“Beware of the Warwick San Francisco” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Warwick San Francisco Hotel

Save Saved
You added Warwick San Francisco Hotel to your Saves list
Warwick San Francisco Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   490 Geary Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Formerly The Warwick Regis)   |
Special Price
10% Off and Free WIFI
Ranked #85 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
SW, Florida
“Beware of the Warwick San Francisco”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We just returned from spending 3 nights at the Warwick Hotel in San Francisco. I read mixed reviews prior to staying there so was unsure what to expect. Unfortunately, all the bad reviews I read were accurate. This hotel is old, worn, dirty, desperately needs to be updated. I read many reviews that said the rooms were in the process of being updated, at check in I asked if our room was one of them. The gentleman checking us in said the hotel had not started redoing any of the rooms yet, they would begin doing so at the end of the year. I am not sure what to make of that comment. Could an employee really not know if the rooms are in the process of being updated? Could all the travelers who have said they were in a recently updated room be making it up? Would the employee have said that just because we were in a room that was not updated yet and thought it best to say none of the rooms were? The hotel is in the theater district which is only a few blocks from Union Square however it is very close to the Tenderloin District. There was an alley just outside our room and we were able to look into the windows of the people who lived in the building on the other side of the alley. We had to keep the bathroom window closed when in the bathroom to prevent them from being able to look in our window. We could also look down the alley and see a "Massage" parlor. We would not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ehalliday, General Manager at Warwick San Francisco Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear candcmon,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I was disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations. I did want to clarify that our renovation is planned to begin towards the end of this year. In preparation for the renovation we have completed model rooms. Some guests have had an opportunity to experience these rooms and have posted their comments. Please accept my apologies for this confusion. Thank you for pointing out our central location a few blocks from Union Square. San Francisco is a very diverse and compact city that has great charm and character. We are lucky to be in such a wonderful location. We hope that you will reconsider staying with us when our renovation is completed. Thank you, again, for your feedback and for your patronage.

565 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Eden, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

The Warick Hotel, with it's great location and loads of character is a hotel that my husband and I would recommend to any traveller. The friendly and knowledgeable staff were able to answer all our questions about San Francisco making our tourist destinations so much easier to find. Our room was a double front room that had lots of character, a comfortable bed and period furniture and a pleasure to come back to each day. The adjoining restaurant served a delicious and nicely presented breakfast. We are so glad we stayed at the Warick and not some souless glitzy hotel. Thank you.

Room Tip: The double front room was a great room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 822karenB,

Thank you for such an outstanding review. It is wonderful to see that you appreciated the character and charm of our hotel and found our staff to be friendly and knowledgeable. Your last comment regarding our “soul” really struck a chord with us. We are very proud of our efforts to provide a comfortable and enjoyable hospitality experience in the heart of San Francisco. We are happy to know that we helped make your visit to San Francisco a memorable experience. If I can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly. We look forward to your next visit to San Francisco and Warwick San Francisco Hotel.

Best regards,

Colchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Very well sited being less than five minutes' walk to Union Square. A small hotel, but with a cosy feel to it. We'd pre-booked a suite but when we arrived found ourselves installed in a poky little double room. My wife quickly corrected that while I was dropping off the hire car, but it wasn't a great start. The suite was ok size wise although it did have a nice balcony overlooking Geary Street, very much in the Spanish style. Breakfast choices are not vast, but everything was beautifully cooked and tasty. Their poached eggs and omelettes are done to perfection and the potato cake to accompany is delicious. We thought 14/16 dollars for a breakfast of this quality was very good value. Free use of the computer terminal and printer in the foyer was another plus. A bit on the pricey side - we wondered whether the America's Cup had anything to do with that - but given the accommodation standard and setting overall not desperately bad value for money. Front desk extremely cheerful and helpful, arranging a Town Car return to the airport for us and taking a small deposit for the 48 hour ticket for one of the hop-on/hop-off sightseeing tour bus companies which you can board in Union Square. The hotel certainly had some character to it and we enjoyed our two nights there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear johnanddelaine12,

Always great to hear from the UK. I spent a little time in London and Cambridge recently and really enjoyed the experience. While Americas Cup turned out to be a real stunner, it was just one of the many great reasons to be in San Francisco this September. I was happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and your time in San Francisco. Also, I will be certain to share your comments regarding our great breakfast to the team at La Scene Café & Bar. We appreciate that you would take the time to share your thoughts with us. Thank you for the wonderful comments. We hope to see you again on your next visit.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My husband and I, along with our 9 month old baby, travelled to San Francisco in July for a conference + vacation. We were nervous travelling for the first time with our baby and wanted to stay at a place that was close to the conference and yet was smaller and cozier than the large-chain hotels. We also were keen to find a place that had all the proper amenities for a baby (crib, fridge for milk bottles, high chair in the restaurant, etc.).

