“Thanks Chef Cindy!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 Stockton Street, at California Street, San Francisco, CA 94108   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Savor Breakfast for Two
Ranked #26 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Virginia, United States
“Thanks Chef Cindy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

My wife and sons (8 & 10) had never been to San Francisco, so after 5 days of skiing at the Ritz at Lake Tahoe, we spent 3 days at the Ritz in San Francisco. WE LOVED IT!!

The visit got off on the right foot after I reached out to the club-level concierge looking for dining information for my wife and son who are on strict gluten-free diets. The concierge replied with typical lists of reservation recommendations; but shortly after, the pastry chef, Chef Cindy, responded with a very thorough and thoughtful reply with a bunch of great suggestions. We made some reservations and really felt taken care of! We have stayed at a lot of Ritz-Carltons, but Chef Cindy’s help went way above and beyond what we have experienced anywhere else!

Pros:

- The location and hotel are great! Right on a cable-car route and an easy walk to lots of great “touristy” destinations. The walk home can be tough because it’s all uphill — a really BIG hill.

- The Club Level is better than most we’ve experienced. The lounge was big with lots of comfy chairs and spots for the boys to do homework. Chef Cindy made sure that there was an assortment of gluten-free stuff for us. We ate breakfast in the lounge everyday and were very satisfied.

- The room was very nice. Everything I’d expect from a great hotel.

- Our first night, we had dinner in the hotel at Parallel 37. The wait staff and Chef Michael were super helpful and our meals were awesome! We were stuffed and couldn’t eat dessert, which worked out great because the dessert spread in the club was fantastic! The boys asked to return to Parallel 37 the next night, but we needed to explore!

- The club concierges were super helpful in helping us find our way around the city. We did lots of touristy stuff: Alcatraz, the Exploratorium, Fisherman’s Wharf, cable cars, Chinatown, the Golden Date, Union Square, the Ferry Building farmers market, Lombard St, and lots of walking around!

- Chef Cindy! My son has commented how nice she was to him. She came and welcomed us in the club lounge and made sure he was comfortable with the gluten-free options — including an awesome tray of GF pastries she left in the room! Thanks Chef!!

Cons:

- The hotel doesn’t have much for families — no pool and not much to do when the weather’s bad.

- The pros dramatically outweigh the cons...

It was a great stay! We’ll be back!!

Room Tip: The Club Level is worth the splurge!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Allen H, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Good Day Mr. Mike F-
Thank you for taking the time to give us such great feedback after your recent stay here at The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco. I am so happy that you had such great interactions with lot's of the Ladies & Gentlemen of the hotel and if was especially nice to hear about the interaction with Chef Cindy and your family.
We look forward to your next visit to San Francisco. Thank you so much for staying with us.
Kind Regards-

915 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Turkish first
Tulsa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Great location. The staff was incredible but what else would you expect from a Ritz? We stayed on the concierge level which I would recommend. Live entertainment in the bar was fun. One of the best locations in San Francisco. The spa was also very nice.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

It was a lovely place to stay and the service was great. But there really was nothing about it that stood out. I felt like it was overpriced just for the name's sake. The furnishings were lovely though not entirely clean. The amenities were fine but it seemed difficult to find things like good coffee and waters for the room. These are the kinds of things you just expect for a hotel of this caliber. Overall, it was a lovely stay, but if I probably would not stay there again. If you really like an upscale traditional or "old school" hotel, you will likely love this one.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Allen H, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Missyg,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. While I am pleased to hear that your visit was pleasant and that you had received excellent service, I am sorry to hear that your overall experience did not meet your expectations. I would appreciate the opportunity to be in touch with you. Feedback is extremely important to us, and so if you could afford the time, I may be reached directly at 415-296-7465. I look forward to hearing from you.

All over
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We had a great visit to this property for a wedding weekend. Staff was very accommodating and helpful. Great location. Recommended for all.

