“Courteous Fairmont Service” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Courteous Fairmont Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Spectacular views of the bay from the 20th floor. Ok amenities in the room are made up with very good and professional service. Make sure you visit the lounge where you'll find some of San Franciscos best cocktails. While the property is not really withiin walking distance with the exception of the pier we really didn't fine that to be an issue. There are always several cabs waiting out front or just you uber as we did. if your a Fairmont fan which we are you'll most definitely enjoy this property.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor facing the bay.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
FairmontSF, Online Marketing Manager at The Fairmont San Francisco, responded to this review, yesterday
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I'm pleased to hear you experienced such great service and found the views from the tower spectacular. They are truly second to none and part of what make the hotel so special. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.
Lucas Schumacher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Gadsden, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night at the end of our wine country visit. The hotel was very busy due to a large convention in town but everyone we came in contact with treated us as if we were the only guests in the hotel. William greeted us at the door and from then on we experienced superb service from the check-in staff, to the helpful concierge, to the bell staff, to the maids. Everyone we came into contact provided excellent and friendly service and went out of their way to accommodate any requests that we had. I have always enjoyed staying at Fairmont properties and we are already planning our return visit to this property.

Room Tip: The view from the tower rooms offer amazing views of the bay.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your extremely kind words about the hotel. We are thrilled you had such a wonderful stay and encountered such engaging service. We appreciate your kind words and look forward to welcoming you in the future.
Auburn, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

this is a great hotel, the staff are very accommodating, the area is safe and clean yet walkable to many areas in the city (if you don't mind hills). Rooms recently upgraded and tasteful! overall a great stay

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your very kind words about the hotel. I'm thrilled you had such a nice visit and you felt so spoiled! Thanks again and we look forward to your return.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Great location overlooking San Francisco. The room was beautiful with plenty of room. Easy hop on several different cable car lines to connect easily anywhere in the city. A couple of local gems are within very easy walking distance: the cable car museum (not to be missed, especially after a few rides to and from the hotel) and the cathedral. It is not a cheap place to stay, but I loved it.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the cathedral and the rooms on that side seemed to be bigger.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Thank you for your very kind words about the hotel. I'm pleased you found the hotel beautiful and location great. As you may or may not know, we are actually located at the only point in the city where all the cable car lines meet. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you again in the future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Even though the stay at the Fairmont was ok, I was very disappointed about the quality of some of the room amenities. The sink had a crack, the shower head was completely covered in lime and the mattress had seen better days as well. The breakfast/brunch is good as always. I like that they serve honey harvested from the bee hives on the hotel roof.
In all, very disappointed. Luckily there an alternative across the street (Huntington Hotel). I don't think I will stay here again...

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a recently renovated room to make sure that you get a decent mattress.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I'm sorry to hear of the condition of some of your room amenities. We strive to provide excellent value to all our guests and I'm sorry we fell short in your case. I hope that you would be willing to return and allow us to give you experience you deserve.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I'm a huge Fairmont fan, as evidenced by several other reviews I have written, so it was with great anticipation that I headed to the Fairmont San Francisco for a National Convention I was attending. I organized my whole group and we had a courtesy Balcony Suite for entertaining.

Loved the building. It is a grand old hotel refurbished enough to make it feel fresh but not loose any of the character that comes with such a building. The Nob Hill location is central and the perch it sits on gives you an opportunity for many different vista's. Our balcony suite had a decent city view with water views thru an alley between the main building and the Tower and some beyond the skyline. Probably the least appealing available for the few Balcony suites, but nonetheless, not tragic. I can only imagine how dramatic a view from the back of the hotel can be overlooking the Bay. I really loved the property and the recent renovation of the 3rd floor was done extremely well and lent an elegance to the accommodations.

After many years as an exclusive Ritz Carlton client, I was lured to Fairmont with a 5 hotel stay over 2 weeks in Western Canada. What an amazing run that was and uniformly from Pacific Rim, to Whistler, to Jasper, Lake Louise and the amazing Banff Springs property, our contact with the Fairmont staff was amongst the best we have ever received... Fairmont may want to consider taking their name off of this building until they can affect the type of culture change necessary for such a prestigious property and bearing the Fairmont name.

Off the top of my head, here are some instances....
- The Doorman are atrocious. In fact, as I was leaving this morning it was unattended at the door. Not only do they not greet you, but in at least a couple of cases, they stood around chatting with each other and other waiting drivers as my driver worked to get into the portico and ultimately open our doors... This is your first contact and it is a clear indication of an uninspired staff that walks like zombies throughout the property.

- Any greeting of a client is a rarity through the property. That is culture through many luxury properties in this competitive hospitality world.

