“Suites excellent value and great for families- super clean rooms and prefect location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Warwick San Francisco Hotel

Save Saved
You added Warwick San Francisco Hotel to your Saves list
Warwick San Francisco Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   490 Geary Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Formerly The Warwick Regis)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #89 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed with our 2 small kids (11 months & 3 yrs) in a petite suite. The room was great as we could divide off where kids slept and the extra space of separate room was very useful to store luggage, strollers etc. Although there is no microwave in room staff were always willing to heat baby bottles. The only downside of the suite was that there are about ten steps down to get to it so with a stroller it's a bit awkward. However this is not a deal breaker. The rooms are super clean and very comfortable. Location is excellent - 5 mins walk to union square. There is Starbucks beside hotel for breakfasts/ coffee and there is free wifi there- the hotel wifi is very expensive. There is also a few good diners across road for easy quick food. There's also a walgreens (pharmacy/general store) beside which is very useful. The hotel itself doesn't have loads of facilities but its very nice and I would stay again.

• Stayed December 2012

584 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Older smaller hotel with lot of character . The rooms are small by us standards but very comfortable. Location is great. Close to Bart, muni, street cars . The price is very reasonable for a hotel next to union sq.

• Stayed December 2012
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I had a lovely three-night stay (from Dec. 11-14, 2012) at the Warwick hotel and would happily stay there upon any revisiting of the city. It's a great location--everything is in walking distance. It's not particularly far from the Tenderloin, but nothing untoward spills over from that particular district and it's far enough away that it would take some actual intent to end up there.

The front desk staff are wonderful. I spoke to approximately five different individuals and they were all helpful, knowledgable, considerate, and upbeat. They pointed us to a cheap car rental place, gave me walking and bus directions from the hotel to where ever I wanted to go, looked into theater tickets for us, and let us keep our bags (safe) at the hotel after we'd checked out but before we could go to our next stop. Housekeeping was great, too. I had some trouble regulating the temperature in my room the first night and finally gave up and just asked them to bring up a few blankets, which arrived in mere minutes after my call.

The rooms--there were three deluxe queen rooms between the five of us--were all clean. No bedbugs, no excessive dirt. I felt comfortable walking around barefoot in the room, which I don't even do at home particularly often. The bathtubs were clean, as were the toilets, the sinks, the bureau, and the windowsill. The water pressure/temperature in the bathtub was good, but the sink let out a screeching noise if the hot water was turned on higher than a trickle. The pillows are like CLOUDS, and the beds were perfectly comfortable. There was plenty of room for our enormous bags (the friend I shared a room with was going to be in town for two weeks and had an appropriate amount of stuff with him).

I heard a bit of noise at night, but not enough to keep me awake (and I'm one of those people that can't get to sleep if it's not silent). We were on the top floor, though, in room 711. Our friends downstairs in room 311 had an enormous window that took up almost the entire wall and let in quite a bit more natural light than we got, but they didn't complain of noise, either.

The hotel is a bit dated in a classy sort of way. It was charming, though I did notice that the carpets are worn and one of the corners on the ceiling in our room was peeling paint. All in all, though, the Warwick hotel was a PERFECT FIND. Upon arrival I didn't even mind that breakfast wasn't included--there's a Starbucks halfway down the block and a SUPERB 24 hour diner at the corner of Geary and Mason just down the street. Our stay came down to $40 per person, per night, but I would have happily paid for a full room on my own. So, so worth it. I originally booked my stay at the Warwick because the price was reasonable and it's not listed on the online bedbug registry, but I had such a perfect stay there. Everything was lovely and I am SO glad I stayed at the Warwick hotel.

Room Tip: Room 311 has an ENORMOUS window that takes up nearly an entire wall. Don't use the stairs to go...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Langley City, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The hotel boasts about the Louis IV decor however they forgot to mention that the rooms have not been renovated since Louise IV himself stayed there. Very, very, very old furniture (well not the wood antiques...they are timeless) but the bedspread, couches and fabric chairs were so old and worn that the bedspread was thread bare and had holes, Yup true, for $200 plus a night we got bedding that was stolen from the homeless guy outside. The most shocking thing about the first room (we were moved and it was only marginally better) was how disgustingly dirty it was. Gunge around the sink and toilet. Dusk and grim on the coffee table and night tables and mould in the 1962 bar fridge. The room was just musty and old. No matter if I'm in a $70 night hotel or $200 a night hotel they have all been clean. That's why I think I found this so appalling. I was excited when we were being moved thinking this was just a one off room, but no, no exact same bedspread and decor in the "suite" they moved us to. Sorry Warwick, the staff was awesome (all of them), location is fab and the lobby has a quaint old feel charm about it but really it's time to update. ps I usually stay at the Donatello (this was my sixth trip in 2 years) and it is amazing. Every room has been renovated with to die for beds, european kitchens and huge rooms for pretty much the same price as the Warwick, and only 1 block up from the Warwick.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ehalliday, General Manager at Warwick San Francisco Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear PATTY R,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I was disappointed to learn that our hotel did not meet your expectations. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences. Though, we are in the beginning stages of planning a renovation for later in 2013, we will continue to make every effort to improve on our maintenance and cleanliness. Thank you for pointing out our awesome staff and great location. We have a wonderful staff and are very proud of all their efforts.

