“Not a 5-Diamonds hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco

You added The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 Stockton Street, at California Street, San Francisco, CA 94108   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Savor Breakfast for Two
Ranked #23 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Portland, Oregon
“Not a 5-Diamonds hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

When we stay at a 5-Diamonds hotel, we expect impeccable service. That's what separates them from 4-Diamonds hotels. Ritz-Carlton SF is the only 5-Diamond hotel in the city, but based on our experience staying there in November, 2013, I have to say it's not quite up to the standard set by other 5-Diamond hotels we've stayed in the US and abroad. One incident was especially alarming that the bellman who brought our luggage to our room was quite aloof and arrogant. We've never had to endure such a poor behavior at a 5-Diamond hotel. We have a plan to visit San Fran in June, 2014, but we won't choose this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I love this hotel -- great location and helpful staff. The remodel of the lobby, bar, restaurant and workout facilities are perfect! But --- time to refresh the rooms to match the lobby. I spend about 20 nights (both club level and regular floors) a year at the hotel and the hallway carpets and bedroom furnishings are worn, outdated and in need of a re-do. Bathrooms in most of the rooms have been redone and are in good shape. So management -- time to spend some capital on the rooms to have them match the beauty and quality in the lobby.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Napa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton in mid November. I work in the industry, and have had a lot of my own clients stay here, so I wanted to experience it first hand.
Jasmine at the front desk was amazing. I enjoyed my conversation with her, and she was able to upgrade me.
I stayed on the top floor, and had an amazing view. I was overlooking the whole city, could see the bay and much more. The room was immaculate, and was well designed. The bathroom shower head as well was also fantastic.
I booked the bed and breakfast package, which included breakfast in the morning as well as valet parking in the rate. Great deal. I LOVED my breakfast, and must admit it was probably some of the best breakfast I have had in a while. In addition, although I forget their names the room service employees are amazing.
At checkout I also encountered some fantastic employees. The whole valet squad was great. Very friendly and personable. Felt like I was on the team.
Overall, I love this hotel and location. I would much rather spend money and feel it is worth it than to spend so much and feel guilty afterwards. The Ritz was absolutely worth it.

Room Tip: The top floors have great views, but I feel almost any of their rooms would be great since they sit...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Just returned from a girls weekend at the Ritz Carlton. The hotel is absolutely beautiful and it helped that it was all decorated for Christmas.

We upgraded to the Club level which is beyond worth it. The food was pretty amazing, especially the dinner offerings. If you are there on Saturday nights, they have a caviar cart. I was in heaven. The drinks are also pretty darn good and there is something about enjoying a glass of champagne mid-day that makes you feel extra pampered. Thank you to the staff at the club level for making our stay an extremely enjoyable experience.

There were four of us that shared one room. The beds are a little bit on the small size, especially considering the size of the room but that's okay. The bathrooms were well appointed and housekeeping always kept up with us, and our towel needs.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. I think it's worth the extra cost, especially if you like to have cocktails, to upgrade to the club level.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the club level. We were on the street side of the hotel and even when the window was open...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

The hotel is all you would expect from a Ritz, clean and very upscale. The service is also top notch. My only complaint, if you can call it that, is the location. It is uphill from most places which is not really a big deal but could be for some.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Overall the hotel was nice, the staff were always quick to greet us and very helpful. My only complaint is that the bathroom didn't have a fan. Room overheated quickly and felt like a sauna, made it hard to get ready. It was my first time in Arlington and DC and I would recommend this hotel. Valet was always prompt.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I stayed in the San Francisco Ritz in September and had a wonderful time. The concierge, Daniel, was absolutely fantastic and gave me terrific ideas that proved to be memorable experiences. . It's in a great location- accessible to many things - but quiet and not full of hustle and bustle. This hotel really lived up to all of my expectations about what the Ritz should be

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco? Share your experiences!