“Exceeded expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco

You added The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 Stockton Street, at California Street, San Francisco, CA 94108   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Savor Breakfast for Two
Ranked #23 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Midwest
“Exceeded expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The Ritz San Francisco feels like old money. This property does Ritz like it is supposed to be done! When you drive up they radio your name to the front desk so you will be greeted by name. We had just gotten engaged in wine country and office mates had called and gotten us a complimentary upgrade to a suite, chocolate covered strawberries and they paid for a lovely bottle of Dom Perignon champagne! Then for turn down we happily discovered rose petals on the bed -- now when was the last time that happened to you?? The work out room was great as was the lounge. The lobby of this hotel is on the 4th floor as I recall since it is built into a pretty steep San Francisco hillside. Valet parking is ridiculously expensive but real estate is high in the city. Would highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Corner suite was wonderful!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Turkish first
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Love this hotel, have stayed here a couple of times, but I really just love it. It's a little older, with a lot of charm, beautiful views, a short walk to Union Square, China Town, the Financial District. The service was incredible, as you would expect at a Ritz, once you get past the hotel layout, which can be a little confusing, you will love your stay. The entrance is on the 4th floor, most of the conference rooms are on the 1st and 2nd, so you go down. There is one main elevator that goes to all the floors, and one that only goes from the 4th down. It's a little hard getting used to that, but hey, it's SF and everything is unique, right? Arrived early so my room wasn't quite ready and had business to do and so I relaxed in the lounge where there were comfortable chairs and plenty of outlets to plug in to. The inner courtyard is quite and green, plenty of places to relax. I didn't visit the gym or the spa because the weather was so beautiful I ran outside. Short walk 2 blocks down to Union Square.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This Ritz is located at the edge of China town, a couple blocks from Union Square, not far from little Italy and the financial district. I walked to fisherman's wharf and took a short cab ride back. I was here for a conference and everything was Ritz perfect.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

I travel frequently on biz trip to major cities around the world (NYC, Boston, SFO, London, Paris, Shanghai). Over past 5-6 yrs, I go to SFO 1-2x a year. On my last biz trip to US, I stayed in Ritz Carlton in NYC, Boston & SFO. I thought the ones in NYC & Boston were up to standard. But I was very disappointed with the one in SFO. My flight from Boston to SFO was delayed for 4 hrs, so by the time I arrived at the hotel, it was already 3am. When I arrived, the valet / doorman was absent, so no one was there to help me with my luggage. When I walked into the lobby, no one was at the front desk or bell desk. There wasn't even a bell for me to ring to call to alert the check-in staff. I wandered around the hotel helplessly to look for someone, anyone! Finally found a vacuum-lady & she helped me alert the front desk staff to check me in. I understand staff level is low at 3am but still! Next morning, I ordered room service for b'fast, and both my toast & potatoes were burnt (as in totally black!). Admittedly, the room service staff was quick to change my toast, and hotel manager was very apologetic the next day after I complained, and did try to make up for my disappointment with special favors, which I appreciate. But I read on tripadvisor that another guest had similar exp ("One night is enough" - no staff at front desk & bellman watching movie on cell phone when checking out in morning). So I decided to post this review to share with potential guests. Much prefer Mandarin Oriental & Four Seasons SFO

• Stayed May 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Absolutely worth the money!! This is what I expect (and I rarely get) when I stay in a 5 star hotel. Only positives to note here, so if you're looking for a review with some warning before booking your stay, you won't find it in mine.

(1) Friendly staff that really give you a warm welcome and meet every one of your needs with helpfulness, politeness and expediency. I made a call: "could I please have x,y,z?".... tadahhh it was with me in 5 mins. Love it!
(2) Room was great - we had a corner room and so had 2 windows instead of the usual single window. If you can get this, I would recommend it. It was clean, clean, clean. Bed was comfy!
(3) Free tea and coffee cabinet in your room, bottled water placed by your bedside in the evening, Asprey toiletteries, complimentary shoe shine service.
(4) The Lounge was really nice. We had some wine and snacks here. Highly recommended!
(5) Ok, one negative, there was no pool (obviously I knew this before going)

Overall, we had a splendid stay here and will make it our spot to return to next time we are in San Fran.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend in June for some work meetings in SF/a quick visit with family. The lobby is nice and everyone I encountered was friendly. Maybe it was my room, but the place just felt unclean compared to other Ritz's I've stayed at. Room smelled musty, rust in various parts of the bathroom, stains on the furniture, and several other things I won't go into. Had I not flown in on a redeye or stayed for a longer period, I would have made a bigger stink about it. Reached out to Ritz abut the negative experience and they pretty much gave me a [--] apology. Love Ritz, but would never stay at the SF location again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Toledo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

As part of the Marriott rewards decided to try this property after staying at the Marriott Marque a month prior. EXCELLENT choice. Was contacted by one of the conceirge for any trip assistance prior to our trip and he helped set up a car service and some other tourist activities. We decided to upgrade and stay on the conceirge floor and do not regret the choice for a second. The food / beverage offerings were superb and enought for dinner one night, the desserts were incredible. We had some additional site seeing assistance with Alex and he was very helpful and knowledgeable. The room was very spacious and clean, we had a view over the courtyard. The building is not very tall, so no city views. Woke everymorning to beautiful birds chriping, glad the room had light blocking drapes. We did not use the spa/gym there but heard others raving about the services. Look forward to another stay! We were close to China town but did not visit there, close to some other shopping as well, but getting back up the hill was challenging after a long day!

Room Tip: We had a corner room overlooking the courtyard area, i think that was much quieter than the street v...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco? Share your experiences!