“Great service, small rooms” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Warwick San Francisco Hotel

Save Saved
You added Warwick San Francisco Hotel to your Saves list
Warwick San Francisco Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   490 Geary Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Formerly The Warwick Regis)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #63 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Brisbane, Australia
“Great service, small rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The staff at check in were very friendly and helpful. For the price that we were paying I did expect that the rooms would be slightly larger. The bathroom was unusually small, with the bathroom sink outside of the bathroom next to the entry door into the room. The location was great and the bar was very nice.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

DISCLAIMER: OUR STAY IS NOT YET COMPLETE AND AS SUCH THIS REVIEW IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE:

My husband and I are currently staying at the Warwick Hotel in San Francisco for 9 nights while on business. We booked this hotel specifically because of the wonderful memories I had of staying at the Warwick New York City, another branch of the official International Warwick chain of "boutique"-style hotels. Unfortunately, immediately upon entering the front lobby - a tiny room off the sidewalk guarded by two glass doors which one must awkwardly open outward whilst struggling with luggage, etc - which consisted solely of a generic, cheap looking reception desk and not much else. Seated in this strange, blandly decorated and almost dismally lit space was a casually dressed woman with no name tag, who gave us no greeting whatsoever and while checking us in - for NINE nights - treated us with absolutely no respect beyond that you would give a stranger asking for the time. After somewhat rudely informing us that she required $75 for a "deposit" (duh - just do it), she ran our credit card and read us a room number, closing with "the ice machines are broken so you have to come downstairs if you want ice." Charming.

Exhausted, we arrived to our room to find that the door was completely ajar... which though presumably accidental was obviously alarming and a lack of proper preparation on the staff's end. We knew the rooms were tiny, so that didn't bother us much, but upon settling in we noticed a few really basic things seemed "off". First, there was no room service menu, because, as I found out when I called the same woman at the front desk after she had to check with her superior because she "wasn't sure", there IS NO ROOM SERVICE. Also missing from the room were standard motel-grade materials like basic pieces of literature as to where to eat, what to do with laundry, etc., etc., There was literally nothing in the room aside from a bed, an armoire, two tiny tables and a couple obviously not complimentary bottles of water. No instructions or list of amenities to be found. Too tired to care, we dropped the cause and went to wall greens and had a dinner of Pita chips and cheap wine.

I'm appalled that this "newly renovated" building has somehow succeeded at passing itself off as worthy of the Warwick name, a hotel chain I had once thought to be strictly associated with small scale, boutique-style elegance, at which the personal and exceptional service, unique aesthetic beauty and "one of a kind" rooms and locations within their respective cities made staying at any other "flashly", "central", "famous" or notoriously pricey hotel seem flashy and tasteless.

I cannot speak for the rest of the locations in North America or Worldwide as of yet, but let it be known, as the trip advisor site and score for this hotel was recently relaunched and completely wiped due to the renovations, that most certainly in terms of personnel, staff, and overall "experience" this hotel falls fall short of what I would expect not only of the Warwick name, but thus far, of just about any roadside Marriot or Days Inn I've ever been to - at least there they smile and say "Welcome, Mr. so and so!" and smile at you when they hand you your door key to your $69 suite. No such luck here - and we shelled out a pretty dime for our 9 nights. As far as the facilities go, again, underwhelmed. It seems haphazardly designed without any thought as to any semblance of creating consistent interior aesthetic/ambience - as artwork, furniture, electronics and fixtures all seem carelessly and mindlessly thrown together in haste - and seem to nonsensically encompass aesthetic / artistic styles that span nearly 400 to 500 years, with absolutely no thought present behind the juxtaposition among them, which is immediately clear to even the most un-trained eye. Basically, the room looks "weird". To add insult to injury, surface space like table tops and counters are extremely limited - making it difficult to store or even put down one's most basic luggage items anywhere but the middle of the floor - while in our experience, unnecessarily and disproportionally HUGE pieces of furniture (a victorian armoire?!) occluded a significant portion of the room and were of no storage value whatsoever on the inside or outside - which in addition to eating up essential spatial real-estate in a room that already has extremely little to begin with - seems almost like a conscious lack of effort to optimize space in a logical and practical manner. The comical size, mismatched style and total impracticality of use of the armoire in our tiny room didn't help to not add insult to injury, either. Perhaps Federal-style a Desk, with a chair, would be nice? A table? Set of Chairs? Hell, anything.

I sit here writing this review having not finished our stay, and should my experience continue to deteriorate over the week or somehow rally, I will amend the review as such, as I have no intention of flaming my former-favorite hotel chain in the world, even if this favoritism was based solely on my NYC experience and on the fanciful narratives, descriptions, and reputation that the Warwick name carries.

This place is no Warwick. I don't know what this is.

Room Tip: I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a "good room" here. I would just ask for the...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
ehalliday, General Manager at Warwick San Francisco Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Madeline B.,

I was disappointed to read your comments. It is clear that our design and style did not meet your expectations. We are a smaller hotel then The Warwick New York, and have a less traditional design. Aesthetics aside, it is clear that there are opportunities to improve. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences. I would appreciate the chance to discuss the remainder of your visit. We have other room layouts and I am certain we could find something that would e more comfortable for the duration of your stay. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience. I can be reached directly at 510-684-9630 or via email at ehalliday@warwickhotels.com. I look forward to talking with you.

Gloucester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I stayed at the Warwick in August for three days. The staff were very knowledgable and couldn't have been more pleasant and helpful . The location is convenient especially if you are using über ( which I recommend ). Will definitely stay here again .

