“Great location, pleasant hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Warwick San Francisco Hotel

Save Saved
You added Warwick San Francisco Hotel to your Saves list
Warwick San Francisco Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   490 Geary Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Formerly The Warwick Regis)   |
Special Price
10% Off and Free WIFI
Ranked #85 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Great location, pleasant hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We chose this hotel because we were visiting our son who was doing a term at Hastings Law school. The hotel is 5 minutes away from Hastings. We were pleasantly surprised to find ourselves exactly in the right spot, 3 minutes from Union Square, close to all the right shops etc.
The rooms are small but comfortable and nicely decorated. We found the restaurant unexpectedly good.
This is not a place to fall in love with. But decent enough, good value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

565 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed here with a load of Avios points very recently. I was a bit concerned after reading some of the reviews describing it as "run down" and "in need of a refurb". I checked in and was going to upgrade to a suite room as I was sure the other rooms would be "small" "dirty" "tired" etc, based on other reviews. However, when I was shown my queen deluxe (I Think) room I was pleasantly surprised, as I found a found tastefully decorated room with lots of space and a charm all of its own.

No aircon, but I didn't need it as the Fan worked perfectly and there is in room heating, bathroom spacious and clean and an enormous king size bed. The Staff were friendly engaging and helpful, I chewed the ear of the barman most nights and was given good recommendations on where to go out.

A word about the area, this hotel is on the very border of the Tenderloin and it gets lively at night with homeless and streetwalkers. This is no different to any other Metropolitan city (London, New York, Paris, Amsterdam) and in my opinion is really quiet harmless and not intimidating .Just don’t engage, standard stuff.

If you love bland, corporate, mini-city hotels with no charm or character then maybe the Warwick isn't for you. However if your looking for a comfortable clean, boutique, hotel with charm and character close to one of the most vibey areas of San Francisco this is good bet.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

This is a 3* hotel ... and is no better than a 3* hotel. The rooms are fine - a little on the small side, you walk into the room and BAM, there's your bed. Had a bit of an issue with the wardrobe door not closing, especially with it being such a small room - you need all the spare space :) The other downside was that the hotel has no Air Con. The room had a fan but that made absolutely no difference when the outside temperature was 24/25 degrees celsius. I understand SF is not well known for being hot, but the hotel should provide the option of Air Con for the summer months even if they choose to switch the system off in the winter.

The hotel itself is in a great location and people moaning about that are crazy. We didn't have to get a cab anywhere as everything is on your doorstep pretty much!

I would definitely recommend this hotel but bear in mind this is a 3* hotel! I think some people forget that when writing their reviews and expect 5* service :)

The staff were pleasant and helpful enough too - always a plus point!

Room Tip: Try and get a room on a higher floor to miss some of the traffic noise. We were on Floor 6 and until...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
ehalliday, General Manager at Warwick San Francisco Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear ustraveller08,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences caused by the temperature during your stay. We are in the midst of planning a renovation for later in the year and will be adding air conditioning. San Francisco has a very temperate year round climate and A/C is usually not required. However, we have decided to add A/C during our renovation based on comments such as these from our guests. I was happy to see that you found our location to be “great” and our staff to be “pleasant and helpful”. Again, thank you for sharing your comments and for your patronage.

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

This is a very comfortable hotel in a great location. Just two blocks from Union Square. The decor is old San Francisco. The staff is friendly without being overbearing. The bathroom was in good working condition with beautiful marble floors.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear glennopp,

I was happy to see that you found our hotel to be comfortable and in a great location. In fact, your headline says in all. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us on Tripadvisor. I am certain that our future guests will appreciate your comments. If you future travel plans include San Francisco we hope your will consider staying with us, again. We look forward to another opportunity to welcome you back.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed at the Warwick in August while traveling for business. This was my second stay, my first was equally excellent. The hotel is in the process of renovating its rooms and I had the fortune of staying in one of the freshly renovated rooms. The room was well furnished and somewhat more modern than the hotel's other rooms (I uploaded some photos).

There is noise from Geary, but that comes with the excellent location, which is easy walking distance from the Embarcadero and Financial District. The staff are very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Hal C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We are in the process of completing two model rooms for our upcoming renovation at the end of the year. I was happy to see that you enjoyed what we have done so far. I, also, appreciate that you found our staff to be very friendly and accommodating. We are very proud of our employees and lucky to have a great group of people working with us. If I can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Anoka, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

We got this room at the Warwick from priceline. If we would of paid full price I would of been really upset. We were there four nights. And they did refund one night stay. I would never stay there again. The only thing I could say is the lobby is nice, the hallways are nice and they had one gentleman that was helpful. Let start with the room. It really made it that we didn't want to spend any time in it. The blind were dirty and very outdated and torn. The shower curtain was old disgusting. Ceiling in the bathroom had bad patch work. The carpet old and stain. Thick dust behind the TV stand. This place and especially the bathroom looked like a bad motel 6 room. I haven't stayed in those I'm a long time, but it was like I had a flash back. There are to many other places in the city to stay at, I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013
ehalliday, General Manager at Warwick San Francisco Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Mdsanoka,

We appreciate that you would take the time to share your feedback with us. I was disappointed to learn of the issues you experienced with regards to the cleanliness of your room. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences. We will make every effort to improve and to re-double our efforts in housekeeping. Though we enjoy hearing the positives, it is often those comments of a more direct nature that help us to improve. If I can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you, again, for your honest and candid feedback and for your patronage.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our travel agent in Australia recommended this hotel and after reading some of the reviews we were unsure on why, however once we checked in it became apparent why she had suggested this establishment. The check in staff were fantastic and during our stay they assisted us in planning how best to get around, places to eat and things to do, which as first time visitors to San Francisco meant we maximised our time on the ground. Although the Warick is definitely different to any hotel we have stayed at previously it’s old world charm added to the enjoyment of our stay.
Getting to the hotel from the airport was easy even with limited knowledge of the public transport system, we jumped on the BART got off at Powell street and it was only a few blocks walk.
If you are looking for a comfortable hotel that has a welcoming fell to it then it would be hard to go past the Warick, if you want new and modern then go to a chain.
Thank you Warick Regis for helping make our stay truly enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Warwick San Francisco Hotel? Share your experiences!