“Very old outdated and dirty rooms” 2 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Warwick San Francisco Hotel to your Saves list
Warwickhotels.com Expedia.com
Warwick San Francisco Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   490 Geary Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Formerly The Warwick Regis)   |
Special Price
10% Off and Free WIFI
Ranked #85 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Langley City, Canada
“Very old outdated and dirty rooms”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The hotel boasts about the Louis IV decor however they forgot to mention that the rooms have not been renovated since Louise IV himself stayed there. Very, very, very old furniture (well not the wood antiques...they are timeless) but the bedspread, couches and fabric chairs were so old and worn that the bedspread was thread bare and had holes, Yup true, for $200 plus a night we got bedding that was stolen from the homeless guy outside. The most shocking thing about the first room (we were moved and it was only marginally better) was how disgustingly dirty it was. Gunge around the sink and toilet. Dusk and grim on the coffee table and night tables and mould in the 1962 bar fridge. The room was just musty and old. No matter if I'm in a $70 night hotel or $200 a night hotel they have all been clean. That's why I think I found this so appalling. I was excited when we were being moved thinking this was just a one off room, but no, no exact same bedspread and decor in the "suite" they moved us to. Sorry Warwick, the staff was awesome (all of them), location is fab and the lobby has a quaint old feel charm about it but really it's time to update. ps I usually stay at the Donatello (this was my sixth trip in 2 years) and it is amazing. Every room has been renovated with to die for beds, european kitchens and huge rooms for pretty much the same price as the Warwick, and only 1 block up from the Warwick.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ehalliday, General Manager at Warwick San Francisco Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear PATTY R,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I was disappointed to learn that our hotel did not meet your expectations. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences. Though, we are in the beginning stages of planning a renovation for later in 2013, we will continue to make every effort to improve on our maintenance and cleanliness. Thank you for pointing out our awesome staff and great location. We have a wonderful staff and are very proud of all their efforts.

566 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a great smaller hotel in San Francisco that I like to stay at instead of the big skyscraper ones. A unique style of decor brings you back to a more elegant time. There is nothing modern about this hotel so stay at another if you desire plain and simple accommodations. What I absolutely love the most about this hotel are the front rooms facing Geary St. that have balconies. I always select these rooms and love that they have a view up and down the street of great architecture of the theaters. I have not eaten in the restaurant or ordered room service as I like to go out for everything. You will find this hotel is literally a block or two from anything you want and a few more blocks from fabulous shopping. The rates on this hotel are always reasonable and I like that for being in the center of it all. The front desk staff are very professional and quite helpful for hailing a taxi.

Room Tip: Front room with balcony is the best.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Bonita, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The Warwick is two long blocks from Macy's in Union Square, but still within a walkable distance for quickly running overflowing shopping bags back to the room. I arrived very early and was not surprised to find that I could not check into the room because it was not ready. My friends were joining me later and we had rented the Junior Suite with a Queen bed and Sofa bed. I was told by the front desk that they were expediting the cleaning and it would be ready soon, but two hours later it was not ready. Then my friends arrived and we still couldn't check in so we went shopping! At three in the afternoon when we returned, we were finally given our room. It consisted of two rooms--a small sleeping chamber and a living room area (both small.) The living area did have a balcony and sliding glass doors to access the balcony. The bedroom was cute with a semi-canopy over the bed. We eventually pulled out the sofa bed and realized quickly that there was no way an adult could sleep on the sofabed without suffering. We pulled all the cushions from the sofa and stuffed them under the mattress to make it tolerable but even then it was fairly hard and you could feel the metal springs of the thin sofa bed mattress. We have stayed at Villa Florence and used their sofa bed and it was quite comfortable so it is possible to rent a room with a sofa bed and get a good night's rest. The bathroom was small, but the shower pressure was fantastic. However, there was dirt in the corners of the bathroom that hadn't been cleaned for awhile. The carpet in the room needed cleaning and we all complained of how dim the light was in the room making it difficult to see (they need to up the wattage in at least the overhead light.) At night the noise was so loud that we had to buy earplugs (which most hotels have for free) in order to sleep. The bar had happy hour on well drinks, beer and wine...not a great happy hour for cocktail drinkers--would be nice to have a few cocktails on happy hour. I ordered a Bailey's and coffee and when the drink was brought to the table asked if I wanted whipped cream. I said yes, so the bartender put the drink up on the bar. I assumed he was going to go around the bar and put the cream into it. Instead he ended up in a conversation with someone from the hotel and my drink sat for several minutes getting cold. I had to pick the drink up and take it over to another waitress. She got the bartender's attention. He put the whipped cream on but it was dead cold when I got it. By then my friends were almost done with their drinks so I drank it. Why did I give the hotel three stars instead of two if all these things were wrong? The staff was very nice and helpful when we asked for additional items like towels, wine glasses, etc. but the maid didn't clear the dirty glasses while we were out the following day. The staff gave us a late checkout and the location was good. If the hotel had been a little cleaner and the sofa bed tolerable, I would have rated the hotel higher.

Room Tip: Do not rely on the sofabed for sleeping unless it's for very small children. Get a room away fr...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
ehalliday, General Manager at Warwick San Francisco Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear KBrogan,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We appreciate your honest and candid remarks. We had always made earplugs available to our guests in the past and we will be certain to correct this for the future. We are in the planning stages of a renovation for next year and have talked extensively about the need to have high quality sofa beds. In the mean time we will continue to work to improve on the housekeeping issues. We, also, appreciate the positive comments regarding our staff and location. Thank you for your patronage and comments.

Redding, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I had a pleasant stay. My expectations weren't high, so this hotel did not disappoint me. Comfortable accommodations, central location, average size rooms. Continental breakfast was mediocre, a few little items and a cup of coffee. I stayed on the second floor, and it was very easy to get in and out of the room and hotel doors and explore the city. I have no complaints.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Tacoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I had a wonderful suite that separated into two rooms with TWO bathrooms. The location was in the heart of the Union Square dist. The staff was extremely helpful and always cheerful. I felt like they truly cared about my comforts. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Pa’Mela G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I was happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and would be willing to return. We appreciate your comments regarding our staff and location; it is always nice to hear. We look forward to your next visit to San Francisco and Warwick San Francisco Hotel.

South Lake Tahoe, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My heart sank as I realized I had left my address book with all my personel info, credit cards and PWs in our room at the Warwick. I called and was relived to hear they had found it right were I left it. Vickie the excecutive houskeeper went directly to the Post office and mailed it. I recieved it 2 days later intact. I want to commend Vickie for making me a priority in her busy day. The room was clean, friendly staff, great location. Good value for service and location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Alan788,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful example of customer service. I was very happy to see that Vicky was able to get your address book back to you in short order. We are lucky to have her leading our housekeeping department. She truly goes above and beyond each day to make our guests stay comfortable and enjoyable. Thank you, again, for recognizing Vicky’s efforts.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I had found the hotel online (we've had good luck with the one in NYC) and I booked directly with the hotel getting an extremely good Senior rate. I also asked for a quiet room. When we checked it, the room was more than a little tired-really needed some TLC, and was overlooking Geary. Many thanks to Sean, the manager, and especially Nestor on the desk at the time for moving us to an absolutely gorgeous room. When you book, ask for 803! All the staff were not just pleasant, but charming and you are a few steps from Union Square. It was a combination business/pleasure trip and we will definitely be back to the Warwick as opposed to other SF places we've stayed.

Room Tip: You have the option of a reduced fee for a nearby fitness center. Also not all the rooms have AC, so...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Warwick San Francisco Hotel? Share your experiences!