Ps. Room service was really great! We had it on 3 occasions and every time, it was exceptional. Even at 2 am!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear FineF00die,

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to post a review about your recent experience at
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco for a wedding. We would like to congratulate the newlyweds! As it is our commitment to provide our guests an exceptional and memorable experience, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us including our service, in room dining and location.

Thank you for being our guest. I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our Nob Hill landmark hotel in the future.

Warmest regards,

Rogers, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying two nights in this luxurious hotel. From the moment you arrive at the hotel, you know it is going to be an extraordinary experience. The Roman architecture of this building is stunning. The over-the-top friendly hotel staff welcomes you into a beautiful, well-appointed lobby. Although the rooms are not incredibly spacious, all furnishings and amenities are of the highest quality. The bed is super-comfortable, and the double-vanities in the bathrooms are nice. I enjoyed the free shoe-shining service at night. My room was facing the courtyard. Although a corporate party made for some noise in the early evening, at bedtime it was nice and quiet. The gym in this hotel is amazing! It's spacious and has very nice equipment. This hotel comes with the quality and luxury you would expect at a Ritz. The location is great as well, with close proximity to China town and Fisherman's wharf within walking distance (about a mile away). We had a group rate for our stay, but it was going to cost $749/night to extend the reservation. I probably wouldn't spend that type of money for a stay here, but whatever you end up spending, you should be pleased with your experience!

Room Tip: Request a room facing the courtyard to avoid noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Mexico City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

After reading some prior reviews, I was a bit hesitant about staying at this hotel. I was certainly glad that I did not pay attention to the assumptions of others!
From the moment we checked in we were graciously treated to a room upgrade without even asking! I had read that the rooms were outdated and not well appointed? Our room, 701 was elegantly furnished, extremely spacious and had a walk in closet. We received the afternoon sunshine and had a lovely view onto Stockton Street. We were traveling with our daughter and we preferred a king size bed and a rollaway rather than two doubles. The rollaway fit perfectly and did not disturb anyone's space! The rooms are furnished with an antique touch so if you do not appreciate that style of furnishings, it may not be the place for you. For us it was very comfortable with a feeling of being at home or in a European hotel!
The spa and gymnasium were lovely and very well appointed. The breakfast buffet, included in our package, was complete and delicious.
This magnificent structure sits on an ideal location. It was in walking distance to all of our desired destinations, as long as you are wearing comfortable shoes! Union Square is close by but very crowded and I would not want to be sleeping anywhere near there! Higher up on Nob Hill is a little to far from things! The hotel offers a complimentary local car service which we utilized one evening to go to dinner ( I was wearing heels)! It was very convenient!
The entire staff was pleasant and efficient! Some names that come to mind are: Luis in the dining room, Mariana and Angelo at the front desk and Joel at the door!
For those of you that did not find this hotel appealing, you will be glad to know that they are going to begin a complete renovation very soon. As for myself, I look forward to my next visit. I would not consider another hotel in San Francisco!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Allen H, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Bonapart,

I wanted to thank you sincerely for taking the time to share a review of your family’s recent stay at
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco. As it is our commitment to provide our guests an exceptional and memorable experience, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us including your comfortable guest room, our breakfast presentation and location. We also appreciate your kind words about Luis at Parallel 37, Mariana and Angelo at the Front Desk. I will be sure to inform them of your kind comments.

Bonapart, thank you for being our guest. I certainly look forward to welcoming your family back to our Nob Hill landmark hotel in the future.

Jupiter, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Hotel was a nice retreat. Any special requests were accommodated with a smile--from softer pillows, to buttons sewn on a dress shirt, to area recommendations. Kristen at the Lobby Bar is fantastic at making artful drinks! We preferred the personal service over the Four Seasons where we stayed in our last visit in 13.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Kmpicciano,

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to share a wonderful review of your stay with the Trip Advisor community. As it is our commitment to provide our guests our legendary personalized service and a memorable stay, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us. I will also share with Kristen in The Lounge your wonderful feedback about the cocktails she created for you.

415-296-7465

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco? Share your experiences!