“Overall a pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco

You added The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 Stockton Street, at California Street, San Francisco, CA 94108   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Savor Breakfast for Two
Ranked #23 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Singapore, Singapore
“Overall a pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed in a deluxe room with double beds. Room was very roomy and clean. The beds were also very comfortable. We stayed on the second level but couldn't hear much from the traffic downstairs - so was pretty good.

Location was good - a few blocks away from union square and financial district but many slopes so comfortable shoes are advised. Fisherman wharf is slightly further (tram would be the best option). Chinatown is 5 mins walk away.

Service was just ok. We arrived after a 20 hours flight but the front desk advised that the system is down and was unable to check us in. Didn't offer any water, nothing. It was an hour of wait and we didn't get any apologies from the front desk. Apart from this, everyone was quite friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Turkish first
Bend, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The architecture of this building is beautiful a former bank. Staff was first rate and Alexander concierge at club level was beyond first rate. We did travel with our children and based at our many stays at Ritz Carlton's they were disappointed to see that this was their first that didn't offer a Ritz Kids. While we were informed that this is a "business hotel" so is London and they embrace children. Rooms are nice service is great.

Only real disappointment was Parallel 37 restaurant. After waiting almost 20 minutes to order drinks we also ordered chefs 4 course tasting menu first two courses were good but had about a half ounce of protein when I mentioned this to waiter they became very attentive and portion sizes increases but somehow they forgot to season anything. To complete it we asked it to be seafood based so got flank steak. Maybe Sunday nights are the rookie nights in the kitchen.

Summary - stay there, great club level, great service, skip the restaurant and no kids program.

• Stayed June 2013
Midwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The Ritz San Francisco feels like old money. This property does Ritz like it is supposed to be done! When you drive up they radio your name to the front desk so you will be greeted by name. We had just gotten engaged in wine country and office mates had called and gotten us a complimentary upgrade to a suite, chocolate covered strawberries and they paid for a lovely bottle of Dom Perignon champagne! Then for turn down we happily discovered rose petals on the bed -- now when was the last time that happened to you?? The work out room was great as was the lounge. The lobby of this hotel is on the 4th floor as I recall since it is built into a pretty steep San Francisco hillside. Valet parking is ridiculously expensive but real estate is high in the city. Would highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Corner suite was wonderful!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Love this hotel, have stayed here a couple of times, but I really just love it. It's a little older, with a lot of charm, beautiful views, a short walk to Union Square, China Town, the Financial District. The service was incredible, as you would expect at a Ritz, once you get past the hotel layout, which can be a little confusing, you will love your stay. The entrance is on the 4th floor, most of the conference rooms are on the 1st and 2nd, so you go down. There is one main elevator that goes to all the floors, and one that only goes from the 4th down. It's a little hard getting used to that, but hey, it's SF and everything is unique, right? Arrived early so my room wasn't quite ready and had business to do and so I relaxed in the lounge where there were comfortable chairs and plenty of outlets to plug in to. The inner courtyard is quite and green, plenty of places to relax. I didn't visit the gym or the spa because the weather was so beautiful I ran outside. Short walk 2 blocks down to Union Square.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This Ritz is located at the edge of China town, a couple blocks from Union Square, not far from little Italy and the financial district. I walked to fisherman's wharf and took a short cab ride back. I was here for a conference and everything was Ritz perfect.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

I travel frequently on biz trip to major cities around the world (NYC, Boston, SFO, London, Paris, Shanghai). Over past 5-6 yrs, I go to SFO 1-2x a year. On my last biz trip to US, I stayed in Ritz Carlton in NYC, Boston & SFO. I thought the ones in NYC & Boston were up to standard. But I was very disappointed with the one in SFO. My flight from Boston to SFO was delayed for 4 hrs, so by the time I arrived at the hotel, it was already 3am. When I arrived, the valet / doorman was absent, so no one was there to help me with my luggage. When I walked into the lobby, no one was at the front desk or bell desk. There wasn't even a bell for me to ring to call to alert the check-in staff. I wandered around the hotel helplessly to look for someone, anyone! Finally found a vacuum-lady & she helped me alert the front desk staff to check me in. I understand staff level is low at 3am but still! Next morning, I ordered room service for b'fast, and both my toast & potatoes were burnt (as in totally black!). Admittedly, the room service staff was quick to change my toast, and hotel manager was very apologetic the next day after I complained, and did try to make up for my disappointment with special favors, which I appreciate. But I read on tripadvisor that another guest had similar exp ("One night is enough" - no staff at front desk & bellman watching movie on cell phone when checking out in morning). So I decided to post this review to share with potential guests. Much prefer Mandarin Oriental & Four Seasons SFO

• Stayed May 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Absolutely worth the money!! This is what I expect (and I rarely get) when I stay in a 5 star hotel. Only positives to note here, so if you're looking for a review with some warning before booking your stay, you won't find it in mine.

(1) Friendly staff that really give you a warm welcome and meet every one of your needs with helpfulness, politeness and expediency. I made a call: "could I please have x,y,z?".... tadahhh it was with me in 5 mins. Love it!
(2) Room was great - we had a corner room and so had 2 windows instead of the usual single window. If you can get this, I would recommend it. It was clean, clean, clean. Bed was comfy!
(3) Free tea and coffee cabinet in your room, bottled water placed by your bedside in the evening, Asprey toiletteries, complimentary shoe shine service.
(4) The Lounge was really nice. We had some wine and snacks here. Highly recommended!
(5) Ok, one negative, there was no pool (obviously I knew this before going)

Overall, we had a splendid stay here and will make it our spot to return to next time we are in San Fran.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco? Share your experiences!