Regards,

Eric Halliday
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a great smaller hotel in San Francisco that I like to stay at instead of the big skyscraper ones. A unique style of decor brings you back to a more elegant time. There is nothing modern about this hotel so stay at another if you desire plain and simple accommodations. What I absolutely love the most about this hotel are the front rooms facing Geary St. that have balconies. I always select these rooms and love that they have a view up and down the street of great architecture of the theaters. I have not eaten in the restaurant or ordered room service as I like to go out for everything. You will find this hotel is literally a block or two from anything you want and a few more blocks from fabulous shopping. The rates on this hotel are always reasonable and I like that for being in the center of it all. The front desk staff are very professional and quite helpful for hailing a taxi.

Room Tip: Front room with balcony is the best.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Bonita, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The Warwick is two long blocks from Macy's in Union Square, but still within a walkable distance for quickly running overflowing shopping bags back to the room. I arrived very early and was not surprised to find that I could not check into the room because it was not ready. My friends were joining me later and we had rented the Junior Suite with a Queen bed and Sofa bed. I was told by the front desk that they were expediting the cleaning and it would be ready soon, but two hours later it was not ready. Then my friends arrived and we still couldn't check in so we went shopping! At three in the afternoon when we returned, we were finally given our room. It consisted of two rooms--a small sleeping chamber and a living room area (both small.) The living area did have a balcony and sliding glass doors to access the balcony. The bedroom was cute with a semi-canopy over the bed. We eventually pulled out the sofa bed and realized quickly that there was no way an adult could sleep on the sofabed without suffering. We pulled all the cushions from the sofa and stuffed them under the mattress to make it tolerable but even then it was fairly hard and you could feel the metal springs of the thin sofa bed mattress. We have stayed at Villa Florence and used their sofa bed and it was quite comfortable so it is possible to rent a room with a sofa bed and get a good night's rest. The bathroom was small, but the shower pressure was fantastic. However, there was dirt in the corners of the bathroom that hadn't been cleaned for awhile. The carpet in the room needed cleaning and we all complained of how dim the light was in the room making it difficult to see (they need to up the wattage in at least the overhead light.) At night the noise was so loud that we had to buy earplugs (which most hotels have for free) in order to sleep. The bar had happy hour on well drinks, beer and wine...not a great happy hour for cocktail drinkers--would be nice to have a few cocktails on happy hour. I ordered a Bailey's and coffee and when the drink was brought to the table asked if I wanted whipped cream. I said yes, so the bartender put the drink up on the bar. I assumed he was going to go around the bar and put the cream into it. Instead he ended up in a conversation with someone from the hotel and my drink sat for several minutes getting cold. I had to pick the drink up and take it over to another waitress. She got the bartender's attention. He put the whipped cream on but it was dead cold when I got it. By then my friends were almost done with their drinks so I drank it. Why did I give the hotel three stars instead of two if all these things were wrong? The staff was very nice and helpful when we asked for additional items like towels, wine glasses, etc. but the maid didn't clear the dirty glasses while we were out the following day. The staff gave us a late checkout and the location was good. If the hotel had been a little cleaner and the sofa bed tolerable, I would have rated the hotel higher.

Room Tip: Do not rely on the sofabed for sleeping unless it's for very small children. Get a room away fr...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
ehalliday, General Manager at Warwick San Francisco Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear KBrogan,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We appreciate your honest and candid remarks. We had always made earplugs available to our guests in the past and we will be certain to correct this for the future. We are in the planning stages of a renovation for next year and have talked extensively about the need to have high quality sofa beds. In the mean time we will continue to work to improve on the housekeeping issues. We, also, appreciate the positive comments regarding our staff and location. Thank you for your patronage and comments.

Regards,

Eric Halliday
Redding, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I had a pleasant stay. My expectations weren't high, so this hotel did not disappoint me. Comfortable accommodations, central location, average size rooms. Continental breakfast was mediocre, a few little items and a cup of coffee. I stayed on the second floor, and it was very easy to get in and out of the room and hotel doors and explore the city. I have no complaints.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Warwick San Francisco Hotel? Share your experiences!