- There was a line at the desk as 2 young ladies attempted to move as fast as they could during what appeared to be a busy check in time. The desk was clearly undermanned, but I had no fear as I am a Presidents Club member and could go "directly to the Presidents club desk to be given my keys" as the pre-arrival email indicated. But, it too was unmanned. So I waited 5-10 minutes until a distracted gentleman wandered behind the desk as if he was looking for something. Feeling my gaze, he reluctantly said "are you being helped".. and my check in began.
It should be noted that the room was ready and I was thanked for participating in the "pre-check" process that alerts them of my arrival. Great process.

- The usually singly manned Concierge desk was quite the talk of my friends, although I did not personally use them. The comments were that they were abrupt, rude and completely unhelpful. Concierge are the ones that need to exude the highest level of service, even as all else fails.

- The property has many different elevators in different sizes. On one day, 6 of us were together and squeezed into an elevator that allowed "6" according to the certificate. When our elevator stopped at another floor, a member of the Bell staff was waiting as the door opened. He proceeded to walk forward and basically squeeze himself in putting us over, but even more importantly, "SQUEEZING ALL THE GUESTS?" Great hotels today have trained their personnel to actually leave an elevator for the benefit of a guest.... here, their fundamentals are so flawed that they actually impose upon the guests.

- Lastly, forget room service. One night, while entertaining, we ordered Chicken tenders, wings an French fries... we had some 20 people and as the night dragged and people began to adjourn, we waited and waited... finally, 2 hours and 15 minutes later, with only 5 people left, the door opened with 3 huge plates of chicken and two seemingly barrels of French fries. One of our people ordered and I'm not sure how they ordered, but this could have fed the whole floor.... So here I was with 500 worth of chicken and French fries and no one to share with.... I had to laugh in the morning when I woke and went to the parlor for coffee and had to maneuver around the piles of chicken and fries... On another occasion it took 4 hours and multiple phone calls to get a bottle of scotch sent up for one of our guests...

Listen, I hate to be so harsh, but this property, Fairmont and most of all the guests deserve better. So, I figured it was a worthy opportunity to share so that perhaps this property could move to the type of experience worthy of the Brand and the Building.

And in a place such as this, it is never without its bright lights. Jane from Food and Beverage and, while new to the job, was very accommodating and quite sweet. She took special care to make sure we were ok when she was on property. Tommy, has worked Bell Services for some 45 years or perhaps more. He is an institution and I was very happy to have met him shortly after arrival. Gracious host... unfortunately, I never got to see him again. Our bellman leaving was similarly pleasant and efficient.

Also worthy of note is I had an opportunity to be in the Penthouse a few evenings with friends. It is one of the singularly most spectacular accommodations I have ever seen.

I have written of how staff members in other Fairmonts have been of such high character that they have become friends and actually prompted us to return for that reason. On my last night, one of those people, Jason Lewis, the asst manager of the Rundle Lounge, gave me my best and only "wow" moment and he did it all the way from Banff, 1200 miles away.. A bottle of wine with a note in it compliments of Jason. He had remembered me mentioning my upcoming trip to San Francisco and wanted to make my experience special. Can you imagine putting that type of talent and the Fairmont culture into this property? 6 stars might be necessary. But as it is the clumbsy and uninspired overall service drags this property to 3 stars...

Room Tip: Try hard for a Bay view. It is really spectacular.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
FairmontSF, Online Marketing Manager at The Fairmont San Francisco, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to share your extremely detailed feedback about your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate it and I would like to put you in contact with our hotel manager so that he might address your stay personally. While I'm very pleased you found the hotel itself beautiful, the colleagues are what make the property what it is and clearly we fell short during your stay. If you could email me at lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks very much and I anxiously await your response.
Milford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I stayed at this hotel during my trip to San Francisco for the NADA convention! The location is not that great. There is not much in walking distance if you're looking for food outside the hotel. If you have ever been to San Francisco you will know that the hills are very difficult to walk up and down which makes it hard to go find anything outside the hotel to eat or drink.
If you are staying at the Fairmont you must not be that worried about money since it is a pricey place. But for someone like myself on a business trip the food was very outrageously priced! Breakfast was about $30, dinner near $45 (no alcohol).
Don't expect to work out here either since the gym cost $15 per day and it is tiny. Bring walking shoes and go outside to do some hills! The trolley line is right outside the hotel which makes for a fun ride!
The rooms are very beautiful and spacious! If you have a room facing the road you will hear the trolley go by and ring the bells every hour!

All in all it was a beautiful place to stay overpriced, and location was not prime!

Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I'm pleased to hear you found the hotel beautiful and well-appointed. I can certainly appreciate your preference for a more bustling location and than you for your feedback.
Lucas Schumacher

Been to The Fairmont San Francisco? Share your experiences!