. There was no one at all to help you in or out, which I found to be a bit odd. I suppose we could have asked, but we are self sufficient on holiday so it was OK.

Interestingly, our room was on the fifth floor, but down a half flight of fairly steep stairs after you get off the elevator. Again for us this was fine, but for the elderly or someone with disabilities or that could not carry a 45 pound bag up and down some stairs, that room would not work without assistance. They did not mention this at check in; for others it could have been an issue I suppose.

Staff was very friendly and helpful, but perhaps not quite to the level of a major full service hotel with knowledgeable full time concierge, etc. We did run into the General Manager and he was very knowledgeable about local places and extremely friendly, accommodating and helpful, however. If I had any issue or question, he certainly seemed like the "go to" guy. Staff also tried hard to help us and answer questions.

The room facing the street was what we wanted (to see and experience the city) and it was New Years Eve week so there was definitely some noise. This is not a sound proof hotel, there was some relatively strong street noise. Not sure if new windows and sliding doors would solve this or not. We were OK with it as it was a holiday weekend and lots of activity, but if you are a sensitive sleeper that room might not be for you.

We were disappointed by the lack of room service. I did not check this in advance so that is partially my fault, but since there is a restaurant adjacent, I thought there would be room service.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Gary_H_888,

Happy New Year! It was a pleasure to meet you during your stay with us. I enjoyed hearing about your recent central coast trip and time in San Francisco. Thank you for writing such an extensive review of your time at The Warwick San Francisco. We appreciate your mentions of our great location and helpful staff. I would like to point out that we do have suites that do not require stairs, if this is ever an issue. The stairs are part of the charm and history of a 100+ year old building. I was disappointed to learn that the bell service seemed lacking from your perspective. The bellman will assist guests at the Front Desk and, perhaps, they were pulled away. Also, I wanted to address the lack of Room Service; we have had some challenges getting the Room Service operational from the restaurant. This is something we will get corrected very shortly. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences. We hope to see you, again, in the future. Thank you, again, for staying at The Warwick San Francisco.

Silicon Valley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The staff were very friendly and helpful, exactly what you want when staying in a hotel. Unfortunately the hotel itself was not exactly as wonderful. When we arrived we went up to our room but as soon as the elevator door opened the strong smell of cigarette smoke in the hallway greeted us. My daughter is pregnant and this was not good for her. Once in the room the smell was not there, however the room had a musty stale smell. The staff we were told was working on the cigarette smell. When we left and came back it was gone. We left again for dinner and shopping returned and the smell was there again. I think the hotel needs to have a check in place for guests smoking in the hallways. The hotel had been recently renovated however it was not done very professionally. The rate was good through Expedia but I would not stay again.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Dear SiliconValleyCA

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I was disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations. We can certainly understand how the presence of smoke would be disconcerting, especially to you pregnant daughter. Typically, it is not an issue here, but we do take immediate action if there is a guest ignoring our non-smoking policy. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences. We hope that you would consider staying with us, again, in the future. If I can ever be of assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed at The Warwick for 4 nights over Christmas and, on the whole, enjoyed our stay.

We had booked a suite which turned out not to be two rooms (as we'd expected) but one large-ish and spacious bedroom, with a sitting area. Our room had an open fire, which made the room rather cosy, and we also had a balcony overlooking Geary St, a lively and noisy street.

The double bed in the room was quite small, but comfortable. The bedroom was tastefully furnished, but the bathroom was tiny (although clean.)

All the hotel staff we encountered were friendly and helpful, but we found one of the bartenders in the hotel bar to be a bit lacking in charm.

It's true that the surrounding area is a little grungy, but we never felt unsafe or threatened.

Room Tip: I don't know if rooms elsewhere in the hotel are any quieter, but if you have a room at the fron...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear M_Stoneway,

I was happy to see that you were able to enjoy the holiday season with us. I was disappointed, however, to learn that you did not get the suite type you expected. We do have several suite styles including the large Fireplace Loft Suite. Thank you for pointing out the friendly and helpful staff (well most of them), we are very lucky to have such a great group of people working with us. If I can ever be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you for your patronage and continued support.

Eric Halliday

Been to Warwick San Francisco Hotel? Share your experiences!