“poor value” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Warwick San Francisco Hotel

Save Saved
You added Warwick San Francisco Hotel to your Saves list
Warwick San Francisco Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   490 Geary Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Formerly The Warwick Regis)   |
Special Price
10% Off and Free Wi-Fi
Ranked #89 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Rochester, Minnesota
“poor value”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

very overpriced hotel with terrible conference facilities. Temperature of the conference room was frigid and despite multiple requests to have it fixed it remained cold.
The rooms were decorated in beautiful vintage furniture but they were not clean.
Lobby very inadequate for a hotel of this price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ehalliday, General Manager at Warwick San Francisco Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear steven a,

We appreciate that you would take the time to share your thoughts with us. Though our lobby is not “huge”, many of our guests prefer the more intimate experience versus a larger lobby typical in a much bigger hotel. I am very familiar with the conference you attended and it was cold during that particular time. I do apologize for the temperature issues experienced during your conference. Our staff was advised of a problem with the heat and corrected as quickly as possible. We typically receive very positive feedback on our conference facilities and it was disappointing to learn this was not your experience. Again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments and feedback.

583 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Pleasanton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had a very nice time staying at the Warwick. The staff was extremely polite and helpful with information about San Francisco. The rooms are well decorated, comfortable and very charming. The location is excellent. Walking distance to just about everything you want to do an need in San Francisco. I highly recommend the Warwick and would definitely stay with them again. We are already planning our next trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear katcipp,

Thank you so much for the kind words. I was very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and are planning to return. Though you mentioned our location and nice rooms, I was most appreciative of the comments regarding our staff. We are lucky to have such caring and professional people working with us. We look forward to seeing you, again, in the future.

Walla Walla, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The Warwick San Francisco has always exceeded my expectations. Because I travel for work it is important to stay in a safe, conveniently located, service oriented, welcoming property and that has been my experience for the past five years. The staff is exceptional and the cuisine delicious. Truly, my second home.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Lynn L,

It's always great to hear from Walla Walla (and it is fun to say, too). We are delighted to be thought of as a “second home”. Traveling for work can be trying at times and we are happy to be part of a positive experience that makes the trip more a successful and enjoyable. We take pride in providing excellent hospitality in the heart of San Francisco. We look forward to seeing you, again, in the future.

Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed with our 2 small kids (11 months & 3 yrs) in a petite suite. The room was great as we could divide off where kids slept and the extra space of separate room was very useful to store luggage, strollers etc. Although there is no microwave in room staff were always willing to heat baby bottles. The only downside of the suite was that there are about ten steps down to get to it so with a stroller it's a bit awkward. However this is not a deal breaker. The rooms are super clean and very comfortable. Location is excellent - 5 mins walk to union square. There is Starbucks beside hotel for breakfasts/ coffee and there is free wifi there- the hotel wifi is very expensive. There is also a few good diners across road for easy quick food. There's also a walgreens (pharmacy/general store) beside which is very useful. The hotel itself doesn't have loads of facilities but its very nice and I would stay again.

• Stayed December 2012
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Older smaller hotel with lot of character . The rooms are small by us standards but very comfortable. Location is great. Close to Bart, muni, street cars . The price is very reasonable for a hotel next to union sq.

• Stayed December 2012
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I had a lovely three-night stay (from Dec. 11-14, 2012) at the Warwick hotel and would happily stay there upon any revisiting of the city. It's a great location--everything is in walking distance. It's not particularly far from the Tenderloin, but nothing untoward spills over from that particular district and it's far enough away that it would take some actual intent to end up there.

The front desk staff are wonderful. I spoke to approximately five different individuals and they were all helpful, knowledgable, considerate, and upbeat. They pointed us to a cheap car rental place, gave me walking and bus directions from the hotel to where ever I wanted to go, looked into theater tickets for us, and let us keep our bags (safe) at the hotel after we'd checked out but before we could go to our next stop. Housekeeping was great, too. I had some trouble regulating the temperature in my room the first night and finally gave up and just asked them to bring up a few blankets, which arrived in mere minutes after my call.

The rooms--there were three deluxe queen rooms between the five of us--were all clean. No bedbugs, no excessive dirt. I felt comfortable walking around barefoot in the room, which I don't even do at home particularly often. The bathtubs were clean, as were the toilets, the sinks, the bureau, and the windowsill. The water pressure/temperature in the bathtub was good, but the sink let out a screeching noise if the hot water was turned on higher than a trickle. The pillows are like CLOUDS, and the beds were perfectly comfortable. There was plenty of room for our enormous bags (the friend I shared a room with was going to be in town for two weeks and had an appropriate amount of stuff with him).

I heard a bit of noise at night, but not enough to keep me awake (and I'm one of those people that can't get to sleep if it's not silent). We were on the top floor, though, in room 711. Our friends downstairs in room 311 had an enormous window that took up almost the entire wall and let in quite a bit more natural light than we got, but they didn't complain of noise, either.

The hotel is a bit dated in a classy sort of way. It was charming, though I did notice that the carpets are worn and one of the corners on the ceiling in our room was peeling paint. All in all, though, the Warwick hotel was a PERFECT FIND. Upon arrival I didn't even mind that breakfast wasn't included--there's a Starbucks halfway down the block and a SUPERB 24 hour diner at the corner of Geary and Mason just down the street. Our stay came down to $40 per person, per night, but I would have happily paid for a full room on my own. So, so worth it. I originally booked my stay at the Warwick because the price was reasonable and it's not listed on the online bedbug registry, but I had such a perfect stay there. Everything was lovely and I am SO glad I stayed at the Warwick hotel.

Room Tip: Room 311 has an ENORMOUS window that takes up nearly an entire wall. Don't use the stairs to go...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Langley City, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The hotel boasts about the Louis IV decor however they forgot to mention that the rooms have not been renovated since Louise IV himself stayed there. Very, very, very old furniture (well not the wood antiques...they are timeless) but the bedspread, couches and fabric chairs were so old and worn that the bedspread was thread bare and had holes, Yup true, for $200 plus a night we got bedding that was stolen from the homeless guy outside. The most shocking thing about the first room (we were moved and it was only marginally better) was how disgustingly dirty it was. Gunge around the sink and toilet. Dusk and grim on the coffee table and night tables and mould in the 1962 bar fridge. The room was just musty and old. No matter if I'm in a $70 night hotel or $200 a night hotel they have all been clean. That's why I think I found this so appalling. I was excited when we were being moved thinking this was just a one off room, but no, no exact same bedspread and decor in the "suite" they moved us to. Sorry Warwick, the staff was awesome (all of them), location is fab and the lobby has a quaint old feel charm about it but really it's time to update. ps I usually stay at the Donatello (this was my sixth trip in 2 years) and it is amazing. Every room has been renovated with to die for beds, european kitchens and huge rooms for pretty much the same price as the Warwick, and only 1 block up from the Warwick.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ehalliday, General Manager at Warwick San Francisco Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear PATTY R,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I was disappointed to learn that our hotel did not meet your expectations. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences. Though, we are in the beginning stages of planning a renovation for later in 2013, we will continue to make every effort to improve on our maintenance and cleanliness. Thank you for pointing out our awesome staff and great location. We have a wonderful staff and are very proud of all their efforts.

Eric Halliday

Been to Warwick San Francisco Hotel? Share your experiences!