“Nice Hotel But Difficult Location” 4 of 5 stars

20% Off Room/Food & Drink
Ranked #16 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Nice Hotel But Difficult Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

This hotel is very nice but is located at the top of Nob Hill which is very steep. For those young and out of shape, you can conquer the hill after a few nights of adjusting your calves, but older folk may have difficulty managing the hill. Fortunately, there are numerous transportation options, so if you are not in the mood to walk up the hill one time, a cab can help you out.

For some reason, the rooms at the hotel vary greatly. Although all of the rooms are very nice, some are bigger than others and furniture can differ. The bathroom was a bit small for my taste, especially since the closet was a walk-in (which is unnecessary in my book), but it was still nice.

One thing to note is that the infamous Tonga Room located in the hotel is only open Wed-Sun, so we missed our opportunity thinking we could go on a Monday or Tuesday night. I've heard it's a must see.

Room Tip: Join the President's Club before booking and you can get upgraded rooms, free wi-fi, and free ac...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Muenchenstein, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Spent 2 nights recently at the Fairmont in San Francisco. The Belle Epoque interior is very charming, the restaurant serves excellent food to decent prices.
What I didn't understand is why the fitness / SPA area is not included in the price (standard in most hotels of this price range).
Room and bathroom are very clean and in good shape, I felt very well.
The desk service is very attentive and eager to help, staff is extremely friendly and forthcoming.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
FairmontSF, Online Marketing Manager at The Fairmont San Francisco, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. I'm very pleased to hear you enjoyed the hotel and found the decor charming. I did want to point out that members of our FPC loyalty program receive complimentary WiFi and gym access, amongst numerous other benefits. I apologize if you weren't made aware of that fact. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you again in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Stayed here over a weekend in February to celebrate my birthday. I booked two rooms initially because with 4 kids, it was getting harder and harder to get by with one. We live only an hour away and this was just a way to really relax and enjoy the city.
Upon arrival, they realized that they have away the last adjoining room and was left with 2 rooms, 2 floors apart. Well, that didn't work for me given that I have a 2 year old and a 5 year old.
Anyway, they put us up in the MacArthur Suite. It was a 2 bedroom 2 bath complete with a full kitchen, a living room and a formal dining. The suite was exquisite with original hard wood flooring and beautiful vintage chandeliers. The only thing missing was a view of Union Square. Instead we had the view of Morton's and Sak's but who really cares when you're staying in this suite?

Stayed August 2014
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us and happy birthday! I'm very pleased that you and your family had such a nice visit and enjoyed your suite. That particular suite is quite unique and offers a more historic feel compared to the more modern decor of the newly renovated rooms. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you and your family again in the near future.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

I stayed at the Fairmont for a business meeting. I will say everyone at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. The meeting rooms were nice and things went according to plan. The food at the meetings was only average but not bad. My room was in the original building and was spacious and nice. I had a large walk in closet, which helps. The bathroom was updated but small, no separate shower and tub. This worked for me as I was alone but might be a bit cramped for two people. You will be charged $13.95 per day for internet. My bed was very comfortable and I had a view of the water if I turned my head to the right. The location is Nob Hill which is great for sightseeing. I would definitely recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. I'm thrilled to hear you had such a nice stay with us and found the staff so helpful. The closets in the historic main building are quite large and offer a glimpse into the historic luxury we are know for. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you again in the future.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

You will appreciate the grand design and beauty of this hotel when you walk in the door. It's classy from start to finish, excellent accommodations and staff. The lobby bar is a nice place to relax, it seems like there were locals having happy hour too. Sign up for the loyalty program and get the extras.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks very much for your kind words about the hotel. I'm happy to hear you found the hotel beautiful and classy. I'm also pleased you joined our FPC loyalty program. Thanks again for you kind words and we look forward to your return.
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

The Fairmont San Francisco was my first hotel for my first time visit in San Francisco! So worth it! I have left several reviews in the recent past concerning my love for luxury hotels but I also like to find the best deals. I went directly to their website and looked for a good deal and received a summer deal that was something along the lines of a beautiful city view in one of their renovated tower rooms (I would recommend you look for a room in the new tower side) that was stay for four nights / pay for three. Considering that luxury hotel rates in San Francisco could range up to over $600 per night, paying the average around $430 wasn't too bad.

Hotel stay: The Fairmont is historic and is the first Fairmont in the US. It is beautiful and has a class "old world" feel mixed with of course the new renovations. Breakfast here is amazing and you won't be disappointed. We only ate here for one of the mornings, however, because there are so many great restaurants to try out in San Francisco. More on this later . . . The rooms have a more modern décor which play nicely in contrast to the building itself. Bathroom is a nice size with large separate garden tub and a standing shower. Location is on Nob Hill and in walking distance within the city but the view on Nob Hill is breathtaking. A few blocks over, you can walk easily into the Chinatown district and there are lots to "bargain" for - definitely a can't miss on a trip to San Francisco.

I spent time shopping on Union Street (not Union Square). Don't miss Ambiance (a San Fran boutique which was voted as the top boutique for women's apparel) if you go to Union Street and I recommend going to Union Street Shops (and the website). Lots of cool patio restaurants here and great local shops. You can walk here but I took a cab (walk would be an easy 20-30 minutes).

Finally, dining wise, we didn't have enough time to go to a lot of places but personally went to The Slanted Door (Asian fusion), Allegro Romano (my FAVORITE during our stay with great personalized feel, food, and ambiance) for Italian, Wayfare Tavern (amazing dessert donuts!!!! and food here is southern / New American with a "twist" - restaurant owned by Tyler Florence), and an amazing brunch place off of California Street called MyMy (unique breakfast and lunch options). Of course, you can't miss Humphrey Slocumb ice cream - yummy cool flavors.

Hope this review helps on places to stay and places to see! Loved San Francisco and loved The Fairmont. Will definitely come back due to beauty of the place, accessibility, and location.

Room Tip: Book in the renovated tower rooms
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
FairmontSF, Online Marketing Manager at The Fairmont San Francisco, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. I'm thrilled you had such a nice first visit to San Francisco and we were a part of it. I'm pleased you were able to find such a great deal on our website, as many guests don't realize this is always the best place to find a deal.Your trip sounds like an amazing one that was packed of fun activities and delicious food. Though I appreciate all of the restaurants on your list, I am also a big fan of Humphry Slocombe! Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back for your second visit to the City by the Bay.
Sandown, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I had always wanted to stay at the Fairmont and finally elected to do so. Everything was seamless from the reservation to the check in process. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. The rooms were spacious, clean, and offered all the best amenities right down to plush robes during our stay. The lobby was immense and spectacular to both walk through and in which to relax. This Hotel is the pure definition of luxury and attentiveness.We will certainly stay here again when visiting San Francisco.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. I'm very pleased you were able to finally stay with us and that we lived up to your expectations. We are proud to offer a high level of luxury and service to our guests and it sounds as though you agree. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Lucas Schumacher

Been to The Fairmont San Francisco? Share your experiences!