“A lovely hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #63 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
UK
“A lovely hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I thoroughly researched where to stay - in terms of price and pleasantness. I also wanted an apartment. I got a studio apartment (600) and was very happy. Windows I could open. A big fan in the centre. A comfortable murfee bed. Free wi-fi. Courteous, very helpful service. I could buy all I needed at a store a few doors down. Easy to get anywhere.

But .... Everything provided except food necessities, including salt and pepper, though I think I've come across that before in the US. Tiny cooking facilities - 2 rings and a microwave, and not many utensils. I did, however, enjoy wonderful tea thanks to being able to boil the water in the saucepan. Bliss.

Room Tip: My room was great
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

141 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

As others have said, the location is great. The price is good.

Some other pros & cons:
PROS
-new moderately-firm mattresses (unlike other hotels I've been in); good pillows too
-decent light-shielding from curtains (something I'm pretty sensitive to)
-street noise was not as bad as I feared (another thing I'm sensitive to); some garbage truck noise around 3am most nights... we were on 5th floor on the street side.
-most staff was quite friendly and helpful, providing extras we requested
-good barrier between bedroom & living room/2nd bdrm
-ample towels etc.
-decent Wi-Fi
-great coffee shops & other amenities nearby
-windows easily opened & closed
-free local phone calls

CONS
-kitchenette didn't really facilitate actual cooking - fine for warming things up, but few cooking implements were provided (not even a draining board)
-could not find any thermostat, even though we were told there was one.
-housekeeping is just once a week (didn't really pose a problem for us)
-shower had little ventilation, so water condensed on ceiling & would drip
-back patio was pretty small

All in all, pretty good. Great for families. I'd probably return.

Room Tip: Away from street is probably quieter & darker, but street-side wasn't a real nuisance for us...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dimitar S, Manager at Steinhart, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Verite 17,

Thank you for sharing your experience about your stay at The Steinhart on trip advisor. I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay. There is no thermostat control in the apartments, however all units have electrical heaters. In regards to the kitchen please be advised that additional cooking implements are provided upon request. I would like to thank you again for your review. I look forward to welcome you back at the Steinhart.

Fort Lau
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

This hotel dates back to 1910, a real gem for those of us who love a bygone era. That said, the rooms are up to date with wifi, full kitchen, generous closet space, very comfortable Murphy bed in the large living room, and a spacious master bedroom with a comfortable queen bed. The wood floors are really beautiful. My son is 6'4 and slept well on the Murphy bed. There is an HDTV and iPod dock in the living room. The bathroom was long and easily met the needs of the three of us. This hotel is simply charming and the staff are wonderfully enthusiastic and helpful. Need extra towels? Just ask! Need a light bulb changed? Up comes the receptionist with a ladder! The attentiveness is really quite amazing.
All that said: don't expect this apartment/hotel to be a full service establishment. Housekeeping is on Fridays, and larger repairs require an appointment. The hotel is wonderfully antique, so don't expect a/c (you won't need it.). Given that everyone's windows are opened, you can expect lots of noise and the reception desk closes after 11 pm and reopen at 9 am - no place to inquire about noises like screaming babies. The hospital is close so you will occasionally hear sirens.
Nearby: laundromat, grocer, Walgreens, sandwich shop, coffee shop. Our walk to Notre Dame church took us about 15 minutes and Chinatown is about 25 for slow walkers. Yellow cabs come within minutes to the hotel and an across town fare was only about $13.
I tried to give this 10 night stay a fair and balanced review given the myriad of other reviews here on trip advisor. If you love nostalgia, the you will love Steinhart. Just don't expect Ritz service. Remember to bring your own groceries or buy them next door. Do expect phenomenal and courteous service and immaculate rooms.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dimitar S, Manager at Steinhart, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear John M,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor. As you have mentioned The Steinhart is not a full service hotel, however we strive to provide excellent service to our guests. Thank you again for staying with us and I hope to welcome you back in near future.

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is the best hotel stay we have had as a family of 4 (2 teens) where there is enough space for everyone. These are apartments, so you get the feel of living in San Francisco, even if only for a short while. The staff were always so courteous and friendly. I read reviews before I booked, and some were not too favorable, due to lack of room service; however knowing this is an apartment, you really souldnt expect room service. Reading reviews in advance helped us prepare for our stay (take some toilet paper, hygiene items, etc.). There are nearby corner stores where you can stock up your full size fridge and get some snacks. There is a full dining room and lots of storage space. The kids loved the Murphy Bed and there is also a sofa. Having a separate bedroom for adults is great, so kids can stay up longer w/o disturbing the whole group. We are planning our next trip, and only regret that there is no availability at the Steinhart this time around, but we will always recommend this to everyone we know going to San Francisco.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The beauty of the Steinhart is maybe more about what it is not. Since I have never stayed in a 100 year old Sheraton or Marriott (and why?) you are left to consider the quality of this kind of hotel on its personal merits. My suite with a murphy bed was clean, quite and altogether perfect for a 4 night stay. Stands to reason if you are on the second floor facing Sutter street in a busy city like SF it will be a bit noisy, the solution is obvious. My compliments to a very accomodating staff, this and the charm of a rather well maintained property,all lent it self to a feeling of staying at a friends apartment rather than a cookie cutter me too hotel. You are 3 blocks from the California street cable car and roughly 6 short blocks to Powell street. Plenty of restaurants, bars and cafe's very close by to meet your needs any time of the day or night.. Again the beauty of a big city is no need to rent a car here for getting around and enjoying the sights. Keep in mind the front desk staff leaves at 11PM, enjoy.

Room Tip: Just select a room not facing Sutter street and any major noise problem goes away
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dimitar S, Manager at Steinhart, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Jeff351,

Thank you so very much for the great review and your compliments about the hotel staff and the hotel. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back again soon. It means so much to us when a guest enjoys staying at our little jewel of a hotel. Again thank you for taking the time to post your review and I look forward to your next visit.

virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed at the Steinhart in a one bedroom apartment. The positives: beautiful, historic building loaded with charm and character; spacious room with full kitchen; could be your home away from home; convenient location to Union Square. The cons: While the space was clean and nicely appointed, the noise level was a real disappointment. We heard noises from neighboring rooms all throughout the night, every night which made sleeping soundly nearly impossible. We requested a room change but no other rooms were available. Perhaps a room on a higher floor might solve the problem. We might give the hotel another try for our return trip this May since we enjoyed the apartment feel over a traditional hotel room.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dimitar S, Manager at Steinhart, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry that your stay at The Steinhart was not as enjoyable as you have anticipated. The building has solid brick walls that reduce noise coming from neighbor apartments. I do apologize that we were unable to offer you to switch apartments during your stay, as you have mentioned we were sold out during that time period. I truly hope that you will give us another chance. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to assist you with your reservation.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I found this apartment hotel on Trip Advisor. While it's old, it's heritage, full of character features including a cage elevator & next door to the hotel used in Hitchcock's Vertigo.
I booked a studio & received complimentary upgrade to 1 bedroom which was massive & so home-y! Clean, so comfy, really friendly staff, security entry (good for travelling females, felt very secure). Great location, tours picked up there, walk to Union Square.
Great price, wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Steinhart? Share your experiences!