“Cozy boutique hotel in great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Warwick San Francisco Hotel

Save Saved
You added Warwick San Francisco Hotel to your Saves list
Warwick San Francisco Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   490 Geary Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Formerly The Warwick Regis)   |
Special Price
10% Off and Free Wi-Fi
Ranked #89 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
California
“Cozy boutique hotel in great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

This is a very comfortable hotel in a great location. Just two blocks from Union Square. The decor is old San Francisco. The staff is friendly without being overbearing. The bathroom was in good working condition with beautiful marble floors.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
ehalliday, General Manager at Warwick San Francisco Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear glennopp,

I was happy to see that you found our hotel to be comfortable and in a great location. In fact, your headline says in all. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us on Tripadvisor. I am certain that our future guests will appreciate your comments. If you future travel plans include San Francisco we hope your will consider staying with us, again. We look forward to another opportunity to welcome you back.

583 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed at the Warwick in August while traveling for business. This was my second stay, my first was equally excellent. The hotel is in the process of renovating its rooms and I had the fortune of staying in one of the freshly renovated rooms. The room was well furnished and somewhat more modern than the hotel's other rooms (I uploaded some photos).

There is noise from Geary, but that comes with the excellent location, which is easy walking distance from the Embarcadero and Financial District. The staff are very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Hal C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We are in the process of completing two model rooms for our upcoming renovation at the end of the year. I was happy to see that you enjoyed what we have done so far. I, also, appreciate that you found our staff to be very friendly and accommodating. We are very proud of our employees and lucky to have a great group of people working with us. If I can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Anoka, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

We got this room at the Warwick from priceline. If we would of paid full price I would of been really upset. We were there four nights. And they did refund one night stay. I would never stay there again. The only thing I could say is the lobby is nice, the hallways are nice and they had one gentleman that was helpful. Let start with the room. It really made it that we didn't want to spend any time in it. The blind were dirty and very outdated and torn. The shower curtain was old disgusting. Ceiling in the bathroom had bad patch work. The carpet old and stain. Thick dust behind the TV stand. This place and especially the bathroom looked like a bad motel 6 room. I haven't stayed in those I'm a long time, but it was like I had a flash back. There are to many other places in the city to stay at, I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013
ehalliday, General Manager at Warwick San Francisco Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Mdsanoka,

We appreciate that you would take the time to share your feedback with us. I was disappointed to learn of the issues you experienced with regards to the cleanliness of your room. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences. We will make every effort to improve and to re-double our efforts in housekeeping. Though we enjoy hearing the positives, it is often those comments of a more direct nature that help us to improve. If I can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you, again, for your honest and candid feedback and for your patronage.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our travel agent in Australia recommended this hotel and after reading some of the reviews we were unsure on why, however once we checked in it became apparent why she had suggested this establishment. The check in staff were fantastic and during our stay they assisted us in planning how best to get around, places to eat and things to do, which as first time visitors to San Francisco meant we maximised our time on the ground. Although the Warick is definitely different to any hotel we have stayed at previously it’s old world charm added to the enjoyment of our stay.
Getting to the hotel from the airport was easy even with limited knowledge of the public transport system, we jumped on the BART got off at Powell street and it was only a few blocks walk.
If you are looking for a comfortable hotel that has a welcoming fell to it then it would be hard to go past the Warick, if you want new and modern then go to a chain.
Thank you Warick Regis for helping make our stay truly enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had the parking package, which was seamless on arrival and checkout. The front desk was friendly and helpful. Our room - the twin beds - was adorable. While a little dated, it was spotless. Once I realized how clean the entire room was, I actually loved the vintage decor right down to the drapery around the beds. The rooms are a little dark, but cozy and comfortable. For me the most important part of a hotel is its cleanliness and I've stayed in hotels that were more modern and higher star-rated than the Warwick but not nearly as clean.
The only downside about staying here was the immediate neighbourhood outside the hotel was a bit depressing and rundown, but by walking only a few short blocks, you're able to be in a better part of the city. It was safe enough, so I didn't mind the atmosphere at all. I've heard some people complain about street noise, but that didn't bother us at all. I mean, it's a downtown location, so you know...it's not going to be country quiet!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear NorthTDot,

"Surprisingly Great", what a nice title, thank you for such a wonderful review. We were very happy to see that you found our rooms to be adorable, spotless and clean. Coming from a Contributor with 42 reviews that means a great deal (It can be a real challenge keeping up with a 100 year-old building). Our Housekeeping staff takes pride in providing a comfortable environment in a classic setting. Also, thank you for pointing out our excellent location and helpful staff. If I can ever be of assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly. We look forward to another opportunity to welcome you back to Warwick San Francisco Hotel.

Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed in a deluxe queen on the side of the hotel. I would definitely recommend getting as far away from the very noisy Geary as possible. We needed the windows open because of the heat but there was so much noise - horns, partiers, homeless people- that we had to close them and rely on the fan. The noise would be no better in any of the hotels in this popular area near union square. There is no AC. The room was very small, only big enough for one bedside table, but it was clean and well furnished.
Staff were excellent and friendly.
We only ate breakfast at the hotel but the food was good and the service, excellent. Overall a good value for central San Francisco.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear colin f

We appreciate that you would take the time to write a review of your stay. I was disappointed to learn that you had some issues with the noise. You are correct in pointing out that we are in the heart of San Francisco, but hope the noise was not too much an inconvenience. We are planning a renovation for the end of the year and will be adding air conditioning. Hopefully, this will have an impact on the noise, as well, as the windows could remain closed on warmer days. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences. I was happy to see that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. Thank you, again, for your comments and your patronage. We hope to see you on your next visit to San Francisco.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here in August 2013 when it was surprisingly cold. The staff on the main desk were really helpful as soon as we arrived and during our stay. The hotel is characterful and old; everything worked. The location is excellent within San Francisco - v close to Union square. There is a good diner across the road and lots of restaurants. Cable car stop is a few blocks away. The beds were very comfortable and the room was a decent size for a family of four. Overall we were very happy staying here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear UKFamily2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We were happy to see that you enjoyed our character, style and charm. Also, thank you for pointing out our great location and helpful staff. It was great to see that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you, again, in the future.

Eric Halliday

Been to Warwick San Francisco Hotel? Share your experiences!