“Rude and not accomodating” 1 of 5 stars

20% Off Room/Food & Drink
Ranked #11 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, California, United States
“Rude and not accomodating”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I made a reservation late last night for next week , and needed to cancel it within 12 hours due to confusion over the reservation. I was passed the buck to six different people, two of whom laughed at me, and finally to the manager that refused to give me 500 dollars back for the error. Bad customer service, especially under the circumstances and within 12 hours of the reservation. Merry Christmas fairmont hotel. I will never return.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Lincoln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Truly a World Class Hotel. The staff were extremely professional and very attentive to detail. The front desk was helpful. The rooms were very well appointed and the location was great. We will definitely stay there again when in San Francisco.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Currently staying at this hotel. I had such high expectations coming to this hotel but all that came crashing down in a heart beat. We were locked out of our room at 9.30pm after ordering room service due to extra charges on our room. Someone else had charged $120 for breakfast to our room. When we told the front desk that we had been locked out of the room, we were then asked for ID. Our ID was in the room you had locked us out of! The staff upon check in did not let us know of hotel policy so charge after charge was added on and we had no clue about it. The staff who handled the situation did not handle it appropriately at all and had passed it onto a manager, we had to go back down and that manager had finished her shift so obviously nothing had been done to help our situation. On our first night, the window did not shut and had to call someone to come at 11.30pm to shut it or else we would have be cold throughout the night. As I said, I had such high expectations for this hotel but I am extremely disappointed. Although, we have another night left here before we head to another city, I already want to leave.

• Stayed December 2014
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed here three nights for a business conference at a wonderful rate of $249 per night. Lovely lobby, quick check-in (looks like an old fashioned check in desk from 1930). Lobby all decorated for Christmas and beautiful, although the seating is sparse, I assume this is due to the massive Christmas tree. Lots of people in and out for holiday tea with the little ones.

OK, lots of good stuff to report!

My room was on the 3rd floor of the older part of the hotel. I joined the President's Club when I made the reservation, and the desk clerk said she upgraded my room, so I believe these rooms (street side) are much larger than the usual rooms. The ceilings are quite tall and the window (which opens slightly) provides lots of natural light. The hallways are very nice and even have a bit of glitz with glittering stones in the light sconces. The "key" is a card you tap against the door pad to enter (battery operated, which was nice later on when the lights went out). As you walk in, there was a nice bath on the right, with a marble vanity and a nice soaking tub. Two plush robes were hanging on the door.

Across the entryway, there is a massive closet. I mean huge - bigger than my walk-in at home. Great fun for dressing, but there were only 10 hangers for this enormous closet - wth? Great mirror, too, and I'm highly suspicious that it was angled to show you at your best! There is a safe and a few cubby spaces for shoes and folded items.

The bed was incredibly comfy, although I like a bit more weight to the linens. I used the microfiber blanket in the closet to beef up the warmth. There were 4 pillows on the bed and I ended up using them all - they must be down filled, since they quickly mashed down to nothing. I travel with a satin pillowcase and shoved 2 of them in one case to make a firmer pillow. The mattress was heavenly and bedside lighting is great, with an outlet in the light for convenience.

There is a nice coffee bar in the credenza with a Keurig and four or more Kcups. There is also an expensive mini-bar with local and snack-y items like nuts and Ghirardelli chocolates (I would have much preferred an empty fridge for my water). There was a spacious desk near the window, which came in handy when the electricity went off due to a storm - I was able to put on my makeup and work with the light from the window. The TV was a large flat screen and had plenty of channels, even some premium sports ones.

Room service was prompt and brings you an entire rolling cart instead of a tray. Be warned that it is quite expensive - $5 delivery fee + 20% service charge on top of prices. There is a gift shop downstairs for drinks and snacks that were better priced. The food was vey good, however, and there was plenty of it.

This is an older hotel, and while they keep it very nice and it's age adds to the glamour, be advised to keep some things in mind. The wait was sometimes long for the elevator. There are a few sub-lobby floors and they are not well marked in the elevator - G, T, A and L were the buttons, I believe. If you have mobility issues, prepare for a long walk to the ballroom, Tonga room or coffee bar. Also, the hotel is not readily accessible through any public transportation except the trolley. Walking in any direction involves incredibly steep hills, up or down. One of the tourist attractions of SF is the hills - you'll get first hand knowledge if you venture out in the neighborhood :)

The bellmen outside are some of the nicest in the area - ask then for directions or info on the area. Prepare for crowds during the holiday season. I departed during an event (complete with bagpipes) and the wait for the valet was ten people deep (and expect to pay $55 for parking, which is about the norm for Nob Hill).

