“Great place - spacious, comfortable and elegant!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   952 Sutter Street, San Francisco, CA 94109   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #89 of 237 Hotels in San Francisco
Lisbon, Portugal
“Great place - spacious, comfortable and elegant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Ideal for long term stays, Steinhart gives you a home away from home, where comfort and cosiness meet luxury and style.

We checked into an extremely spacious one bedroom apartment, and were welcomed by a bottle of red wine and some gourmet popcorn - nice touch!

The apartment is in a perfect location in the heart of San Francisco (just a few blocks away from Nob Hill and Union Square), nearby plenty shops and restaurants.

I loved the mix of vintage elements with modern facilities - the place is very elegant, and perfectly functional too.

A great mix of style and homey feel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dimitar S, Manager at Steinhart, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Zararock,

Thank you for a wonderful review. Your kind words and appreciation for our efforts will be shared with all of our associates. It would be an honor and my distinct pleasure to welcome you again during your next visit to San Francisco.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Steinhart is located in a quiet neighborhood but easily accessible to the tourist area. There are stores nearby where you can get groceries, sandwiches and pancakes. Our family of 4 adults and 2 small kids slept soundly during our 6 day stay (room was on the 4/F facing Sutter St.) We might have been just lucky as we hardly heard any noise from next door neighbors. The hotel personnel at the front office should be commended for being accomodating and helpful. The 1 bedroom unit was very spacious - bedroom, living room, dining room and kitchen! Plates, cutlery, cookware, microwave, 4 burner stove and oven, dishwasher - all the conveniences of home and free wi-fi too. Tip: Buy the SF Muni passport to get unlimited rides on cable cars, trains and buses.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We have just come back from staying at the Steinart for 2 weeks. Our room 603 was great - quiet - many thanks for Arif & Dimitar for looking after our request. Nicole on the front desk is an absolute treasure. Our room had everything we needed plus laundry facilities downstairs. Loved the fact the windows open. Separate bedroom, lounge & kitchen made it feel like a home away from home. Weekly housekeeping was no problem. Hotel is beautiful & the lift from a bygone era. We would highly recommend the Steinhart & would definitely stay there again.
Thanks again to Nicole, Arif & Dimitar
Stuart & Janine (Brisbane, Australia)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dimitar S, Manager at Steinhart, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Stuart and Janine,

Thank you for taking the time to share your nice compliments about our staff and hotel!
Everyone here truly loves to make our guests feel welcome and well cared for, and I want you to know that I will be sure to share your feedback with everyone on the team.
We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
With kindest regards,

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stayed at the Steinhart for a week on my own while I explored San Francisco. It is a really nice boutique hotel in a handy location and was a pleasure to come back to at the end of each exhausting day. I used the cable cars, street cars and buses alot and it was always easy to get back to the hotel at the end of the day. I had a basic kitchenette in my room and I got groceries from Trader Jacks which was a market only a few blocks away. So I ate in my room most nights because I didn't feel very safe being on my own at night. The bed was comfy and the reception staff were very helpful and polite. I arrived in the city from the Airport on the BART and trekked up to the Steinhart with my luggage from the Civic Centre train station. This was a rookie error on my part and I would recommend that anyone arriving the same way gets off the train one stop further at Market St and walks from there. I had an eye opening walk up Leavenworth St that I wouldn't recommend!

Room Tip: I think the best rooms would be on the top floor (6). I was on the top floor and although still awok...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dimitar S, Manager at Steinhart, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear K0neW0ne,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. As you have mentioned the Civic Center BART station is not located in the nicest area of the city, therefore I strongly recommend to our guests to use the Powell Station if they are planning on using the BART.

I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back at the Steinhart in near future.

Best,

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I thoroughly researched where to stay - in terms of price and pleasantness. I also wanted an apartment. I got a studio apartment (600) and was very happy. Windows I could open. A big fan in the centre. A comfortable murfee bed. Free wi-fi. Courteous, very helpful service. I could buy all I needed at a store a few doors down. Easy to get anywhere.

But .... Everything provided except food necessities, including salt and pepper, though I think I've come across that before in the US. Tiny cooking facilities - 2 rings and a microwave, and not many utensils. I did, however, enjoy wonderful tea thanks to being able to boil the water in the saucepan. Bliss.

Room Tip: My room was great
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

As others have said, the location is great. The price is good.

Some other pros & cons:
PROS
-new moderately-firm mattresses (unlike other hotels I've been in); good pillows too
-decent light-shielding from curtains (something I'm pretty sensitive to)
-street noise was not as bad as I feared (another thing I'm sensitive to); some garbage truck noise around 3am most nights... we were on 5th floor on the street side.
-most staff was quite friendly and helpful, providing extras we requested
-good barrier between bedroom & living room/2nd bdrm
-ample towels etc.
-decent Wi-Fi
-great coffee shops & other amenities nearby
-windows easily opened & closed
-free local phone calls

CONS
-kitchenette didn't really facilitate actual cooking - fine for warming things up, but few cooking implements were provided (not even a draining board)
-could not find any thermostat, even though we were told there was one.
-housekeeping is just once a week (didn't really pose a problem for us)
-shower had little ventilation, so water condensed on ceiling & would drip
-back patio was pretty small

All in all, pretty good. Great for families. I'd probably return.

Room Tip: Away from street is probably quieter & darker, but street-side wasn't a real nuisance for us...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dimitar S, Manager at Steinhart, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Verite 17,

Thank you for sharing your experience about your stay at The Steinhart on trip advisor. I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay. There is no thermostat control in the apartments, however all units have electrical heaters. In regards to the kitchen please be advised that additional cooking implements are provided upon request. I would like to thank you again for your review. I look forward to welcome you back at the Steinhart.

Fort Lau
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

This hotel dates back to 1910, a real gem for those of us who love a bygone era. That said, the rooms are up to date with wifi, full kitchen, generous closet space, very comfortable Murphy bed in the large living room, and a spacious master bedroom with a comfortable queen bed. The wood floors are really beautiful. My son is 6'4 and slept well on the Murphy bed. There is an HDTV and iPod dock in the living room. The bathroom was long and easily met the needs of the three of us. This hotel is simply charming and the staff are wonderfully enthusiastic and helpful. Need extra towels? Just ask! Need a light bulb changed? Up comes the receptionist with a ladder! The attentiveness is really quite amazing.
All that said: don't expect this apartment/hotel to be a full service establishment. Housekeeping is on Fridays, and larger repairs require an appointment. The hotel is wonderfully antique, so don't expect a/c (you won't need it.). Given that everyone's windows are opened, you can expect lots of noise and the reception desk closes after 11 pm and reopen at 9 am - no place to inquire about noises like screaming babies. The hospital is close so you will occasionally hear sirens.
Nearby: laundromat, grocer, Walgreens, sandwich shop, coffee shop. Our walk to Notre Dame church took us about 15 minutes and Chinatown is about 25 for slow walkers. Yellow cabs come within minutes to the hotel and an across town fare was only about $13.
I tried to give this 10 night stay a fair and balanced review given the myriad of other reviews here on trip advisor. If you love nostalgia, the you will love Steinhart. Just don't expect Ritz service. Remember to bring your own groceries or buy them next door. Do expect phenomenal and courteous service and immaculate rooms.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dimitar S, Manager at Steinhart, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear John M,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor. As you have mentioned The Steinhart is not a full service hotel, however we strive to provide excellent service to our guests. Thank you again for staying with us and I hope to welcome you back in near future.

Hotel Manager

Been to Steinhart? Share your experiences!