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Palmer65,

We appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experiences with us. I was happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and would be willing to return. I was most pleased to know that our staff was able to make such a positive impression during your stay. We are lucky to have such a great group of people working with us. If I can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly. We look forward to your next visit to San Francisco and The Warwick San Francisco. Thank you for comments and for your patronage.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Daughter and I recently spent the weekend in San Francisco and stayed at the Warwick. The forecast had been for mild weather but it turned out to be quite chilly. I found San Francisco to be too crowded, loud, chaotic and expensive for my liking. Our room at the Warwick was such a comfortable place to retreat to. It's Union Square location was perfect for us. The beds were quite comfortable and the bed linens also comfortable. The temperature in the room was easily adjusted to suit our need. Everything was nice and clean. Towels were fluffy. Our room overlooked Geary and so there was street noise floating up. That's why we travel with earplugs. I felt right at home because the room décor reminded me of my own bedroom, done in navy and taupe. What great taste their designer has! We didn't visit the restaurant or bar, but the bar was full on Saturday night, and a restaurant patron who we ran into in the elevator said she enjoyed her meal. We found all the staff we interacted with to be friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear otherpatsy,

Thank you for the great review. It was great to know that we were able to offer a welcome return from your time out in San Francisco. We appreciate you pointing out our great location and comfortable rooms. I was most appreciative of your comments regarding our employees. We take pride in providing a comfortable and hospitable hospitality experience in the heart of San Francisco. We look forward to your next trip to The Warwick San Francisco. Thank you, again, for your wonderful comments and for your patronage.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We recently stayed here for four days during our third trip to San Fransisco. The area is O.K. Near, if not in the sketchy Tenderloin District. Short walk to Union Square and restaurants. Long walk to Fisherman's Wharf. Opted not to pay for hotel's parking. With a little research, located several secure parking garages in the same area for less than $20 per night. Far better than the hotel's near $50. Complimentary wi-fi, which was nice. No on site gym or exercise facility. No business center or accessible computers. Our room was small and did not appear to have been recently renovated. Unfortunately the shower and tub was dirty containing hair from the previous occupants...Yuk. No free breakfast, but they did have a Continental Breakfast option for $18 per person. This was not an option for us...San Francisco has too many great restaurants. Brenda's French Soul Food was in walking distance, which was awesome. As previously mentioned, this was our third trip to San Francisco, there are better options.....in value, location and amenities.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear ale32931,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. Though we enjoy hearing the positives it is often those comments of a more direct nature that help us to improve. I was very disappointed to learn of the issues with housekeeping. We are very proud of our renovated rooms and can do a much better job of cleaning and preparing a room for a new guest. Please accept my apologies. With regards to parking; we do offer valet parking, however, there are many other options to choose from, as you noted. The rates at some of these self park garages fluctuate and some do not offer in and out privileges. When choosing one of these garages please be sure to ask these questions. If I can ever be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I would be happy to assist in any way possible. Again, thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments and your patronage.

Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The hotel has just finished a renovation! We really enjoyed our stay! The check-in took a little longer (not because of the hotel, but because of booking.com rules...) and the front desk manager was so kind to give us a really nice corner room with 2 windows, free wi-fi and a complimentary drink in the bar. They also started a new line on bathroom products which I liked most during our 3-week travel! We definitely recommend Warwick to anyone travelling to San Francisco!

Room Tip: Take a corner room - like 608
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
ehalliday, General Manager at Warwick San Francisco Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear pink_comete,

What a great review! Thank you for pointing out the remodeled rooms and new bath products. We just placed the new guest amenities in the rooms earlier this month and have received very positive feedback. It is obvious that you stay in a lot of hotels and your comments mean a great deal to us. I was, however, sorry to hear that check-in took a little longer than usual. Please accept my apologies. We hope that there will be another opportunity to welcome you back to The Warwick San Francisco Hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future for any assistance. Thank you, again, for the outstanding review and for your patronage.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Was in SF for a business trip and I stayed at the Warwick Hotel. I was only in for a day, but the staff made quite a good impression.

After getting to the airport, I realized that I left some of my presentation materials in my apartment. I had a really tight schedule, with only a couple of hours between my flight arrival and my meeting at the convention center. I phoned the hotel and Jenna answered the phone I emailed all my documents to her and she had them printed and bound for me. By the time I got to the hotel, they were already at the front desk.

Kudos to Jesse, Mariah and Lawrence!

The room was clean and had everything I needed. The remote control was funky though; it was a bit difficult to change channels using the remote.

Other than that, the hotel is walking distance to quaint restaurants and drug stores for sundries.

I usually stay at boutique hotels when I travel because I find most chain hotels to be rather dull and boring. The Warwick was a nice place, I'd definitely stay here again. I didn't get to go to the bar, but it seemed to have a bit pretentious crowd. Other than that, the hotel is great for a short getaway.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Robert B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I was very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and would be willing to return. I was especially pleased to see that our staff was able to make such a positive impression during your visit. We take pride in providing personalized service and Jesse, Mariah and Lawrence are excellent representatives of The Warwick San Francisco. Thank you for taking the time to recognize their efforts. I will be certain to share your comments with the entire Front Office team.

I was surprised by your comment about our bar, The European, and wanted to let you know that our goal was to create a very enjoyable environment that is far from pretentious; perhaps it was an off night. Maybe on your next visit to SF you will be willing to give The European another try. If I can ever be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly. We look forward to your next visit and thank you, again, for your comments and your patronage.

Eric Halliday

Been to Warwick San Francisco Hotel? Share your experiences!