“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #90 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
Auckland
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Fabulous apartment style hotel in the heart of San Francisco. Our one bedroom apartment was spacious, clean and had a fully functional kitchen. Supermarket two doors away for any additional items you need and plenty of restaurants and cafes within walking distance (check out Polk St, packed with great bars & restaurants).

Union St is five mins walk away but if you are keen to explore beyond the usual tourist areas then Russian Hill & Nob Hill are a manageable walk (the hills are great for the legs:) ).

Lovely, helpful staff are on hand but never intrusive. We'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
Dimitar S, Manager at Steinhart, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear msrelaxation ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I am glad to hear that your stay was enjoyable and look forward to welcome you back at The Steinhart in near future.

Best,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Lower Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was a little unexpected to us - it was an appartment hotel so it lacks most of the usual hotel services. But it didn't matter. The front desk staff were AMAZING. They went well beyond our expectations in every way possible. The rooms were clean and had everything you needed to take care of yourself. Our room was a little dark but it didn't matter - the location and service definitely made up for it. Joe's coffee up the street is great, and Union Square is a 10-15 minute walk a few blocks away. Lots of bars and food shops serving great food are right next door. I would absolutely stay here again and again. Only downside: if you go too many blocks down the road you end up in the tenderloin which has a large number of homeless people in it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed at the Steinhart for 8 days, and loved it., me my mom and my husband. We had a one bed room apartment, which was spacious. The building was well maintained, (beautiful hard wood, very wekk kept up).We had a queen bed and murpphy bed. It was nice to have a full size kitchen, which had everything from dishes, cups, knives, toaster, cofee pot, and a dish washer. There was a grocery store a 1/2 block away, and the area had tons of cofee shops, restaturants, all within walking distance. My only complaint was that the apartment we stayed in was in the front of the building, and late at night, it could be very loud. But overall, we loved it, and would defientely come back again :)

Room Tip: I would recommend a room, away from the main street. Late at night, it can become extrememly loud.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Comfortable and spacious, loved staying in a studio at the Steinhart. Our studio had a murphy bed in the living room which was very comfortable. The kitchen was great to have and with Trader Joe's a block and 1/2 from the property, we picked up supplies so we could eat a few breakfasts and lunches in the room on our week stay in SF. Loved having a small office off the living room where the door closed. Great for my daughter who stayed up late on the net and me who got up early... used the net and drank coffee which I made in the coffeemaker supplied in the unit. The desk staff was VERY helpful, made copies for us, helped with finding the best bus stops to access very parts of the city. Would definitely stay here again and would recommend to others. The one negative was that the hotel was a block and 1/2 from a hospital, so we heard frequent sirens in the night. Luckily, I brought my earplugs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dimitar S, Manager at Steinhart, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear gfreeswisco,

Thank you for your positive comments about the hotel and the front desk staff. I am so sorry to hear about the noise issue you have experienced during your stay. You may be pleased to know that earplugs are available at the front desk upon request.

Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I absolutely loved the location of Steinhart! It was in a quiet neighborhood, but just a few blocks away from Union Square and all the wonderful shopping there. The neighborhood that the hotel is in is pretty safe and the hotel does have a very secure front door. If you have a vehicle, there's a bunch of parking garages located within a few blocks from the hotel. Public transportation stops were also within walking distance. It's also next to a lot of AMAZING little restaurants and cafes!

The hotel itself is charming building, intended for extended stays. My friend and I stayed in a one bedroom suite with a murphy bed and a basic kitchenette, which was perfect for our one week stay. The front desk was very helpful when we had questions. The room was very spacious and quiet. I would definitely stay here again if I find myself in San Francisco in the future!

Room Tip: One bedroom suite is perfect for two people, if you don't mind either sharing the bed or having...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dimitar S, Manager at Steinhart, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Grace A,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. I am glad to hear that your stay at the Steinhart was enjoyable. We look forward to welcome you back in near future.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Steinhart was our first stop on our California trip. We were a bunch of friends travelling around, and Steinhart was a perfect first stop. The front-desk was extremely helpful, and pointed us to lots of useful surrounding restaurants. The rooms were very clean, and thankfully, large! We loved the charming facade. For its price, I feel like Strinhart gives tremendous value.

Small downside is the street noise outside, but all in all, highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dimitar S, Manager at Steinhart, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for posting a review about yuor recent stay with us on trip advisor. I am glad to hear that your stay was enjoyable. I am so sorry about the noise issue, we do have a number of interior rooms that are quiet, I strongly recommend those rooms to guests that are sensitive to urban noise.
I would like to thank you again for your positive feedback and hope to welcome you back in near future.

Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Ideal for long term stays, Steinhart gives you a home away from home, where comfort and cosiness meet luxury and style.

We checked into an extremely spacious one bedroom apartment, and were welcomed by a bottle of red wine and some gourmet popcorn - nice touch!

The apartment is in a perfect location in the heart of San Francisco (just a few blocks away from Nob Hill and Union Square), nearby plenty shops and restaurants.

I loved the mix of vintage elements with modern facilities - the place is very elegant, and perfectly functional too.

A great mix of style and homey feel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dimitar S, Manager at Steinhart, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Zararock,

Thank you for a wonderful review. Your kind words and appreciation for our efforts will be shared with all of our associates. It would be an honor and my distinct pleasure to welcome you again during your next visit to San Francisco.

Hotel Manager

Been to Steinhart? Share your experiences!