It was our first time staying at the Warwick - we booked for an 8-day stay. I cannot tell you how much we enjoyed our stay there. We had an amazing suite which allowed my husband and I to watch TV and work on our laptops while our baby was sleeping in his crib in the adjacent room.

On our first night, we had an issue with the bed. Long story short - the fridge wasn't plugged in and when our hotel attendant tried to move the bed to insert the cord into the outlet, the bed frame splintered and broke.

The team went above and beyond our expectations to rectify the issue and make the rest of our stay comfortable, pleasurable and memorable. Nestor deserves a GIANT THANK YOU for his problem solving approach. As there were no other rooms for that night, we had to sleep on a broken bed. Nestor literally thought "outside the box" by providing us with boxes that he painstakingly placed under the bed to keep it propped up. We were in the middle of a heat wave but Nestor just kept bringing up boxes and working his butt off to make sure we were comfortable. I have never witnessed that kind of devotion and professionalism. The next day Sean, a truly outstanding Hotel Manager, moved us to an upgraded suite and personally took care of us.

Also, the food at La Scene restaurant was great. We enjoyed breakfast almost every morning while there. We were fortunate to be waited on by Virginia, a 5-star head waitress who made us feel like royalty. She always greeted us warmly, was patient with our temperamental baby and went above and beyond by providing boxed cereal snacks for our baby boy.

We look forward to our next stay - hopefully as soon as next summer!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ehalliday, General Manager at Warwick San Francisco Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear annaatlaw,

Thank you for such a wonderful review. Often times it is during a problem that the true hospitality spirit will shine. I was extremely happy to hear that Nestor was able to take constructive action to remedy such a unique situation. He does, indeed, deserve a “GIANT THANK YOU”. I was glad to see that the remainder of your stay was successful and enjoyable and that you would be willing to return. Also, we are very appreciative that you would make mention of our wonderful staff. I have shared your comments with Nestor, Sean, Virginia and the entire team. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We look forward to your next visit to San Francisco and welcoming you back to Warwick San Francisco Hotel.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We chose this hotel because we were visiting our son who was doing a term at Hastings Law school. The hotel is 5 minutes away from Hastings. We were pleasantly surprised to find ourselves exactly in the right spot, 3 minutes from Union Square, close to all the right shops etc.
The rooms are small but comfortable and nicely decorated. We found the restaurant unexpectedly good.
This is not a place to fall in love with. But decent enough, good value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed here with a load of Avios points very recently. I was a bit concerned after reading some of the reviews describing it as "run down" and "in need of a refurb". I checked in and was going to upgrade to a suite room as I was sure the other rooms would be "small" "dirty" "tired" etc, based on other reviews. However, when I was shown my queen deluxe (I Think) room I was pleasantly surprised, as I found a found tastefully decorated room with lots of space and a charm all of its own.

No aircon, but I didn't need it as the Fan worked perfectly and there is in room heating, bathroom spacious and clean and an enormous king size bed. The Staff were friendly engaging and helpful, I chewed the ear of the barman most nights and was given good recommendations on where to go out.

A word about the area, this hotel is on the very border of the Tenderloin and it gets lively at night with homeless and streetwalkers. This is no different to any other Metropolitan city (London, New York, Paris, Amsterdam) and in my opinion is really quiet harmless and not intimidating .Just don’t engage, standard stuff.

If you love bland, corporate, mini-city hotels with no charm or character then maybe the Warwick isn't for you. However if your looking for a comfortable clean, boutique, hotel with charm and character close to one of the most vibey areas of San Francisco this is good bet.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

This is a 3* hotel ... and is no better than a 3* hotel. The rooms are fine - a little on the small side, you walk into the room and BAM, there's your bed. Had a bit of an issue with the wardrobe door not closing, especially with it being such a small room - you need all the spare space :) The other downside was that the hotel has no Air Con. The room had a fan but that made absolutely no difference when the outside temperature was 24/25 degrees celsius. I understand SF is not well known for being hot, but the hotel should provide the option of Air Con for the summer months even if they choose to switch the system off in the winter.

The hotel itself is in a great location and people moaning about that are crazy. We didn't have to get a cab anywhere as everything is on your doorstep pretty much!

I would definitely recommend this hotel but bear in mind this is a 3* hotel! I think some people forget that when writing their reviews and expect 5* service :)

The staff were pleasant and helpful enough too - always a plus point!

Room Tip: Try and get a room on a higher floor to miss some of the traffic noise. We were on Floor 6 and until...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
ehalliday, General Manager at Warwick San Francisco Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear ustraveller08,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences caused by the temperature during your stay. We are in the midst of planning a renovation for later in the year and will be adding air conditioning. San Francisco has a very temperate year round climate and A/C is usually not required. However, we have decided to add A/C during our renovation based on comments such as these from our guests. I was happy to see that you found our location to be “great” and our staff to be “pleasant and helpful”. Again, thank you for sharing your comments and for your patronage.

Eric Halliday

Been to Warwick San Francisco Hotel? Share your experiences!