“Great hospitality and service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco

You added The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 Stockton Street, at California Street, San Francisco, CA 94108   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Savor Breakfast for Two
Ranked #23 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
USA
“Great hospitality and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Very happy and impressed by the excellent service at the hotel and restaurant. I had major dental surgery the day before, when I arrived I requested a quite room so I can get good sleep. I was not disappointed and the front desk made sure I got an upgraded room away for elevators, street etc. Also we had group dinner at the restaurant and I had emailed special request for vegetarian meal and nothing hard since I could not chew well. The chef had prepared a 5 course meal for the group and took care of my needs without any issue. The food was excellent too. Overall a great stay, will come back for sure

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

So there is nothing, per se, "wrong" with this property, but having stayed at other Ritz properties, I found it to not be up to usual standards and certainly not worth the high price tag.

Before we even checked in, I called to ask about where we could obtain a humidifier close to the property. While I understand that this is not a service they would have to provide, I was surprised that they told me that they would be happy to put one in our room. When we arrived, there was no humidifier in the room like they had said. When I called the front desk, they assured that they would bring one up right away. No one ever came. Finally, after calling a third time, they finally brought us one. Like I mentioned previously, I understand that this was not something a hotel would normally have to provide, I was disappointed with their lack of organization especially when they assured me it would be "no problem" (otherwise I would have simply bought one). Additionally, I also mentioned that we were here to celebrate our anniversary. While I wasn't expecting a bottle of champagne or a free upgrade, I was a bit surprised that they did not even acknowledge the occasion like they had before at other Ritz properties. The service just wasn't quite up to the standards and price you pay. One exception to this, however, would be Patrick. I believe he works for the bell desk. He was extremely knowledgable and friendly and tried to make our stay a special one.

The location is not bad - but not exactly super convenient to many of the main attractions, its a bit out of the way (and the hills can be a bit difficult if you are wearing heels! - then again, it is called "Nob Hill" so what was I expecting?) However, it is extremely quiet so if that is what you are seeking it may be a good fit. The outside and lobby areas of the hotel are beautiful, absolutely stunning.
The rooms themselves on the other hand, while nicely appointed, are quite small (remember this is an OLD hotel). The bathrooms were a bit disappointing. (The old shower/tub combo reminded me of something you'd see in a motel. Again, nothing wrong with this - but not quite worth the price). Something of note, actually, is the blinds - they blocked out all light, even in the morning. I would like to know where I could obtain some of these for my own home! Also - remember to put the do not disturb sign up - the housekeeping comes by early!
The gym was large and very nice (quite clean as well). I was a bit disappointed that there were no jacuzzis or anything of that nature.

Overall, while this was not a bad hotel (by any means!!), I just did not think it was up to usual Ritz standards and would probably not choose to stay here again - It just was not worth what we paid.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We began an 11-day coastal California odyssey here and the trip could not have started any better. Our check-in was a breeze (we were even offered champagne during our wait and our children were given toys, too!), valet was wonderfully helpful. Our room was gorgeous. The beds were super comfy, the bathroom very roomy and well-appointed. The staff in every part of the hotel were fantastic: concierge, front desk, valet, bellman, housekeeping (turndown service especially was fabulous)... everyone was great. We ate at Parallel 37 for breakfast most mornings and that is one of the best breakfast buffets (which I typically never eat if given the choice) was spectacular. We ate dinner there as well and I was less impressed (by SF standards) but it was still nice.

An easy walk to Union Station or Chinatown; quick hop onto cable car to get to coast on either side of Nob Hill (Ferry Building or Fisherman's Wharf); easy walk to North Beach/Coit Tower. Highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: Higher floors give you great views of city (duh). Windows are a bit small, so if sunny room is impor...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Even though we could hear the elevator, which is quite busy at this hotel, the 2 nights spent here were quite enjoyable. The elevator is Ritz quiet!! Small room with one sink bathroom and tub/shower combo was slightly disappointing but we had Club Level access and we weren't here to sit in the hotel room anyway. Very comfortable while in the room, we enjoyed Ritz service particularly the bellman....very friendly and helpful

Room Tip: Room 610 is by the elevators
Clarksville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My wife and I recently visted SF on our way to Napa. We stayed at the Ritz in SF. From the time we pulled up to the front door, until the time we left the hotel, the staff was outstanding. It is very refreshing to be in a hotel that knows how to cater to its guests. Our room was very conformtable, and we felf at home. The staff is outstanding; the accomodations are great, and we highly recommend The Ritz-Carlton to anyone visting SF in the near future. Enjoy!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Our stay at this hotel was close to perfect. The housekeeping staff are exceptional. Twice-daily housekeeping service left our room a pleasure to return to each afternoon and evening. The windows in the room opened for fresh air, which is always wonderful to find. All staff went out of their way to be courteous and helpful, but the door men were outstanding. Incredible cab-calling service! The hotel is on a hill, so you will get your exercise returning to it, but the location, near Chinatown, couldn't be nicer. It's a short walk to excellent shopping, many restaurants, and other sights. Seeing large dogs in the lobby on a few occasions was annoying and is the one reason we would stay elsewhere on a future visit. To really be the elegant accommodation they strive to be, this hotel should prohibit dogs as it is so unpleasant to encounter them underfoot in the smallish lobby. Otherwise, the RC is doing a magnificent job with this property. There is a lovely courtyard with benches, a standard gift shop, and a very pleasant lounge where you can relax with drinks in the evening. The restaurant was adequate, as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room overlooking courtyard
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We were in San Francisco for a friend's wedding and wanted to treat ourselves with a luxurious stay somewhere, so we chose the Ritz. What a treat! Our room was spacious and the beds were very comfortable. I always sleep so well when staying at a Ritz Carlton hotel. The location is not bad, although be warned that it's on a steep hill- not for the faint of heart.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco? Share your experiences!