The meeting rooms are beautiful ad I hope they use them for public often. If you get a chance to visit the Crown Room, the views compare to none, looking out on Coit Tower and the Transamerica Pyramid, and on clear days, both bridges can be viewed. Spectacular at night!

The problems I had were few and I still loved this hotel.I'll outline them, but none were of a nature that would prevent me from returning.

1) Laurel Court is very expensive and there really are no low priced options nearby. Plan accordingly with your budget, your footwear, or your health. I tried to meet a business associate in the Laurel Court area at 10:30am (plenty of low, lush chairs and tables, 50% unoccupied) and told the waiter/greeter that. He said we could not sit down unless we were going to order food! And suggested we go to the basement coffee bar. Very embarrassing for me for my meeting and I would have asked for a manager if I had been alone.

2) Noise outside my 3rd floor room was incredibly loud with street noise and the sounds of the catering and service trucks. The garage across the street at the Mark Hopkins had a loud alarm that sounds at 7am each morning, and continues throughout the day. The trolley dings and clangs (charming for the first day). Bring earplugs.

3) The ice machine on my floor was out of order during the entire visit. Not once was anyone seen working on it and there were no directions on where to find the nearest working machine. I ended up climbing stairs each night to fill my ice bucket. I did ask room service to include ice with my meal one night.

Would I return again? Absolutely - especially for business and at that great rate. I recommend this hotel for any traveler that enjoys a bit of old style glamour and luxury.

Room Tip: join the President's Club for upgraded rooms and free wifi
Green Features: Saw regular ecological and recycling choices in the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Beautiful, old hotel with modern updates. We had a king room in the historic building and loved it. Panoramic views of the bay, Coit Tower, Alcatraz, and more. Great Nob Hill location. A quieter area than, for example, by Union Square or Market Street. Hotel is a quick walk to Chinatown and the main cable car lines. Room service was expensive but nicely done. We also received some special treats as we were celebrating a birthday. The lobby was decked out for the holidays. Somewhat crowded due to a conference, among other events. Overall, a lovely stay.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Calabasas, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed for a business meeting but were overwhelmed by the Christmas crowds coming to see the lobby decorations. Admittedly the giant gingerbread house is a cool attraction for families, however, the hotel is ill equipped to handle the crowds. Additionally they are horribly understaffed. Trying to have a cocktail in the lobby lounge was nearly impossible. The room in the old building are redone but not well soundproofed. The room is nicely redone and comfortable if you don't mind road noise, doormen whistling for taxis, noise continuously in the wide commodious hallways or housekeeping staff yelling to each other early on the morning. The walls were so thin that we awoke to the passionate romance being enjoyed next door. With so many great places to stay in the city I would never return here.

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
FairmontSF, Online Marketing Manager at The Fairmont San Francisco, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. It sounds like your experience was an uneven one and for that I apologize. As you noted the holidays are an extremely busy time at the hotel and the lobby can get quite full. I've shared your feedback with the staff and I thank you again for your review. Hopefully you would be willing to consider returning and allowing us the opportunity to give you the stay you deserve.
Lucas Schumacher
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We just stayed here for 2 nights with a 6 month old baby and a 3 year old. It was awesome! My husband was staying here as part of his MBA program and we tagged along. Without any prior knowledge of the hotel we were so happy when we arrived! It is so magical in December with gingerbread houses and beautiful Christmas trees in the lobby. Our room was very comfortable with a great view, and the food was tasty, if a little spendy. We ordered room service a lot; food came in about 30 min. Location is perfect; we walked to the cathedral, the park, and hopped in a cable car within like a 5 block radius. Didn't have to hassle driving or taking a taxi while schlepping 2 car seats. Got slightly fed up with the crowds in the lobby by the end of our stay (hordes of people dressed in red) but forgot about this annoyance while inside our room. Would stay here again in a second! Even with small kiddos. Just so much to see in the hotel, you feel like you've been somewhere even if you don't really leave the hotel.

Stayed December 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I'm happy you and your family were able to join your husband on his trip. The holidays are a very special time at the hotel and I'm sure a very pleasant surprise for you and your children. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you and your family again in the near future.
Lucas Schumacher

Been to The Fairmont San Francisco? Share your experiences!