“My 5 day stay” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Donatello Hotel to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
The Donatello Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   501 Post Street, cross street - Mason Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
15% Off Discount
Ranked #16 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level

1,919 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed at the Donatello Hotel over the Easter Weekend and couldn't have been happier. The service was top notch. The head concierge ( Peter) was extremely helpful as was Marco at the front desk. The downstairs concierge (friendly blonde lady) also gave us good tips. We attended the Friday night cocktail event and enjoyed that quite a bit. The room was very large and comfortable. We stayed on the 5th floor which as a large outdoor terrace. The location is great - in Union Square close to shopping. We ate breakfast close by at Lilly's Diner and Cafe Mason both were good. I would stay here again without hesitation. Beds were extremely comfortable and large. Thanks to the Donatello for offering military discounts which helped make our trip affordable.

Room Tip: The 5th floor location is great if you want to be able to go outside as there is a large terrace.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Recently stayed for two nights. I don't travel a great deal in the US, so it might be that hotels are of a generally lower standard in Western Europe (odd if they weren't) but I find this hotel to be quite similar to a European 3 star hotel.

Especially the lobby and exterior is quite dated. The same can be said about the elevator and the other common areas. The rooms, however, are large in size, some of them even feature a kitchenette - which can be handy. Upon reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, I specifically asked for a room at the back (not facing the busy main road at the front). My request was granted by without being too fussy I'd say that traffic noise could still be heard.

The location is excellent though, just a few blocks from Union Square. The staff was also reasonably friendly. Free wifi also a big plus.

I'd probably try another hotel whenever back in San Francisco.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back for slightly less noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed here for a week and found this hotel to be very nice. It was conveniently located to my conference and San Fran in general. I guess they recently did a major update in this hotel and it showed. I found the room to be very nice. It had a king size bed, couch with a pull out, a small kitchen area with dishes, microwave, and fridge. I am a guy so the bathroom was fine but my wife would have felt it was rather small. There would not be room for two people to getting ready to go out in the bathroom.
It was mentioned by several others that it was rather loud outside. I was on the 10th floor and I was woken up by several things like garbage trucks, people playing on drums, etc. But hey this is San Fran and this seems to happen at all the hotels there I have stayed in. I would recommend you bring a sound machine or ear plugs if your a light sleeper. They are right next to a Night Club that lets out at 2:00AM.
I found the front desk person named Jesus extremely friendly and helpful. He always greeted me with a smile and even gave me a free pass for the trolley that he wasnt going to us. I greatly appreciated his willingness to help me with my questions.
I also found that the hotel had a hidden gem of a bar on the restaurant floor. The bartender Ryan was amazing. The Happy Hour drinks and food were great. This happened twice daily.
Lastly if your there on a Friday be sure to join the free wine and cheese/crackers party on the club floor. The club floor was a great place to relax and sit outside on their deck and take in the sites of the city. Head up to the Club Floor daily for a good free cup of coffee or tea.

Room Tip: Go as high as possible to avoid the noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed here for two nights with my mother and daughter. Hotel staff were very friendly, helpful and interested in looking out for you. Room was clean and comfortable. Location is great. Cannot say I had a restful night's sleep though. In looking back at others reviews, I see noise is a big problem here. We happened to be there over St Patty's Day weekend and both nights, the noise from outside was unbelievable. We were on the 7th floor facing the street and heard people and beer bottles and trash trucks all night into the wee hours of the morning. I live in a city. I am used to noise. This was not normal. Hotel should do something, somehow to fix that problem.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The hotel is in the union square area and only a 10min walking distance to China town. If you are in San Francisco for shopping, this location would work extremely well. There are a lot of coffee shops and restaurants in the area. However, it can be quite noisy outside at night and early morning (our room faced the street) being in the heart of all the hustle and bustle. If you want to do things in the Fisherman's Warf/Pacific heights vicinity, then this location may not be ideal. We did not try public transportation, so I cannot comment on that, but cabs were very easy to find and it cost us around $10-12 cab ride to get Fisherman's Wharf area. The hotel staff is very friendly. They gave us good tips on how to get around in the area when we checked in. They do have complimentary WiFi, which is always a plus! The room itself was pretty spacious. Parts of the room seemed updated, yet the bathroom was pretty outdated. However, it was all clean, which is what matters. You should know that breakfast is not included, but there area a couple great diners and cafes within that block that will not bust the budget.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the main street if it is possible as they can be very noisy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Other than the extremely loud people screaming outside at 2am and the banging noises (sounded like construction or a dumpster continuously being rammed by a truck) that went on for about thirty minutes around 4am, our stay was wonderful. Possibly invest in some sound-proof windows. :) We were on the eighth floor facing the street. The staff was excellent and the room was very clean, comfortable and nice.

• Stayed March 2013
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to The Donatello Hotel? Share your experiences!