“heavenly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco

You added The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 Stockton Street, at California Street, San Francisco, CA 94108   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Savor Breakfast for Two
Ranked #23 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Alpharetta, Georgia
“heavenly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

STAFF! SERVICE! LOCATION! AMENITIES! YES, YES, YES , YESSSSSSSSS! lol, this made for an exceptional spring break for my family ! One of the best hotels I've ever visited. Definitely recommend this hotel for vacation stays.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Allen H, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Sheila-

I wanted to thank you sincerely for taking the time to share a review of your recent stay at
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco. It was so happy to hear that you and your family had the opportunity to spend some of your spring break with us here in the "City by the Bay"! As it is our commitment to provide our guests an exceptional and memorable experience, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us.
Thank you for being our guest. I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our Nob Hill landmark hotel in the future.
Warmest regards,
Allen Highfield
415-2967465

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Turkish first
Newberg, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

My best night of sleep I have ever got at a hotel, ever. No doors slamming, comfy bed, and a staff of pure professionals. You get exactly what you pay for. They recommended great places to eat and were spot on. Highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for four nights while he attended a convention at the hotel. The entrance to the hotel looks like the entrance to the Lincoln Memorial. The hotel is located on the top of some steep hills so bring good walking shoes. All the hotel staff did an exceptional job aiming to please. The staff smiled and greeted us when we came and left the hotel. Our room was spacious and had a complimentary coffee maker with coffee, tea and bottled water supplied each day. There was a refrigerator as well. I thought it was a bit cheap of the hotel to charge $14 a day for internet when staying here is quite expensive. We did not eat in their hotel. The hotel is within walking distance of Union Square and Westfield Shopping Center. Walking to Fisherman's Wharf is about 15 blocks away.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for two nights for a conference. The lobby and service were very nice. The staff was always professional. The rooms do appear dated but still were very clean. Room service was good, if not a little overpriced.

They had a very nice kids club. My children enjoyed the activities and the free pay-per-view movie.

The reason I did not enjoy my stay was the lack of free wi-fi. This was most apparent in the conference center. My cell phone gets poor service here and limits me to a 3G connection which makes using it for data rather limited. This is a conference with over 200 professionals, many of whom require data access for activities during the conference. I was told I could pay for wifi. However after traveling across the country, paying for the conference and staying in a hotel for $300 per night, this is ludicrous. Wifi should be free for the cost associated with the hotel.

I will likely stay here again in the future if the conference is held here again. We really have enjoyed our stay, but the wifi issue is very irritating.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

The Ritz in San Francisco is a very good option if you want to be on Nob Hill and near Union Square. If not – try another five star hotel like the Four Seasons or the St. Regis….until they complete their renovation campaign.

The hotel has remodeled the lobby, bar, restaurant and gym. All are very good (except they took out the pool to make room for bigger gym - - would have been nice to have found a way to enlarge they gym without sacrificing the pool.)

The halls and guest rooms however are very dated, poorly maintained and not at all what one expects from a Ritz.

But…. They plan to remodel the rooms this summer. Once they do - - I will go back. Until then, there are many other options that really live up to their five star ratings.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Allen H, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Pete,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us feedback regarding your recent stay at The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco. We strive to provide our guests exceptional personalized service, facilities and a memorable stay, so your comments are extremely important to us so we may focus on areas that require improvement.

I value your kind comments about our lobby, lounge, restaurant and fitness center and am happy to hear that you enjoyed these areas. We are currently in the planning stages for a renovation and look forward to enhancing our hotel. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon. If I can be of any assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me at 415-296-7465.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Anyone who has come to San Francisco and made the turn onto Stockton can't help but be excited by the beautiful white marble look of the Ritz. The scale is perfect against the tilts of the streets at this part of the hill. Service is Ritz-like - solid but cool to the touch. If you haven't stayed here - come - it is worth it if you want to spend the change and be seen. But don't expect the same exterior magic in the rooms - they are dated with that 80's touch that the Ritz has been cycling out of its properties slowly but surely (Thayer bought this property last year and looks to capitalize on the rapid expansion of room rates in this current Silicon Valley boom). To be fair though, it is the best hotel on Nob Hill and great for events.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Martha's Vineyard
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my daughter while touring area colleges. Great location, friendly and helpful staff, older hotel charm and perfect for our needs. We were treated very well. Walls a bit thin but not terribly bothersome. Definitely would return.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Allen H, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Good Afternoon,
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco. As it is our commitment to provide our guests an exceptional and memorable experience, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us and hopefully your daughter will attend one of the great universities in the Bay Area and we will be your hotel choice for the next several years. Thank you for your kind comments about our Ladies and Gentlemen, I will be sure to share this review with them.
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our Nob Hill landmark hotel in the future.
Warmest regards,
Allen Highfield

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco? Share your experiences!