My sister and I (middle 40's) stayed at this charming bed and breakfast place on a Friday night in January. We wanted to do dinner in the city and then stay overnight at the inn.
First of all, the location is unbeatable, literally in the heart of Union Square and half a block from Saks Fifth Avenue. It is an easy 4 block walk from the Powell BART station so if you are coming from the East Bay, you don't need to drive to the hotel, or if you are coming from the SFO BART station, just get off at the Powell Street BART station.
The receptionist couldn't be friendlier and made us feel welcome right away. We missed the wine and cheese hour (late afternoon to early evening) so I can't review the offerings. We booked the penthouse (Room 605) and it was worth every penny. Although the room is still not particularly spacious, the bathroom was wonderful (Jacuzzi style oversized tub) and there was even a separate sitting room with a nice vanity. Very convenient for women applying makeup or styling their hair.
The bed was very comfortable. The soundproofing was great - even though Union Square is busy on a Friday night, the windows must be double paned - we both are light sleepers and we didn't hear anything.
Although they offer room service from Morton's steakhouse, I would dine out - there is no excuse. There are so many wonderful restaurants within 2 blocks (Farallon) and if you venture less than half a mile, there is Michael Mina's.
Breakfast was good - a nice assortment of pastries - fresh squeezed orange juice and Peet's coffee.
Although the penthouse has a fireplace, if you are used to fireplaces in Mendocino or Big Sur, you might be a little disappointed - not many logs. But this is such a minor point, which is why I am still rating this property 5 stars. The service is wonderful.
- Also Known As:
- The Inn At Union Square Hotel San Francisco
- The Inn At Union Square Hotel
- Hotel At Union Square
- At Union Square Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Inn at Union Square is truly an urban retreat, in classic San Francisco style. The intimacy of our 30 elegant and restful rooms and suites provides the setting for our gracious staff to tend to your every need. From greeting you by name to making sure you have an umbrella when it rains- it is our pleasure to serve you. The Inn is located steps from Union Square- the city’s center for shopping, theatre and dining. If business is on the agenda, it is an easy stroll to the Financial District or the Moscone Convention Center. The Inn at Union Square is away from the crowd, in the center of everything. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Tingo, Priceline, Otel, Agoda and Venere so you can book your The Inn at Union Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.