“Great Location, Great Service and Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great Location, Great Service and Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

From the airport, this hotel is about a 20 minutes car ride. We didnt rent a car this trip but it costs us about 50 dollars for a taxi each way. Parking at the hotel I was told was over 50 dollars a day.
From the time we checked in tot he time we checked out the staff was very proffessional and kind. They told us about nearby restaurants to nearby shops. The Fairmont is walking distance to Union Square, and Chinatown. Going do 5 blocks was east but going back up wasnt so. But I like that kind of challenge so it didnt bother me.
The Fairmont does charge $13.00 a day for wifi, but if you sign up for the presidents club (which I didnt know until the last 2 days out of the 5 we were there) they will waive the fee. The bellboys and the conciere were also great. We booked a hop on hop off tour bus with them and it worked out great. Our view was amazing from our hotel with the view of downtown. No complaints, I would definately go back there.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I really, really, want to give the Fairmont SF a 5, but there were a few little things that weren't perfect. And for what we spent on our suite, it should have been perfect. A suite is more extravagant than is usual for us, but it was a special occasion (milestone birthday) and we splurged.

The service, as expected, was excellent. Front desk, housekeeping, bell staff, concierge -- everyone was friendly and helpful. We arrived around noon and they were able to check us in, which we really appreciated. The hotel itself is beautiful, a historic building with an awe-inspiring lobby and great photos and artifacts of the hotel's history along the walls of the hallways. Our daughter is very active in Model United Nations and got a real kick out of being able to go into the room where the UN Charter was drafted.

Our suite, on a corner of the tower, had a beautiful view of the city and the bay, and the telescope in the room is a nice touch. We had plenty of room and everything was very comfortable. But the couch was a little worn, and the carpet had some stains. The bathroom was what i'd expect to find in a Sheraton or a Hilton - it was perfectly adequate (clean, decent amenities, etc.) but it was nothing special--in fact, it was pretty small. For a suite, this was disappointing. Also, we called housekeeping and asked for extra coffee cups so we could make coffee in the room (we'd already used the cups we had); we waited about 20 minutes, then gave up and my husband went out to get us coffee. While he was gone, I got a call from housekeeping asking if we still wanted the cups. Well, not anymore! And don't even get me started on paying many hundreds of dollars a night for a room and then being charged for wifi. (Yes, I know all the nice hotels do it, but that doesn't make it any less annoying)

So, our complaints are very minor; we were happy overall and if we were in a position to splurge like this again, we'd certainly consider coming back. But at this price point, and at a hotel with the reputation of this one, even minor complaints result in a less-than-perfect rating.

San Diego, California
1,383 helpful votes 1,383 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I was in San Francisco on business and stayed here for one night. The hotel is really gorgeous. Gorgeous building and lobby and the suite I was in was AMAZING. I am a Fairmont President's Club Premier member and I had an upgrade to a suite in my account so I used it on a recent stay. They upgraded me to the Windsor Suite on the 5th floor and it was beautiful!

It was very large. About 750 sq. feet. I was just alone so didn't need all that room but look at the photos I posted on Trip Advisor and you can get a glimpse of how big it is. I had a beautiful view as well. This was in the Main Building. I wouldn't have stayed in it if I didn't have the upgrade in my account as it is about $1,000 per night for these suites.

I ordered room service twice (dinner and breakfast) and it was good and fast both times. Excellent service. Everyone at the hotel was polite.

The one downside is that they didn't allow me to use some Dining Certificates I had in my Fairmont Account. I had dinner certificates and breakfast certificates in my account. I've stayed at many Fairmont Hotels and never had problems using them when I got room service but they said at check-out that they can't do that.

So that was a big bummer and the only negative of my stay.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

What a fantastic hotel; perfectly located, friendly service, beautiful rooms, gorgeous lobby ...

The entrance into the lobby is a wonderful introduction to what will be a beautiful stay at The Fairmont. Our room was located in the Tower and had spectacular views over the Bay. The beds were wonderful as was the bathroom and housekeeping.

I could not say enough good things about The Fairmont and would stay no where else in San Francisco!

Room Tip: We stayed in the tower and the views over the bay were spectacular!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
FairmontSF, Online Marketing Manager at The Fairmont San Francisco, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. We are thrilled to hear from such a seasoned traveler as yourself, and particularly a Fairmont President's Club loyalty member. I'm happy you found the suite so beautiful and spacious, I'm sure that was a nice treat to have all to yourself. I'm sorry to hear of the incident with the dining certificate. I will follow up with team regarding the matter. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.
Blaine, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My husband, two year old son and I stayed 2 nights here and had a wonderful stay. All of the staff, from the valet, bell hop, front desk, housekeeping and room service personnel were more than friendly. We stayed in a king room on a lower level. I had read reviews that there was a lot of street noise from the lower level rooms, but our room was back from the street overlooking the courtyard, so street noise was at a minimum. We even had a little bit of a water view.

The room was clean and the website said it had been remodeled in 2014. The bed was very comfortable. We had room service breakfast one morning which was very good. Although valet parking was expensive, it seems to be on par with other San Francisco hotel rates.

The hotel is in a great location. We hopped on a trolley outside of the hotel one day and walked to North Beach twice. The hill going back to the hotel from North Beach and China town is a killer, but doable while walking.

A tip: sign up for the free President's Club program and your in-room internet will be complimentary.

I would stay here again and will be recommending this hotel to others.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Thank you for your extremely kind words about the hotel. We are thrilled to hear you had such a great stay and certainly can't ask for much more than a "perfect stay". As we pride ourselves on service, it's great to hear of your interactions with the staff. Thanks again for your kind words and we hope to welcome you and your family again in the near future.
Seaford, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Very impressed with everything about this hotel. Every staff member we dealt with was great. The rooms are very nice and spacious. Everything was super clean. Paid wifi was spotty. Kept getting disconnected and it was slow.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
FairmontSF, Online Marketing Manager at The Fairmont San Francisco, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. I'm pleased to hear you experienced such great service and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Tustin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We were lucky to be put in a room with 180 degrees view of SF. The room is spacious and the bed is heavenly. The lobby has such elegance of a by gone era. The surrounding area is safe and clean. Highly recommended.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We're thrilled you had such a nice visit and look forward to your return.
Lucas Schumacher

Been to The Fairmont San Francisco? Share your experiences!