“Wonderful hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Hockessin, Delaware
“Wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband was at a conference and I was basically alone for the whole time we stayed in San Francisco, but the amazing staff at the Inn made me feel safe and took such attentive care of me! They greeted us each and every time we entered and left the hotel with smiles and questions about what we were doing and where we were going. They suggested itineraries and restaurants, with each suggestion being spot on! The location is perfect - steps away from Union Square and close to all public transportation, yet once you step into the hotel you can forget you are in a bustling city with the warmth of the staff and the quiet and luxury of the space. Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to even the most discerning travelers!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IAUSManager, General Manager at The Inn at Union Square, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

We sincerely appreciate your patronage of the Inn at Union Square and for sharing your comments our service and location. Our staff takes great pride and pleasure in providing personalized service to each of our guests. A recommendation is the ultimate compliment and we greatly appreciate yours.

At your service,

Norbert Mede
Inn at Union Square

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Greek first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

What a perfect little spot to be based in San Francisco for four nights. The location couldn't have been more central with all the shopping and restaurants around the corner. The inn was quant and we loved the thoughtfulness of having complimentary drinks and nibbles every evening which meant we could meet and chat to other travellers. The staff were very friendly and helpful and had a great knowledge of the area and all the tourist attractions. We are telling all our friends that this is the best place to stay and we would definitely make a return trip there.

Room Tip: Don't be expecting any views from your room but the location makes it all worthwhile
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

From the moment we checked in, until after we checked out, the staff were tremendous. This is a small, almost European style hotel - narrow corridors, old slow lift, not like a large chain hotel at all - and this only added to its appeal. Free wifi, breakfast included in room price, and complimentary evening wine and nibbles were all great. Wayne, the "innkeeper" was friendly and a mine of great local knowledge every evening at the drinks on Floor 3. We got great tips on nearby places to eat every evening (there is no in-house restaurant), and were thrilled with his recommendations. Location is excellent, basically right on Union Square, with its cable car stops and numerous taxis available. It was also surprisingly quiet at night. They gladly held our bags on the day we left, allowed us to use the 2nd floor lounge during the day, and sorted our taxi to the airport. We will definitely come back on our next trip to San Francisco.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I know this review is a little long, but things like this rarely, if ever, happen- so I hope someone can appreciate the detail and find it helpful in making a choice to visit this lovely Inn.
Let me start by saying I have traveled quite a bit and have been lucky enough to stay in many 5 star hotels with impeccable service, ie, Four Seasons, mandarin , ritz, ect...
My wife and I were really wanting more of a boutique experience on this trip, so we made a commitment to this Inn based on the reviews and my wonderful interactions with the staff over the phone while planning my trip. After a long day of travel I arrived, greeted warmly and checked in by Ann (who is quite possibly the most bubbly, happy and kind person alive). Once I got to the room, which was a large, beautiful and well appointed suite- I began looking for the thermostat. (SIDEBAR: I am a big guy and love my rooms much cooler than average.) I couldn't locate it so I called down to Ann and she begrudgingly informed me there was no AC in the hotel. This makes perfect sense because it is ALWAYS mild here with cool nights, and I am very much an outlier when it comes to my room temperature preferences. Needless to say, I was very disappointed because of my high anticipation of the stay. Of coarse this was not their fault, it was my oversight, and false assumption and lack of perperation. I was then quickly visited by Wayne, the manager / inn keeper , who offered to do everything in his power to make it work, but based on the length of my stay (10 days) , I knew I needed a different option, but I felt very guilty because they had been so gracious and kind in every way.
**So with that background here is the shocker:
**Not only did they not charge me for my cancellation (which was absolutely their right),
**Wayne invited me back anytime during my stay in the city to enjoy their wine and Hors d'oeuvre's so I could really experience all that the hotel had to offer. (Even though I was switching hotels).!!!
** next, he told me to please give him advance notice on my next visit and he will make every effort to have an "in room" portable AC UNIT!!!
** then, he helped me with my baggage and got me a cab to another property nearby.!!!
THIS WAS BY FAR THE MOST SELFLESS, HOSPITIBLE, AND GENUINELY DECENT EXPRESSION OF SERVICE I HAVE EVER RECIEVED.
I will recommend this lovely property to anyone I can, and I will surely be back in the future.
Thank you Wayne, Ann, and the whole staff for turning a disappointing situation into such a wonderful example of true care,service, and pride in your product and concern for your patrons. ZC

Room Tip: The suite was amazing and very large.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IAUSManager, General Manager at The Inn at Union Square, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your experience with the Inn at Union Square. Our staff strives to provide every visitor with an exceptional experience in San Francisco and truly enjoys providing their genuine hospitality to each guest. We are sorry we could not accommodate you during this visit however look forward to welcoming back during a future stay in San Francisco

At your service,

Norbert Mede
Inn at Union Square
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Awesome hotel steps from Union square. Very down to earth, comfortable, quiet and a retreat from the city while in the city. Great service. Great having breakfast and wine tasting daily. It was great coming back to this hotel after a long day of sight seeing. Would highly recommend this hotel and will be back!

• Stayed May 2013
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

The Inn is situated right by Union Square, half a block from the trolly and in a great shopping area. Not the best area for food but if you are in San Fran, you are going to want to get around the whole city anyways so that was not an issue for us. Everything is within 15-20 minutes walk anyways.
We were upgraded to a room with a separate living room for free due to our length of stay. We thought it was a bit pricy but that was due to a convention going on in the city. The rooms are not spacious but are comfortable enough. There is a mid afternoon snack and wine provided which was enjoyable.
Staff is superb, friendly and helpful. We would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Newburgh, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We recently stayed at The Inn at Union Square on our way to the Napa Valley. Although our room was smaller than normal the amenities at the hotel exceeded all our expectations. The staff is very helpful and go out of their way to make your stay memorable. The breakfast and evening wine reception were excellent and provided a means to meet the other guests and socialize. We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Inn at Union Square? Share your experiences!