“A Hotel that” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 Stockton Street, at California Street, San Francisco, CA 94108   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Kids in the City Package
Ranked #27 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Kuala Lumpur
“A Hotel that”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I have stayed in Ritz during my summer break in SF. No doubt to say that, they pay utmost services to their check-in guests. Appreciate their Friendly Concierge Services, Friendly and attentive bell boy service. Applauded them with their effort.

However, i encountered one incident, i got locked out from my room. It took them 30 min to rectify the door. With all the jet lagged and tiring day i had, i literally slept off on the corridor while the maintenance man was getting the door lock fix.

For that i give them 4 star rating, or else they are 5 star.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

806 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stay at this Ritz quite a bit when I come to San Francisco. Granted, it is usually when someone else is paying! However, what I love about this hotel, and any Ritz, is the service. It isn't stuffy like some other high-end hotels, rather it is pleasant, and you always know that anything you need is just a simple phone call away. They don't pick and choose who they give their best service to, everyone gets it, standard room or suite. I can't wait to stay here again next month for my dad's wedding!
I do think their rooms could use a slight update, emphasis on slight. Even with the older decor and fixtures, they are still bright and feel like home. I love the nob hill location, an easy walk to most of what you'd want to go to. Don't miss out on Trattoria Contadina in North Beach!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The hotel is well located, although the four seasons is closer to most offices and chinatown / shopping streets.
Building is beautiful and large. Spa / fitness center is very good and well equipped.

I didnt like the fact that I stayed on one wing and fitness center was in another, but i realise this is a shallow complaint.

Breakfast is OK, but lacks diversity on the buffet and on the menu. There wasnt anything very healthy / light (no cottage cheese, only 3 jams, no variety of breads). It was mostly eggs in different ways.

Lunch menu is also limited, but the food is good.

Service is impecable, clean and the staff is great and very helpful.

Room Tip: Try the same side as the fitness center
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

The Nob Hill location is very central. You can catch a cable car on California St to Financial District, Pacific Heights, Union Square and Fisherman's Wharf. It's touristy but do it once. There is a taxi stand on Stockton St right at hotel's driveway. You can also walk throughout Nob Hill, to China Town around the corner and to Telegraph Hill or North Beach if up to it. She's a grand hotel with grand prices, especially food and parking. You are in a foodie town, eat all meals away from the hotel. I've spent 15 days here in 2 stays and have only had 2 meals here. Excellent concierge desk. Large, elegant, comfortable and plush rooms. Top notch guest service was offered throughout stay. Great place to base your stay out of for exploring the city.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Fullerton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The RC SFO is a wonderful hotel with all of the "traditional" RC trappings. I am NOT a big fan of RC moving towards contemporary design and furnishings. The SFO property is perfectly located and within walking distance (if you are in reasonably good shape) to the wonderful shopping district and the Wharf. Cable car stop is only a couple of blocks away.

The Club Level has, in my opinion, the BEST food and beverage presentation on the West Coast. A wonderful abundance of lunch and heavy evening bites and salads that make for a perfect location to have a light lunch and glass of wine or champaign if you don't want to step out at any given time. The CL staff are outstanding in every way, always helpful, cheerful and willing to assist with local travel and dinner plans. A house car is available on a first come, first serve basis.

Room Tip: Book in advance as much as possible. The wife and I have a tradition of spending New Year's at t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

With the Ritz you expect great service, and I would rate the San Francisco Ritz as the best of the different Ritz's I have stayed at across the world. Our board members were treated like kings and queens and the facilities were great. But the personal service we received from seemingly every staff member here, from the restaurant hostess volunteering to help me with the wifi access, to the bartender explaining the service philosophy and why she loves working at Ritz, to the concierge who proactively asked if I wanted a bottle of water after I returned from a morning run; really set this hotel apart.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Elk Grove, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Arrival: I arrived early and pulled up in the porte-cochère (fancy, huh?). No one was immediately available to provide assistance. Valet parking is the only option at the hotel and it costs $64, plus taxes, a night. There is a parking garage down the block though (down the hill).

Check-in: I was pleasantly surprised that a room was available when I checked-in (a huge plus!). Elite status affords complimentary internet access (a savings of $14.95 per 24 hour period). Check-in took no more than a couple of minutes and I was on my way to my room.

Room: My room was on the same floor as the lobby – there are floors above and below the lobby because the hotel is built on a hill. There is no view to really speak of other than other buildings. There is a lack of privacy if you leave the windows drapes open because you can clearly see into the other windows in the buildings across the street. The room was wonderfully ordinary (there's no "WOW" factor) with signs of normal wear and tear such as a stained chair, pillows, etc. (rooms were last renovated in 2006). The one TV was rather small. There is a DVD player (a small selection of DVDs are available at the Front Desk to rent). You can make your own coffee/tea in your room, too (complimentary). Closet space is sufficient. Lighting is sufficient. My room afforded a great deal of natural light in the morning when the drapes are open. BTW, the blackout drapes did great keeping light out if you want to sleep in, if you can get over the ambient street noise that trickles to your room. Oh, did I mention the windows actually open? Because they do. The A/C is very robust and very much appreciated.

Bathroom: The bathroom was nicely appointed with double sinks, a combination shower/tub, and a separately enclosed toilet. The shower amenities are branded “The Ritz Carlton”. No complaints here, although I wonder why the hotel isn’t using a well known brand like Bvlgari (maybe in their more expensive rooms, perhaps?).

Food: There is an okay selection of food on the room service menu. Room service was quick and the food prices are on par with any comparable hotel. An American breakfast through room service is $38 per person. The customary room service fees are as follow: $5 delivery charge, sales tax, and a 21% service charge. My dinner food I ordered was mediocre at best – my fries were stale and tepid when it arrived. Food at the hotel’s restaurant (Parallel 37) was much better. Breakfast was delicious and the prices were comparable, minus all room service fees.

Check-out: On the informational invoice the hotel slipped under my door the day of check-out (who does that?) there was some billing issues. This was resolved quickly, but much like everywhere else, check your bill to make sure you’re getting your package amenities and any elite level benefits you’re entitled too taken off your bill.

Service: In one word, underwhelming. For what the room lacked (“WOW” factor), I had hoped the hotel would excel in the service department. Let me preface this by saying that staff were in no way rude or anything, just only, uh, nice. I guess I didn’t get the impression that the service was commensurate with a luxury hotel. I almost felt like I was wasting the concierge’s time when I asked him a question, we boxed our own food at the hotel’s restaurant when we had leftovers, and it was a hit or miss if the doorman opened the front door (I can open my own door, but I know the Four Seasons SF always has a doorman or two at each of their two main entrances to open doors for their guests)… small details, I suppose. However, I was most impressed with the housekeeping staff – they were always super friendly. Years ago, I stayed on the Club Level and the experience was awesome! I wish I would have stayed on the Club Level again this time around.

Miscellaneous: For leisure travelers, try booking a package. I booked the Bed and Breakfast package that included breakfast ($60 credit, food only) and valet parking. The hotel has an on-site gym (but I didn’t check it out). The hotel is close to Union Square for shopping and Chinatown.

Overall: All else equal, rate per night wise, I probably will stay at the Four Seasons or St Regis when I return to San Francisco. I wanted to rate the hotel 3.5 stars but gave it 4 because I can overlook the lack of finesse of some of the hotel’s staff because I paid such a great rate!

Room Tip: Try asking for the highest room possible to avoid street noise (hopefully it’s better up there).
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco? Share your experiences!